Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Oct 2010 at 9:14 AM
Default Sim won't go to her/his bed?
This is an old bug, but I was just wondering if anybody has figured out the technical reasons why my Sim will sometimes refuse to go to her/his bed because something is blocking the way?

I would prompt the Sim to go to bed, he stands there, shrugs as if there is something in the way, and then does something else instead of going to bed...

Is there an interaction like "reading a book in bed", or perhaps maybe the Sim was trying to get out of the bed while rising, but a Sim was in the way...and that's the reason for the bug?

How do I prevent this bug from happening before it begins...

Any feedback would be great. Thanks!
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 10th Oct 2010 at 10:09 AM
I think there is simply something blocking the sim's path, which you don't recognize. For example, this just happened to me yesterday: My sim is visiting in a house which I've never been in before. Getting into the double bed was impossible for my sim or the other sim, the route-fail thing happens. As it turns out, the problem was the end tables which are on both sides of the bed. Usually these end tables are no problem, but this bed and end tables were placed along a diagonal wall, the room is not square, more like a triangle. So the bed and tables are at an angle, sticking into the room. By looking at it, there was plenty of space on both sides of the bed for sims to walk there, to get into the bed, but they couldn't. Moving the end tables away from the bed fixed it, the bed was fine, sims were fine.

MedievalMods and Sims3mods: Dive Cave Reset Fix, Resort Revamp, Industrial Oven Revamp, Will O' Wisp fix, UI Sounds Disabled, No Cars, Gnome Family Planner, Townies Out on the Town, No Martial Arts Clothes, Fast Skilling, etc. http://simsasylum.com/tfm/
Forum Resident
#3 Old 10th Oct 2010 at 5:15 PM
This is going to sound really stupid, but if your absolutely certain that nothing can be causing a routefail then try just picking the bed up in Buy Mode and then putting it back again.

Severedsolo's Simcredible Mods ALL my mods, including ones that have not made it to MTS yet. LATEST ADDITION - SNEAKING OUT FIX FOR GENERATIONS

Please do not PM me asking for help. Use the Help section.
Field Researcher
#4 Old 10th Oct 2010 at 5:34 PM
Get them to walk to a place which is near the bed. Often, their complain become move obvious than when you send them directly to bed.

Also, they will not sleep with someone they don't know much. If you just created two new Sims and made them roommates, often you have a plan of getting them to love each other, but if that didn't happen yet, the Sim won't want to go to bed with the other one. Yet.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 11th Oct 2010 at 3:19 AM
When this has happened to me, I just sell the bed and buy a new one. Hey presto, Sim finally stops being an idiot and goes to sleep
Field Researcher
#6 Old 11th Oct 2010 at 4:10 AM Last edited by twilightgarden0 : 11th Oct 2010 at 5:36 AM.
I had this happen to Bob and Betty. They didn't sleep for a night or two before I even noticed anything was wrong. Once I paid closer attention, I saw Bob doing a routefail and refusing to go to the bed to try for a baby. I tried everything. I picked the bed up and put it back down, I stood them right next to the bed before telling them to sleep, I tried other bed interactions, resetsim, nothing. I even completely rearranged their bedroom and made sure nothing was even remotely close to the bed. It was completely unusable, even though they'd slept in it before, and nothing had changed. Nothing worked except for buying a new one. Then they went to bed fine.

I'm not sure what would cause it, but it doesn't seem to have anything at all to do with the route or anything actually in the way, since a new bed placed in exactly the same position with the same items around it works just fine. And since when it happens the bed becomes unusable for any sim, it doesn't seem to be a problem with the sim itself either. I've assumed it's a problem with the bed, but have yet to pinpoint a direct cause.

It may, though I have absolutely no evidence to support it, be related to enabling moveobjects. Sometimes after doing so my sims will walk up the stairs, warp back down, and repeat indefinitely and I have to resetsim them to get them to stop. So moveobjects appears to have some effect on routes, even if you're not "moveobject-ing" anything that has to do with that particular route. It may affect objects, as well as sims.

Forum Resident
#7 Old 11th Oct 2010 at 6:54 PM
I think that's what awesome's fixall is doing when it's clearing phantom butts - I think the chairs (usually chairs rather than beds for me, though I have seen beds) think somebody is using them, even though no one is, and so our sims can't use them. Anyway, I've had it happen without moveobjects having been used (I almost never use that, since I don't decorate).
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 13th Oct 2010 at 4:29 PM
One problem I've found with single beds is they somehow get corrupted if you put them along a wall and there's another bed on the other side of the wall. All of a sudden for seemingly no reason the sim will got sleep eleswhere.

Maybe the same thing happens when double beds are head to head even with a wall between them.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 14th Oct 2010 at 12:06 AM
Quote: Originally posted by BL00DIEDHELL
When this has happened to me, I just sell the bed and buy a new one. Hey presto, Sim finally stops being an idiot and goes to sleep

Yep. Hate it when it happens to the chessboard chairs. That's where it hits me most often. Not clearing locks on items. It's bad during chess because sometimes you can play a game and win but cpu doesn't recognize that you won until after you've won and it shows as win on skill but doesn't show as win on reward or give you the soandso won a ranked match.
Worse is if you start a game and know you wont' win so you stop it and then rechallenge them. They get stuck in a nested challenge loop. So after they lose instead of getting up and waiting to decide what to do they go to other side of the table and play like another challenge is in queue.
Can happen with telescope. Find a start don't get reward for finding start but shows up in logic skill as found one.
Algorythms aren't robust with EA. Never have been never will be.

You can keep it to a minimum by pausing the game every few minutes and allowing cpu to clear running threads.
Field Researcher
#10 Old 14th Oct 2010 at 5:03 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Nobody
You can keep it to a minimum by pausing the game every few minutes and allowing cpu to clear running threads.

I pause my game like crazy, so maybe that's why these kinds of issues have only happened to me once or twice. I don't like my sims deciding to go do something else while I am in the process of telling them to do something, but I also don't like them standing around wasting time with little to no free will, so I just pause and build up their queues until I'm ready for them to move again. I do it a ton.

Locked thread | Locked by: plasticbox Reason: Please do not resurrect