Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th May 2020 at 9:36 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default windows 7 will be unusable?
I had a window7 built for me, with upgrades, AFTER 10 came out. I had read so many problems with running Sims2 on anything besides windows7. Yesterday i started getting a popup: This copy of windows is not genuine"; geek squad tecs say it's because windows7 is not supported (duh), say even with webroot security, it will get "infected", and worse, say windows will be shutting down servers to windows7..
"...which are needed for widows7 to go online"

Are these things true? And if so, what alternative do I have?

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 28th May 2020 at 9:58 PM
Yes, Windows 7 is now unsupported, which means that there will be no security updates to combat malware and your computer will be vulnerable to attacks. There are two options:

1. Get a new Windows 10-running computer that you use to go online and take your Windows 7 computer offline permanently, using it only to play Sims 2. There is no danger in having a Windows 7 computer, as long as it never goes online.

2. Play Sims 2 on Windows 10. You might want to try this before trying #1, just in case it works. My Sims 2 works fine on Windows 10, actually, after modifying graphics rules. If you insurmountable problems with this, go back to #1. You should be able to maintain your old computer in good condition indefinitely if you get it repaired when necessary.
Instructor
#3 Old 28th May 2020 at 10:25 PM
Windows 7 isn't supported by Microsoft anymore, but it'll still be able to go online and some anti-virus and firewall companies have said they'll continue support. Of course, you don't need to go online to play The Sims 2.

I've been thinking about what I'll do myself, since I don't want Windows 10 and I don't want to stop playing The Sims 2. I'll probably either switch to Linux and run Windows 7 in a VM, or use Linux as my main OS and have a separate drive with Windows 7 on it that I only use to play the Sims.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 28th May 2020 at 10:28 PM
You can also dual-boot Windows 7 and linux, but again, I wouldn't want to let Windows 7 go online at all, so you'd have to figure out how to make sure that happens. If Windows 7 is on a separate computer, that's much easier.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#5 Old 28th May 2020 at 10:30 PM
Can I assume I can access my e-mail on windows7 without a problem? The only website I go to is MTS! ..except the ones linked to for downloading goodies - which can be a gamble ANYWAY.

As for security, I never relied on Windows anyway; I now have Webroot, so that shouldn't be a problem...right?

I researched Lenux also...sounds very wonky

Mad Poster
#6 Old 28th May 2020 at 10:57 PM
I just wouldn't go online with it at all, even to sites you trust. You don't know if those sites could be compromised at some point. You're going to have to upgrade to Windows 10 eventually, why not just do it now? You can keep your old Windows 7 computer for Sims if you need to.
Forum Resident
#7 Old 29th May 2020 at 12:12 AM
Quote: Originally posted by grammapat
I had a window7 built for me, with upgrades, AFTER 10 came out. I had read so many problems with running Sims2 on anything besides windows7. Yesterday i started getting a popup: This copy of windows is not genuine"; geek squad tecs say it's because windows7 is not supported (duh), say even with webroot security, it will get "infected", and worse, say windows will be shutting down servers to windows7..
"...which are needed for widows7 to go online"

Are these things true? And if so, what alternative do I have?

In my opinion, some of what your techs are saying is accurate and some is baloney.
Win 7 is indeed unsupported and there are no new security updates coming out for it. So every time you go online with it, there is a chance of it getting infected by something.

I still run Win7. I don't get that message about it not being genuine even though it is unsupported. I would be suspect of whomever built your machine may have not used a valid copy of Win7. Perhaps reusing a serial number for the software that had already been registered for another computer. Or perhaps using a bootlegged copy of the Win7 software.

And "windows shutting down servers to windows7"? That makes little sense to me. What servers? Doing what? Unless you are running some specific applications that rely on specific operating systems, that sounds false to me. Most web pages don't really care about your OS. They care more about your browser software. I've had to discontinue my use of Internet Explorer since more and more web sites I visited had either started warning me about not supporting it soon or simply wouldn't display their web pages telling me I was using an outdated browser. However, I was able to download and install Microsoft Edge (their replacement for Internet Explorer) on my Win 7 computer and access those sites again.
But yes like others, I know my online time with Win7 needs to change. I've been considering the same options (dual boot, Linux, separate Win 10, etc) but haven't decided what is best for me yet. Heck, I still have a working Vista machine with Sims2 on it that I use for testing!

Checking your email online with Win7 can be a problem. Your email host may get infected by something and pass it to you. You might be tempted to click on some link in someone's email to you and end up on a malware site. So no, even checking your email on line opens your Win7 computer to possible infections.

All of my Conversions, Creations and Stories may be found here:
HobbesED's Conversions and Creations

My most recently shared items (with pictures) may also be found here:
HobbesED's Dreamwidth

Instructor
#8 Old 30th May 2020 at 5:19 AM
I have dual boot on my comp so i use 10 for internet and 7 for sims. Most of the internet that i do i do on my ipad or iphone i only needed the internet to download for sims.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#9 Old 3rd Jun 2020 at 8:28 PM
Have bought a smart phone (have only had a little flip phone for years), and they threw in a tablet; I hope to use that as my "computer", to get to various sites. But it occurs to me I still download sims stuff...there probably is a way to download stuff onto the tablet, then install in in my game in my off-line windows7...but right now I'm getting brain freeze from all the changes in my life, ESPECIALLY the electronic ones (can't figure out my TV control either).