Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Aug 2009 at 11:02 PM
Default SimPE - can't save .package files
I'm trying to create a clean neighbourhood to import my custom townie names, using this tutorial. However, I can't replace the Pets and Seasons neighbourhoods with an empty version.

I open SimPE, create a new file, click Save As and browse to find P001_Neighborhood.package. I try and replace the file with the empty one from SimPE, and get the error message "Access to the path "pathnamehere" is denied".

So then I saved the empty file under the name P001, with the idea that I would delete P001_Neighbourhood.package and rename the new one manually. P001 shows up when I browse in SimPE, but when I browse using Windows Explorer it doesn't show up in the folder it's saved in. I have got explorer set to show hidden files and folders, but it doesn't show up at all.

I suspect this is because of some setting in Vista, not SimPE, but I don't know how to fix it. I only got Vista today, previously I was running SimPE in XP with no problems. Even though I'm the administrator and there's only one user account on this laptop, I've got a few messages saying I'm not authorised to do things. I suspect the "access is denied" error is because of security settings.

I'd really appreciate any suggestions on how to fix this.
Advertisement
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#2 Old 8th Aug 2009 at 12:03 AM
Access denied should only come up if your trying to access a folder such as Program Files, or any area critical to the safety of the OS and applications. If your saving to the Neighborhoods folder in Documents then it is considered owned by you and should not give an error. It could be giving it though if you are trying to overwrite it, but I don't think I've had that issue.

Are you sure your navigating to the one in Documents and not the one in Program Files??

The folder you want is not a hidden folder. Folder structure is a little different on Vista, way more confusing than it needed to be. You can find your documents either by going to Start / Username or Computer / Users. It's not much different than XP, it's just not "My" anymore.

The best option is to not write directly, or unzip directly into the critical folders. Use another and copy/paste to the right one. Have you tried using search? It's one of the few nice new features, imo, of Vista.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 8th Aug 2009 at 10:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by HugeLunatic
Access denied should only come up if your trying to access a folder such as Program Files, or any area critical to the safety of the OS and applications. If your saving to the Neighborhoods folder in Documents then it is considered owned by you and should not give an error. It could be giving it though if you are trying to overwrite it, but I don't think I've had that issue.

Are you sure your navigating to the one in Documents and not the one in Program Files??

The folder you want is not a hidden folder. Folder structure is a little different on Vista, way more confusing than it needed to be. You can find your documents either by going to Start / Username or Computer / Users. It's not much different than XP, it's just not "My" anymore.

The best option is to not write directly, or unzip directly into the critical folders. Use another and copy/paste to the right one. Have you tried using search? It's one of the few nice new features, imo, of Vista.

Thanks for the reply. It is the NeighbourhoodTemplate folder in Program Files, since I want to stop the game spawning its own playable sims when I make a new neighbourhood.

I figured out a way around it this morning - if I right click SimPE in the start menu and choose 'run as administrator' I no longer get the access denied message, and I've successfully replaced the files with empty versions.