Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Apr 2005 at 4:24 AM Last edited by AccioJosh : 20th Apr 2005 at 10:41 PM. Reason: Updated pictures.
Default An American Dream
So I've been doing what I'm calling the 'American Dream' line of homes as I just see them every day and get inspired to try and make them. I did one that I posted on EA and it was a smash hit... but this one is even better! Or will be...

As you can see, it's a large home with plenty of good, warm feeling all around. Custom siding and 'garage' work abound... All it's missing is a diagonal roof. (GRRR to Maxis!!) I've petitioned for someone to make a 'diagonal roof object' type thing, and am hoping to get someone interested... otherwise I might have to try it myself (though I've never made an object before, so this could be interesting.)

Here are some more pictures...

Update: I've updated the pictures. As you can now see, the garage has been turned straight so as to complete the house. I still need to fix a few of the shadows on the images (as in the garage), and then I'll post it here. It'll probably be a few days before it's approved, but keep an eye out =o)

Update 14/4/05: Pictures attached with the finished version. I've removed the EP objects so that anyone will be able to download it, though I realized afterwards that I forgot to remove a set of concrete stairs, so I have to go back in and fix that, then I'll upload it to the Residential forum. As you can see from the updated pictures, the small porch off of the garage is now larger and a breezeway instead of a porch, and I also got rid of the wrapped stair off the kitchen because it was just too much of a hassle. Now there is just a regular stair there.

Eventually I'll be releasing a 'Furnished' version as well, for those of you who prefer them that way, however that one will require the EP.

Thanks again, everyone! =oD

Update: This home is now available for download in this thread. =o)
Screenshots
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 11th Apr 2005 at 6:24 AM
:o beautiful!!! I looove your houses!

The only thing I dislike about it is the diagnal garage. It looks fine from the front yard, but it's visually ugly from the backyard :-P Just how I feel, but i still find this to be one of the most beautifuly created homes to date.

This house belongs in the desperate housewives neighborhood :p
Test Subject
#3 Old 11th Apr 2005 at 6:36 AM
Nice work. I don't know wat to say, the house is beautiful! I woud like to live in such a house. Bravo!
Field Researcher
#4 Old 11th Apr 2005 at 10:29 AM
Wow, that was really beautyfull house! And BIG! I usually build houses on the 2x3 lot
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 11th Apr 2005 at 9:14 PM
Thanks everyone ;o)

As per the rear of the garage, I admit it looks crap now but you have to picture it with the roof on... I'm also thinking of adding dormers. Though, at this point I'm thinking of just turning it 'straight' and giving up.

Also, I love building houses like this, even if I usually cramp them on the 2x3 lot ;o)

In an update, I did fix all of the wallpaper files to have better shading so they look more 3D and stuff. The garage looks a LOT better as well. And I'm altering the timbering style of the house, too. I'll update the pictures later on when I have time ;o)
Test Subject
#6 Old 11th Apr 2005 at 11:13 PM
Yeah if you were able to put a diagnal roof on it would look great. Have you tried locking all the other roofs and doing an auto roof just to see what it would look like? Probably not pretty...

But it's still beautiful! How long till we can download it??
Instructor
#7 Old 11th Apr 2005 at 11:32 PM
do you need the ep, you should post it somewhere in here if you do or dont
Field Researcher
#8 Old 11th Apr 2005 at 11:41 PM
I love this house! It looks so clean and inviting!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 12th Apr 2005 at 11:28 AM
You can lock rooves? I'm not sure I know how to do that... heh But I did try the auto-roof tool because I mis-read somewhere that it did diagonals (and mistook that to mean well)... it definitely wasn't pretty. I've saved a file of the house with the diagonal garage, but I'm going to make a version with a regular one until someday when Maxis fixes the roof.

As per whether the EP is required; it shouldn't be. Nothing used to build the house is EP, so I don't believe so. When/if I put it up for download, I'll be sure to put that in the post.

And thanks for your comments too ;o) It does look really inviting, which is part of why I love this series. I'm trying to make them so realistic that you just look at the picture and want to go inside and settle onto the sofa with your laptop, a cuppa and some good tunes and play sims ;o)

I'll post some pictures after I alter the garage. Thanks again for all your comments everyone =o)
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 12th Apr 2005 at 12:52 PM
So beautiful very american Thanks
Test Subject
#11 Old 12th Apr 2005 at 11:57 PM
Excuse me while I short-circuit my keyboard. (Excessive amounts of drool.)
Test Subject
#12 Old 14th Apr 2005 at 12:39 PM
This house is so pretty, and it looks really inviting!

I love building houses myself, and I have to say that I miss a diagonal roof 'thingie'. My victorian homes looks a little bit odd with those clumsy roofs on the top.

Nathalieé
Test Subject
#13 Old 14th Apr 2005 at 5:07 PM
Your house looks like a real home and is just delightful. It also looks very playable. How many rooms does it have? I hope we can d/l this soon.
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 14th Apr 2005 at 7:58 PM
this is outstanding! I think you did a wonderful job, I want to live there! LOL Will this be downloadable for all to use?
#15 Old 15th Apr 2005 at 2:19 AM
Nice work, grats!
Test Subject
#16 Old 15th Apr 2005 at 5:36 AM
is it ok to drewl.. cause thats what i am doing right now
Inventor
#17 Old 17th Apr 2005 at 12:55 AM
I am sooo envious of your building talents lol I do very little building but when I do it's nothing as spectacular as this. I need to download some wallpaper that looks like garage doors. Cause there's nothing in game that looks decent enough to make a garage door with lol Disregard that last comment it has nothing to do with anything
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#18 Old 17th Apr 2005 at 4:37 AM
I actually make my own =o) For this one, I simply took one of the panels from a maxis wallpaper and modified it, then added the shadows and paneling and such myself using Photoshop. I'll admit that without it, I wouldn't be able to do any of it ;o)

Thank you, and everyone else, for the lovely comments, though. It really helps me want to go to the effort required to share these when I get comments like that. I have a tonne of other houses that I never bothered to put up, mostly because it's such a pain making sure they're clean, etc. People like you make it worth it!

Quote: Originally posted by Greenlea
I am sooo envious of your building talents lol I do very little building but when I do it's nothing as spectacular as this. I need to download some wallpaper that looks like garage doors. Cause there's nothing in game that looks decent enough to make a garage door with lol Disregard that last comment it has nothing to do with anything
Test Subject
#19 Old 17th Apr 2005 at 12:16 PM
you have done such an amazing job on this house. it is the best one i've seen, i would really love to have this in my game.please don't stop building houses because you obviously have a huge talent, great work xxx
Test Subject
#20 Old 17th Apr 2005 at 4:10 PM
Wow, this is nothing short of amazing! I do quite a bit of building myself so I can appreciate the amount of effort this took. I do hope you put it up for d/l soon as I would love to have this in my game. Kudos to you!!!!! -T
Instructor
#21 Old 17th Apr 2005 at 4:32 PM
I wish i had photoshop... then i would make fantastic houses
Test Subject
#22 Old 19th Apr 2005 at 7:55 AM
Where can I download this?

I love it!

Thanks

XboxXXX
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 19th Apr 2005 at 10:37 PM
OMG This house is absolutly beautiful! Oh i wish I could make a house like this!! Cant wait to DL, thanks so much for making it. It really is fantastic!
Test Subject
#24 Old 19th Apr 2005 at 10:42 PM Last edited by ChiTownSimsFan : 19th Apr 2005 at 10:43 PM. Reason: Wrong thing
Amazing-

Since you made your own garage doors, can you upload 'em somewhere for us? I'd love to have a garage door and yours is simply the best.
Lab Assistant
#25 Old 19th Apr 2005 at 10:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AccioJosh
As per whether the EP is required; it shouldn't be. Nothing used to build the house is EP, so I don't believe so. When/if I put it up for download, I'll be sure to put that in the post.

Especially the discrete concrete and the garage door is EP
that's why it won't work in TS2 Original
I was able to import it but the whole house was kind of floating on a metal fence
(kind of funny though)...that's what covered the space that's normally occupied by the foundation
That way it' sure to be nicely chilled in the summer months
:D
-le
Locked thread | Locked by: ThreadMover Reason: Outdated / No Replies
Page 1 of 2