Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
#5526 Old 31st May 2016 at 6:45 AM

The lock is right above the spiky hair, in the top right corner. When it's unlocked it means that you can change the hair for one outfit without changing hair for the other outfits.

Stylist mode comes with Ambitions and lets you change hair and clothing at the same time. If you have NRaas MasterController you can also go into stylist mode, but without Ambitions it's just a plain blue background.
Advertisement
#5527 Old 31st May 2016 at 7:13 AM
I don't have Ambitions. How do I do this once I got the character up and running in a game already?
Scholar
#5528 Old 31st May 2016 at 7:44 AM
Quote: Originally posted by BlackjackGabbiani
I don't have Ambitions. How do I do this once I got the character up and running in a game already?

Go to a Mirror and choose Change Appearance.
Or download Nraas Master Controller, click on the Sim, choose Master Controller -> Advanced -> Edit In CaS.
#5529 Old 31st May 2016 at 9:34 AM
Hm. I had to tell her to change her outfit, then Change Appearance for every single one, because I couldn't change both at once. But I got it all done! Thank you all!
Scholar
#5530 Old 2nd Jun 2016 at 10:37 AM
What exactly does the Level Skip Marker do? According to this suggestion, it can lower the price of a house. I did it for one of my houses and, unfurnished, it cost a little over 4.000$ but knocked only about 10.000 off of the furnished part. (Still about 25.000) But aside from that... what does it do? I did notice that, after placing it, I was not allowed to use terrain paint because the 'house association does not allow this'.
Scholar
#5531 Old 2nd Jun 2016 at 11:30 AM
The skip level marker does a few things. Its main function is to tell Sims that there's no level there, so they won't try to go there. I never heard about the cost thing. What you've described with the housing association is the game deciding that you've made an apartment house. I am not sure whether or not skip level is sufficient to do that.
Mad Poster
#5532 Old 2nd Jun 2016 at 11:40 AM
The skip level marker also causes the camera to skip that level of the building when going up and down floors in the camera controls.
So if you have a house with three levels and place a skip marker on the second level, the camera will skip it when you click to go up a floor from the first floor and will be taken straight to the third one.
I think its original intention was for tall apartment buildings where the only actual rooms are on the top floor so that you don't have to click through a bunch of empty levels to get there.

My deviantART, MTS Yearbook Origin ID = Alistu
Instructor
#5533 Old 3rd Jun 2016 at 4:45 AM
Default Wall Top Edge Colour
Is it possible to colour the top edge of walls? The top edges are usually grey, but in the attached screenshot from Fake Houses Real Awesome, the edges are brown. I know the edge of floor tiles is colourable, but CASt doesn't highlight wall edges. How is this done?
Screenshots
Alchemist
#5534 Old 3rd Jun 2016 at 11:37 AM
In Edit Town, whenever I add a level skip marker or hidden room marker, exiting the lot to map view will cause the game to load indefinitely and I have to force quit the game. Does anybody have this issue? I don't think the buydebug is the cause because I've placed proprietor's placement several times already.

Just call me Nikel
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#5535 Old 3rd Jun 2016 at 1:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Butterbot
Is it possible to colour the top edge of walls? The top edges are usually grey, but in the attached screenshot from Fake Houses Real Awesome, the edges are brown. I know the edge of floor tiles is colourable, but CASt doesn't highlight wall edges. How is this done?
I think that this is just an effect of the world lighting; walls have a different colour depending on the overall colour spectrum of the light in each world. I noticed this when I changed the default light in Sunset Valley with a lighting mod and the wall edges went from bluish to something closer to brown.
Site Helper
#5536 Old 3rd Jun 2016 at 4:29 PM Last edited by Ghost sdoj : 4th Jun 2016 at 3:49 PM. Reason: solved
Adric (who has discovered that the insurance company will believe that his entire house burned down when it was actually all underground, and likes to commit insurance fraud) has purchased every unowned lot in town. He rolled a wish to purchase an expensive hot tub. Fine. he's got the money. I promised it, went to the catalog, and bought the most expensive one they had.

Problem: It didn't cost enough to fill his wish!

So my stupid question: (or, rather, two stupid questions)
1. How do I increase the price of a Hot tub if I only want the price increased once? (Preferably without downloading one, letting him buy it, then replacing it with a real one and removing the download.)
2. If he gets the hot tub he wants, is this going to trigger a want for an even more expensive one, or will he figure out that he's got the top of the line now?

Yes, I know I can just right click the wish to remove it. But I promised. I would feel guilty.

Edit: I (by accident) discovered the solution to my hot tub problem. There is an even more expensive one in BuyDebug. Apparently he was wishing for that one. If he rolls any more hot tub wants, they can go the way of the "Cast a Pestilence curse or haunting curse on the person I want to be best friends with" ones.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Top Secret Researcher
#5537 Old 4th Jun 2016 at 4:44 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Don Babilon
I think that this is just an effect of the world lighting; walls have a different colour depending on the overall colour spectrum of the light in each world. I noticed this when I changed the default light in Sunset Valley with a lighting mod and the wall edges went from bluish to something closer to brown.

Yes, I agree with Don (Hi Don). Lighting and ceiling tiles can change the way the tops of walls look. I have seen builders use CFE or even shelves to disguise wall edges. I have asked this question myself- can you CASt wall edges?- and some very experienced builders have all said NO.
Instructor
#5538 Old 4th Jun 2016 at 7:40 AM
@Don Babilon
@attuned

Bummer. I thought it looked really nice for the edges to match the rest of the house. Thanks for elucidating this for me!

Quote: Originally posted by attuned
I have seen builders use CFE or even shelves to disguise wall edges.

Interesting; how are the shelves used for that?
Site Helper
#5539 Old 4th Jun 2016 at 3:41 PM
I haven't done it, so I don't know if this is the method, but I do know that it's possible to move a shelf up to the top of a wall. And, with move objects and alt, you can slide it into the wall a bit.

My complete guess would be to CAST your shelf, then move it up and in a bit. (And then watch out for gnomes appearing inside the wall because they were landing on the shelf. Not that it harms the gnomes or the game at all, but it does add another spot to look when you can't easily find one. And it can be disturbing to see a red dot poking out of your wall.)

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Top Secret Researcher
#5540 Old 5th Jun 2016 at 1:17 AM
Ghost, you are on fire- seemingly everywhere, helping dozens of simmers. Thanks! And you are funny, too!

I think there is a way to tune the price of an item, but do you really want to go to that much trouble for an insurance fraud committing slum lord (I'm assuming that's why he is buying every available lot in town)? Maybe teach him a bit about wanting something you cannot have, by keeping the wish promised but unfulfilled. I like to give my rascal sims some tough love, so they mend their evil ways.
#5541 Old 5th Jun 2016 at 1:50 AM
Two sims have the want to make a charming introduction. Yet neither of them, despite being skilled in charisma, have had that option yet. They have flirty, they have funny...no charming. Where the heck is it? They both have had it for a LONG time now and have gained several levels in that time.
Scholar
#5542 Old 5th Jun 2016 at 2:41 AM
Quote: Originally posted by attuned
Ghost, you are on fire- seemingly everywhere, helping dozens of simmers.
Yeah no kidding!

As for changing an object's price, not sure about in game but there are ways to do it outside of the game. The easiest being with S3OC. With S3OC you simply clone the object and edit the price. This way you still have the original object at the original price, while also having the cloned version with the different price. I just tried it with the cheapest bath tub in the game, and it really couldn't be easier to do.

Two sims have the want to make a charming introduction. Yet neither of them, despite being skilled in charisma, have had that option yet. They have flirty, they have funny...no charming. Where the heck is it? They both have had it for a LONG time now and have gained several levels in that time.
Are the sims you're trying it on already listed in your relationship panel? I've noticed that you can't use the charming introduction on anyone listed there already. You can still use some of the other greets on sims listed in the relationship panel, but the charming introduction can't be used. The charming introduction only seems to work on sims you've never met at all, basically the ones that aren't in your relationship panel already.
Site Helper
#5543 Old 5th Jun 2016 at 4:55 AM
Actually, my sim was buying all the properties in town to keep the Baron (Gunther Goth) from buying them. Story Progression had Xander Clavell move into a lot that Gunther had just bought. Then it had Xander become one of the sims that got a "loan" from Gunther and kept having to pay outrageous sums as interest. Then Adric encountered Xander at the park and Xander mooched some food from him. Obviously, we can't let things like that keep happening, although he had befriended Gunther before that happened so it wouldn't be appropriate to just turn him into a toad for a while. (And I suppose being a toad doesn't prevent you from buying property, anyway. it certainly didn't prevent Jared Frio and V J Alvi from hospitalizing Cycl0n3 Sw0rd several times. )

( And several of those lots have veggie gardens and/or a money tree now. )

He does leave potions lying around that will turn you into things if you drink them, but anybody who drinks a glowing red potion from a bottle labelled "Bottled Vampire's Bite" cannot be too surprised at what happens. And Dori Hart is now responsible for more fairies than he is. He turned two people into fairies when they had a good personality for it. Dori has turned every toddler in town. Yes, he's turning the population of Sunset Valley into magical beings. And leaving plates of Ambrosia out where random ghosts can find them. And restoring youth to Elders, curing every zombie he encounters and training all the nerds in self-defense. (Not that it seems to help much...) He does keep rolling wants to cast a haunting curse or a pestilence curse on someone, but it's always someone he also wants to become best friends with. So he gets the "Best Friends" wish.

Alchemist
#5544 Old 5th Jun 2016 at 10:25 AM

Charming introduction can only be done to a stranger.

Just call me Nikel
Scholar
#5545 Old 5th Jun 2016 at 11:49 AM
What is the smallest house that can be built in Sims 3? I saw some Tiny House building for Sims 4 and it managed a minuscule studio home up to 3x3 as the smallest. Now, that's Sims 4, where you can apparently manipulate a few things that I think are not available in Sims 3. (At the very least, I know Sims 3 does not have a wallmounted, tiny bookcase) But how would one go about to do it in Sims 3?

I've tried it and made a 4x4 single home for my vampire that was a studio, with a bathroom and room for a computer desk (thank you, Generations Bunk beds - though I later realized using a coffin bed would have been much better for her) but it wasn't a very interesting LOOKING house. Just... a box.
Alchemist
#5546 Old 5th Jun 2016 at 1:15 PM
Quote:
What is the smallest house that can be built in Sims 3?

10x10 lots are a thing! Of course, you'll have to resort to expanding vertically, but if you're creative you can get some pretty good results. It mostly involves using spiral staircases or ladders, cutting down on the number of things (e.g. one sink in the kitchen or bathroom, instead of both rooms) and using combinations of objects (bunk beds, shower+bath combo).

Some examples: http://www.modthesims.info/browse.p...gs=2&f=148&gs=2

Tumblr - more downloads! ◾ CC reuploads / creator backupsTS3 CAS Conversion Catalog - for basegame, EP, SP, and Store clothing!
Site Helper
#5547 Old 5th Jun 2016 at 1:50 PM
If you're building a house on a 10x10 lot, think carefully before adding a foundation. You can use the old trick of making a foundation basement, and, if you're careful and lucky, you can add basement tool basements under it. But it can be a pain. You can build an interesting house on top of the ground, and have everything else in basements and sub-basements.

e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#5548 Old 5th Jun 2016 at 3:11 PM

@Butterbot
The wall edge colour can be changed through a custom ini file:
S3_1F886EAD_00000000_3EC0CF0CC4A6540F%%+_INI.ini

The contents of that ini file are such (these are the parameters from Bridgeport.world):
Code:
[WorldSpecificParams]
LotLODHeightThresh = 400;
GameEntryFlyThrough = 1;

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
;;
[LotRenderSettings]
; Color of wall tops (r,g,b) each in [0,1] range
WallTopColor=0.08 0.07 0.07

You could modify a copy of this file to your liking and import it to the world that you are using- that would give you a custom colour. More details in this thread:
http://modthesims.info/showthread.p...012#post3967012
Instructor
#5549 Old 5th Jun 2016 at 3:54 PM
@simsample

Awesome! I'll read that thread and try this out. Thanks a lot!
#5550 Old 6th Jun 2016 at 12:45 AM Last edited by BlackjackGabbiani : 6th Jun 2016 at 12:56 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by nikel23
Charming introduction can only be done to a stranger.

Yeah. I've introduced strangers multiple times. It's shown up ONCE and only on one character. Just spontaneously too. She hadn't gained any levels in charisma lately.

Also, if I'm told to have a party and invite two people from work, can that be any type of party? And if only one person from work is named, can the other one be any random coworker?
Page 222 of 385