Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
The other one
#26 Old 7th May 2011 at 8:54 AM
I like the ideas about machinima or interior design best. Both are similar to my idea which would be to use it in either art or photography lessons. Obviously you couldn't use it to teach them how to use a real camera etc but you can use it to teach them about:
- lighting
- colour
- composition
- framing
- developing themes/conveying an idea or emotion through your image (sorry, I'm sure there's a phrase that describes this better but I can't think of it right now, it's too late, lol)

if you have a look at the contest threads you might get a good idea of what I'm on about. A lot of them require contestants to submit entries of either sims or lots and ask that you "set the scene" and/or grade your picture taking technique based on the above criteria (and maybe some others I haven't thought of). I've also seen contests where people have been asked to produce advertisements for real life products or magazine covers using the sims so you could even touch on media/advertising perhaps? The downside being that for that you would really need to use some kind of image editing software to add all the extras.

Guys, rules are good! Rules help control the fun. ~ Monica E. Geller
Advertisement
Test Subject
Original Poster
#27 Old 7th May 2011 at 3:32 PM
Wow, this thread really took off - while I was sure it had died and gone to page four! Awesome that you guys really have put your thoughts into this little project of mine, thank you!

tomomi1922 - I'm not actually going to do this practically, I definitely agree with you that that could cause a whole lot of trouble and lots of pre-work for teachers/IT. This is just for a paper, and as far as I can understand, we don't really have to think about all of that practical stuff - they want us to start seeing video games' potential use for education (since that is what the class is about). So I'm basically going to be in a "fantasy world" where kids don't want to see sims slap each other or take showers. :P

On to all of your interesting ideas. I agree that TS3 is a bit too shallow in alot of respects. That's why I decided on the idea I wrote about earlier, that the game would mainly be used to build a "set" and characters for a movie. I told my teacher about my idea and he said it sounded interesting, so I'm gonna stick to it. I don't really have alot of time either, so I really felt like I just needed to pick something. I also had ideas about using the period styled clothing and such downloads that is out there in the community, for some kind of use in a history class. I think there is potential, there are certainly more different parts that you could draw on than from example the Dragon Age series which I considered at first to use.

Okay, I'm gonna stop rambling now and get back to my studying - but again thank you to everyone for your ideas and interesting discussions! It's been a blast reading through it all just now.
Scholar
#28 Old 16th May 2011 at 8:01 PM
Or maybe you can teach them architectural lesson (or whatever it is). In the Sims, it's the beginner version... ^_^

Hey there! :)
Field Researcher
#29 Old 16th May 2011 at 8:48 PM
P.S.H.E? You know, like ambitions, feelings, ECT.

You can find video previews of ALL my uploads on my YouTube Channel.
Keep updated, and follow me on Twitter! You´ll get the most recent news and goss when I´m making custom content!
---- Have Fun With My Uploads! ----
Page 2 of 2