Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Sep 2012 at 5:49 PM
Default Borked normals after mapping in Blender and reimporting to Milkshape
Hi,
I recently taught a friend how to mesh, she wanted to make objects and I normally mesh clothing so I am not that familiar with meshing objects. I have done a beginner mesh tutorial in the past unsing uvmapper for mapping but I didn't particularly like that tool and wanted to use Blender for mapping. Now I have two questions regarding Blender.
One: We had a problem with our uvmap (uvmap appeared scrambled on the mesh but the uvmap itself was perfectly fine) after mapping similar objects (like the upside and underside of a table surface) to one spot. Is there anything we have to consider or might have done wrong?

After the meshing (we now mapped everything next to each other instead of on top of another and now the uvmap was fine) we imported the mesh back into Blender, where we have meshed it. The "import wavefront.obj uv only" function was not working, so we imported the whole mesh we exported as wavefront object from blender, but now it seems like the normals are borked, the table is very shiny and has weird shadow effects. I attached a picture of it. I tried "smooth all" and "align normals", both functions didn't do anything.
Any advice?
Thanks!
Screenshots
Advertisement
Sockpuppet
#2 Old 7th Sep 2012 at 8:21 PM
Blender might have welded the seams on import.
You can check that by enabling autosmooth, select the mesh, mirror and mirror it back.
If it looks ok after then you prolly have just one little seam to fix on the side.(Blender only smoothed all normals then)
If it doesn't you have to divide the seams by either ungrouping the parts, alligne normals and regroup them again.(Blender has welded the seams then.)

Another ''quick fix'' is to enable autosmooth and choose modelcleaner from the tools menu.
It will divide the meshseams with the uvmap as reference(click no on the popups, then ok)

The shiny part are most likly not the normals but a assigned material to the mesh.
Delete the material in the materials tab
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 7th Sep 2012 at 11:42 PM
Thanks for the reply and for the advice!
Blender apparently welded the mesh together on export. Using the model cleaner worked!
Now I just need to figure out the problem with mapping similar pieces of a mesh to the same spot with Blender.

Quote: Originally posted by BloomsBase
Blender might have welded the seams on import.
You can check that by enabling autosmooth, select the mesh, mirror and mirror it back.
If it looks ok after then you prolly have just one little seam to fix on the side.(Blender only smoothed all normals then)
If it doesn't you have to divide the seams by either ungrouping the parts, alligne normals and regroup them again.(Blender has welded the seams then.)

Another ''quick fix'' is to enable autosmooth and choose modelcleaner from the tools menu.
It will divide the meshseams with the uvmap as reference(click no on the popups, then ok)

The shiny part are most likly not the normals but a assigned material to the mesh.
Delete the material in the materials tab