Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th May 2010 at 8:37 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions
The Sims 3 Crashes Almost Everytime I save
3/4 Times I save my Sims game it crashes! I've googled it and many other people have this issue. There's no error, no nothing. I hit save, a minute passes and it exits out of the game. No warning, no errors, nothing.

I have all the expansions, and all the updates, and I'm going terribly mad right now because I just can't take it. I've been playing all day and have had the game crash over 10 times when I save, I've been saving every 5 minutes now, because I was saving once a half hour, but even those saves crash.

Does ANYONE know a workaround? I'm going crazy, I just moved my family to a new house and FIVE TIMES I've had to redo the actions of the first day, now I'm going on the SIXTH TIME. I am SO frustrated, EA GAMES will not help me, please help!

It is not custom content, btw, I already tried removing it, and it ONLY crashes when saving.

/edit Do you need my system specs? Here they are:

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 5/14/2010, 00:46:04
Machine name: LUNA
Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_gdr.100226-1909)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model: GA-MA790X-UD4P
BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 945 Processor (4 CPUs), ~3.0GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 4094MB RAM
Page File: 1405MB used, 6781MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7600.16385 32bit Unicode

and

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series
(it's a 5750)
Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
Chip type: ATI display adapter (0x68BE)
DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_68BE&SUBSYS_29801682&REV_00
Display Memory: 2797 MB
Dedicated Memory: 1014 MB
Shared Memory: 1783 MB

"If all else perished, and he remained, I should still continue to be; and if all else remained, and he were annihilated, the universe would turn to a mighty stranger: I should not seem a part of it."
- Emily Bronte, Wuthering Heights.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 14th May 2010 at 8:52 AM
From what I can tell, it's not your computer. At least, to me it's not.

Other than that, I have no idea....
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 14th May 2010 at 8:50 AM
Thanks, yeah I haven't a clue... I updated all my mods... I haven't played the game since March, and even then only for a day; I played it a lot around 6-7 months ago and I don't remember there being any crashes when I saved. So SOMETHINGS wrong I'm just not sure what... I deleted a few cache files, it helped at first, was saving fine, but then 20 minutes later is started crashing on saves again. GR~!

edit/ it is also running in Windows XP Service Pack 3 compatibility mode, and as an admin.

"If all else perished, and he remained, I should still continue to be; and if all else remained, and he were annihilated, the universe would turn to a mighty stranger: I should not seem a part of it."
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#4 Old 14th May 2010 at 8:59 AM
Try removing -all- your CC temporarily and then make new user files - rename My Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\ to "The Sims 3 Backup" and then run the game and try playing a while on a new game and then saving a few times.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 14th May 2010 at 9:00 AM Last edited by PettyLittleDarling : 14th May 2010 at 9:11 AM.
Okay I'll try the Sims 3 backup thing, I'll be back in 10-15 mins to tell you how it goes ! Thanks HP.

/edit One thing I'd like to note, I've been playing this game since early yest morning... and haven't installed any new content except for objects (recolors.. etc.) and a house... well when I installed the new house, and before moving to it I used the maxmotives cheat that comes with awesome mod I believe, that's when it FIRST started crashing, right after maxmotives... Not sure how that would cause problems. Right now my new game is running fine, I've saved twice, I'm trying to recreate the situation, should I add the mods back in and try?

/edit 2 Oops, I also realized that before when I removed my mods (before this thread) I forgot to remove them from both places, I had them copied both in my programs the sims 3 and the sims 3 world adventures.. I only removed them from the sims 3.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 14th May 2010 at 4:13 PM
Okay, well I removed the CC and played on a new game for about 15 minutes, but only saved four times, no crash.
Put my sims back in/mods back in, and removed awesomemod, game ran fine for one hour, but then I saved for the third time and it crashed again.

I'm curious can files other than hacks make your game randomly crash when saving?
I've got the following mods (I just installed twallans mod, because I figured awesome mod was the problem, nooooope.)
Anyways Twallans Mod, Genetic Logic mod by cowboyghostie, Child/toddler can use dive well mod, and then I've got these individual packaged mods for aligning jaw, etc., which I downloaded somewhere 3 weeks ago (but they were running just fine), They are Bella3lek4's mods, and I had the 4x4 installed by awesome mod but I uninstalled those (going to prob redo them since that wasn't the problem)

I also have the outside lighting hack by ADA5

Site Helper
#7 Old 14th May 2010 at 4:29 PM
You only need your CC in one place. As long as the resource.cfg is in the same spot as the Mods folder and the modified dll is in the right place you don't need to duplicate your CC.

But any bad CC can harm your game. It wasn't hacks that was causing blue lots. Hacks are just the most likely culprit.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 14th May 2010 at 4:38 PM Last edited by PettyLittleDarling : 14th May 2010 at 11:19 PM.
Ack, so now I have to weed it out... the problem is my game doesn't crash EVERY TIME I save, just many times, it can take anywhere from 5 minutes to an hour for it to start crashing, so it's really hard to test each individual mod. Plus a lot of people on EA Sims 3 Forums without mods were having the same problem as me... bah but we haven't found anything in common.

/edit the game has crashed 11 times out of 15 saves, so about 73% of the time.

/edit two The Sims Created a File when it last crashed for me in the users/sims 3 folder... its called xcpt -name of computer - and then the date/// inside of it it says dasmx86DLL.dll not found.

I uploaded the txt file to my website here: http://pettylittledarling.com/xcptluna.txt

/edit three, have been playing the game for an hour 1/2 without any crashes, I didn't change anything, so this leads me to believe the crashes are random; still not sure how to fix that .dll error if it pops up again? I thought EA Games fixed that issue in a patch, or am I wrong? Anyways, I give up. The game started crashing after a few hours of playing now DURING the game, instead of during saves. It's completely random.

In the Arena
retired moderator
#9 Old 15th May 2010 at 5:09 AM
Have you tried either the CFF trick or the DEP one that has been suggested for crashes?

And what is "High Detail Lot" set to in options?
shiny!
retired moderator
#10 Old 15th May 2010 at 2:51 PM
I don't know about directly related to saving, but that error can sometimes be solved by this: http://modthesims.info/showpost.php...354&postcount=1

It'd be worth a shot since it's quicker than trying to weed through custom content.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 16th May 2010 at 5:17 PM Last edited by werismyki : 16th May 2010 at 11:51 PM. Reason: Merged posts: 3167847, 3168114
Thank you both for the quick responses !

I am trying the CFF thing now, I'll have to play for a few hours to see if it works, so I'll update within 24 hours of this post.
My high detail lot setting is set to 4

Ella, I couldn't find the DEP one you mentioned, is there a link to it?

/edit so far been playing the game for 2 hours and no crash, though it my just be pushing my buttons and making me hopeful, definitely will update soon...

Sorry for double post, just to bump it to the top... game is still crashing.. though not as much.

In the Arena
retired moderator
#12 Old 17th May 2010 at 6:30 PM
It's basically tweaking the exe too, I think. Or something of the sort. I have never used this workaround, so I cannot vouch for its effectiveness or what undesirable side-effects it may potentially cause.
Long term solution has to come from EA, but in the short term, I guess it would serve it's purpose in a crunch.

Found the link in my handy FAQ notes [ZippyZX3's DEP solution]Solved my crashing to my desktop.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 17th May 2010 at 9:12 PM
Thank you, if this doesn't work, I won't worry about it. I might just have to uninstall the game for a bit, hopefully it's not my save files that are the problem!

There's probably no sure fire workaround these issues, unfortunately; I have one more question though, just like in Sims 2 where the game would crash if you had a "bad" lot, does the same thing happen in sim 3? I mean I have a downloaded house but it has no CC, it's actually the one thing I haven't tried to delete since my sims live in it, and I'm absolutely in love with it. But it could be the issue (though I doubt it, the .dll error just seems to be a random bug)

In the Arena
retired moderator
#14 Old 18th May 2010 at 7:02 PM
All indicators point to the same similarities to TS2 with bad lots, bad Sims with glitch CAS-content, etc.

The only way to test is to play a new vanilla game and see if the crashes occur.

The dasmwhatever.dll error is just EA's bad practices in leaving pieces of code behind that should not be there. It's expecting to launch a debugger program when the game crash that we, of course, don't have.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#15 Old 18th May 2010 at 7:54 PM
The DEP solution seems to have worked, it hasn't crashed for about a day now!

Thank you !

Locked thread | Locked by: werismyki Reason: Resolved