Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Jan 2015 at 7:56 PM Last edited by Florentzina : 9th Jan 2015 at 8:57 PM.
Default Other than restuarants & bakery stores, what kind of COOKING related businesses can you have?
In my current hood, where all sims are doing businesses rather than careers and all male offsprings following their father footsteps, Ive two large families (6 couples) who are focusing on cuisine - beverages, restaurants, food etcs. All of these couples had mostly sons - 12 to be exacts (where many are first cousins), so for the next comming generation, I'll have twelve families (out of 70 ) focusing on anything related cuisine. They are neither poor nor rich but somewhere in between and most have fortune or popularity as primary aspiration. The game would be so boring if everyone is having the same kind of businesses (and yes, my simmies has to following their family traditions )

So OFB users - if you looking for variety, what kind of businesses would you have? Non-futuristic/fantasy please.
Restuarants, Bar Longues, Food/Bakery stores....are there anything else?
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 9th Jan 2015 at 8:06 PM
Irish pubs! I like those, so cosy. Cafés in different styles like 50's, 70's, colourful, no-colour-whatsoever. I personally like combined library/bakery businesses. There's tons of options for themes, like a restaurant that only sells food made from fresh produce, so it could look rustic and have decorative shelves with harvested produce, freshly-caught fish and the like. An inn perhaps? I realise that as a business, you could only really focus on the dining room part of it, but it could create a cool illusion (I'm gonna do that myself, actually). Uhm... I'm all out. I'll go back to playing Master of Olympus.
Forum Resident
#3 Old 9th Jan 2015 at 8:31 PM
Beauty salons, florists, car dealers, toy stores (selling craft-able toys and robots), clothing stores, pottery stores, and of course the oldest profession (a brothel). I do it by tribes sometimes as well. Like my gypsies sell crystal balls, masks, and statues. Native Americans sell quilts, Persians sell rugs, etc.
Scholar
Original Poster
#4 Old 9th Jan 2015 at 8:34 PM
Venus. I was asking about businesses restricted to CUISINE. o.O I dont think anyone want to eat or drink makeup...
Forum Resident
#5 Old 9th Jan 2015 at 8:38 PM
Oh, sorry. I thought you were asking for ideas other than cuisine. I should read better...
Scholar
Original Poster
#6 Old 9th Jan 2015 at 8:40 PM
Well, perhaps I should Ive wrote "Cooking" related businesses instead.
Instructor
#8 Old 9th Jan 2015 at 8:52 PM
I'm not sure if it's related to cuisine in your hood, but have you thought of agricultural businesses? Like the making and/or selling of ingredients. I was thinking farmer's market, fish market, fisherman, farmer, things like that.

Chinese restaurant. Delivery service included (hey, now you know where the Chinese food you can order by phone comes from). Same for pizza. I think both the pizza and the Chinese food were extracted and made buyabel by someone here on MTS...

Bar, coffee shop, coffee cart in the park (your sim could just work at the coffee cart each day 'owning' it, or 'own' the park and make money with both the cart and the a bandatron in the park). Bar & grill - grill your own meat kind of place.

Maybe a shop that sells cooking equipment - things like pots & pans, salt and pepper shakers, knifes, cookie jars, stuff like that.

Maybe a cooking school? There's lecture podia that can be used to teach other sims cooking skills. There could be a kitchen where sims can cook to gain skills and your sim makes money by bandatron. Also, they'd have to know fire safety - because you know, students tend to set things on fire.
Scholar
Original Poster
#9 Old 9th Jan 2015 at 8:56 PM
Platinium. I wasnt asking about lawyers or engineer and know that kind of busieness would be tricky. But I was asking about businesses related to COOKING. I think you can distinguish a bakery shop with a luxury restuarant.
Btw: Ive all expansion packs.

Seems like I need to edit the question.... I was only wanted discuss business related cooking (bars, beverages, restuarants, caffees etc) because thats a major thing in my own hood. Its inspired by the 19-20th centuary in a suburb area where everyone is living off the land. The economy is not stable enough yet and if there were lawyers, I doubt they would live middle of no-where. Well some might, but I cant picture them as that. In my own hood, I will careers like that LATER as regulare jobs. But right now the hood is getting their income from being farmers, crafters, pet stores, longues, restuarants, clothing store, clubs etc things that were introduced in Freetime, Season and OBF.

Not that the actual hood has anything to do with this thread. This thread is only about community lots that Im trying to figure out what kind to add, especially when many families are "obsessed" with same kinds. I doubt a 200-300-something population need 12 foodstores and similare resturants.
Forum Resident
#10 Old 9th Jan 2015 at 9:01 PM
Looking at Sims 2 Studio stuff (themed shops), they have pizzerias, candy stores, wine stores and a butcher. http://simscave.mustbedestroyed.org....php?board=41.0
Instructor
#11 Old 9th Jan 2015 at 9:02 PM
Silly question, but have you thought about making some of the sims of this particular family working for other sims in their family? Like, not everyone needs to own their own business, but one can be the manager of a restaurant and (some of his) his younger siblings can work in that restaurant as waiters, cooks, etc.? That would bring down the amount of businesses that one family would establish.
Scholar
Original Poster
#12 Old 9th Jan 2015 at 9:03 PM
Samantha.
It is. Sims eat fish, dont they?

In my hood that would be overlapping with the families who focusing on nature-related lifestyles - farmers, fishersims etc. Thax suggested about pubs gave me also an idea. Ive a cuisine family where the mother plays piano, so one sim could maybe combine their business with someone good at pianos. like an venue. :P
Inventor
#13 Old 9th Jan 2015 at 9:12 PM
I would choose this option written by samantha_kathy: Maybe a cooking school? There's lecture podia that can be used to teach other sims cooking skills. There could be a kitchen where sims can cook to gain skills and your sim makes money by bandatron.

I'm seriously considering trying this out.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#15 Old 9th Jan 2015 at 9:43 PM
For cooking my hood has or will have (some are empty waiting for the hood to grow) a sea food restaurant, a pizza shop, an ice-cream shop, bakery and coffee shop.

The pizza shop uses buyable pizza, the icecream shop uses PC sims ice cream machine and the coffee shop(open) uses the Exnems cake cart.

Sims will take a slice and sit and eat.

My restaurant owner also writes restaurant reviews on the computer, that itself could be a job as it pays well, 2-3,000 a time.

Cooking contests could be another way of making money.

In my old integrated hood I was looking at doing a soup kitchen for the poor. Using the uni cooktop and the patch for it from simlogical a cafeteria cook will work for free. That one would work by buying a ticket and also having a few fun items around.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Forum Resident
#16 Old 9th Jan 2015 at 11:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
For cooking my hood has or will have (some are empty waiting for the hood to grow) a sea food restaurant, a pizza shop, an ice-cream shop, bakery and coffee shop.

The pizza shop uses buyable pizza, the icecream shop uses PC sims ice cream machine and the coffee shop(open) uses the Exnems cake cart.

Sims will take a slice and sit and eat.

My restaurant owner also writes restaurant reviews on the computer, that itself could be a job as it pays well, 2-3,000 a time.

Cooking contests could be another way of making money.

In my old integrated hood I was looking at doing a soup kitchen for the poor. Using the uni cooktop and the patch for it from simlogical a cafeteria cook will work for free. That one would work by buying a ticket and also having a few fun items around.

Where can I find that ice cream machine, and does it make ice cream that sims can eat? I googled it and all I can find is the sims 3 store ice cream machine. Also, where can I find the buyable pizza/chinese food? That sounds like a good business idea for my BACC and I could use that as an excuse to unlock those delivery services earlier.

~Someday my prince will come... And he better not bring all his hood's character files with him.~
@)->----- Place this ASCII flower in your sig as a thank you to all of our amazing moderators at MTS!
TS3 vs. Your CPU: The Solution
Shameless plug for my fledgeling Simblr here
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#17 Old 9th Jan 2015 at 11:07 PM
PC sims are on the Graveyard and yes sims can eat the ice-cream. They made the graveyard horrible to navigate recently or I would look the page up for you, but page through until you find PCSims.

I think the pizza is by exnem, but I'm not sure. He is on the Booty.

There is also this one http://modthesims.info/d/145026 but the pizza is just base game pizza.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#18 Old 9th Jan 2015 at 11:33 PM Last edited by gazania : 10th Jan 2015 at 12:46 AM.
I always have a cooking school in my uni hood (though that's not a business).

If you don't mind expanding a bit, you can sell cooking-related items as well as food on a lot.. That's what i have with my bakery. Those are great sellers.

There is edible candy, so you can have a candy store as well. Your selection might not be the best, though. But it WILL be candy.

EDITED because I didn't see the candies I have on my home lots in my community lot inventory. Yes, I know there is a way to sometimes fudge that via Sim PE. But I know I tried with at least one of the objects I had, and it never "took". However, there are some fantastic suggestions in the thread below!

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Theorist
#19 Old 10th Jan 2015 at 12:03 AM
Chocolate bunnies and plumbbobs: http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=155820

"Candy Crafting Station" (allows you to make sellable boxes of chocolate, with special side effects to the candy) by Paladin, from SimsWardrobe (Home > Sims 2 Objects > Other Objects > left-most column, fourth item down)

And different types of restaurants (you can limit the food sold at the podium in an owned business). Sure, you don't need ten restaurants the same in one town. But a burger joint, a pizza parlor, a taco place, a seafood restaurant, an Italian restaurant, a fusion place, and a general all-purpose restaurant? Much more interesting. And if you download custom foods (like Indian, or Greek, or vegan) then you can have even more options. (Be careful about just yanking custom foods from your Downloads, though, because it can break things sometimes.)

esmeiolanthe's Live Journal and Tumblr
Most recent story update: Fuchs That! on 2/21/15
Mad Poster
#20 Old 10th Jan 2015 at 12:19 AM Last edited by gazania : 10th Jan 2015 at 12:52 AM.
Doesn't the game have a candy-maker? Will the Sims Wardrobe or the MTS one conflict with that? (I don't know .... I think I've visited the hobby lot five times so far, and I've never tried the SW or the MTS items.)

I don't see anyone mentioning that in the MTS comments, so that's good.

Is there a list of all food that comes with the game? I don't see it in the Sims Wiki, and while testing the Carrigon cheese and wine (the latter isn't perfect, but it may do for my cafe), I don't SEE anything missing, but I want to make sure before I commit to this food.

Theorist
#21 Old 10th Jan 2015 at 12:49 AM
The game does have a candy maker that the other two are cloned from, but I haven't noticed any conflicts in my game. They do make custom foods, so there's theoretically the risk of removing a custom food item if you're tired of it, and I've never had all three running on the same lot (yet -- I just built a candy factory, though), but used individually I didn't find any borkage over the course of about a year. YMMV, of course.

esmeiolanthe's Live Journal and Tumblr
Most recent story update: Fuchs That! on 2/21/15
Mad Poster
#22 Old 10th Jan 2015 at 12:53 AM
Yeah, a machine like one of the candy makers would require some sort of game commitment, I would guess. Thanks for the info!

I think I found at least a partial list on ... of all places ... The Sims Resource. Time to write it all down and check it before committing to the wine, cheese or candy maker.

(http://www.thesimsresource.com/game...w-post/post/86/)

Actually, I think that's all the food. Looks like I'll have to do a lot of testing to make sure everything is still on the menu, now that I added the wine and cheese, with the candy coming up.

Theorist
#23 Old 10th Jan 2015 at 1:04 AM
I used Bienchen's Community Lot Revolution to create a few theme specific eateries (soup diner, sweets shop using the cake stand, a seafood shack).

Someone mentioned ice cream...I have a shop for that as well. I use Exnem's ice cream machine (sundae food maker). Your Sims can stock it the same way buffet tables are stocked.

Outside of that, I use a ton of custom foods. This has allowed me to create a few Sim owned businesses that specialize in specific types of cuisine (Chinese, Japanese, Italian, Mediterranean).

“Seize the time... Live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.” ― Jean-Luc Picard
Scholar
#24 Old 10th Jan 2015 at 1:06 AM
haunted house, art gallery, arcade, cafe/bookstore. I've also been doing yard sales, farmer's markets and thrift stores recently.

Check out my simblr https://www.tumblr.com/blog/tbssimblr

Click the link, you know you want to. ;)
Scholar
#25 Old 10th Jan 2015 at 1:25 AM
I remember some players writing that they run apothecarys that sells Grandma´s comfort soup. It´s cusine related, sort of, and anyways a great idea.
Page 1 of 3