Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!

Maxis "Lost & Found" #4: The Matte Sphere *OPEN CONTEST*

SCREENSHOTS
Downloads 628 Thanks  Thanks Favourited 83,656 Views
Picked Upload!   This is a picked upload! It showcases some of the best talent and creativity available on MTS and in the community.
Uploaded: 6th Jan 2005 at 6:28 PM
Updated: 16th Feb 2009 at 12:21 AM - Added several Animated Spheres by Pixelhate
07 FEB 2006 - Complete renewal of all the existing Spheres + Added a couple of recolours.
After more than 1 year since the starting of this thread, I could see that still there is some interest about these strange objects
But these packages were created long ago, using outdated tecniques, and therefore I've updated and fixed all the packages posted so far by myself and by other users.

1) The original "Matte Sphere" - formerly brought to you as a "Maxis Lost&Found" - has been completely rebuilt: now it is a recolourable stand-alone object, and a new UVmap has been provided for the mesh.
2) The Gray & Glass recolour by RGiles has been updated, too.
3) The Man-Trap Sphere by Wes_H (not recolourable) has been completely rebuilt.
4) The most famous SuperSphere by JWoods has been updated and heavily fixed: now it's a complete and funcional outdoor lamp (it's recolourable, but only for the stand).
5) A couple of new recolous -Animated ElectricGlow (sphere only) and Rainbow (sphere and stand) - have been added.
NOTE: All the recolours are for the original MatteSphere only: they won't apply to Wes_H's or JWoods' Spheres (they are different objects!).

To see what we are talking about, look at the following screenshots; from left to right:
1) the Grey&Glass recolour and the original Matte Sphere;
2) the Animated ElectricGlow, the Rainbow recolour, the Grey&Glass recolour and the Original MatteSphere;
3) The Man-Trap Sphere by Wes_H
4) The SuperSphere by JWoods.

ppp ppp ppp ppp

------------------------------------------------------------------

11 Feb 2005: The "SHOW THE WORLD YOUR OWN SPHERE" CONTEST is open!

12 Feb 2005: added "Man Trapped into a Sphere" by WES_H
16 Feb 2005: EP-ready and completely fixed version posted (including the clickable area).

16 Feb 2005: added "Super Sphere" by JWOODS

15 May 2006: added "Urban Design" Spherical TV by Helloitsjoe8 (click thumbnails to enlarge):

04 Feb 2009: added several amazing Animated Spheres by Pixelhate (click on thumbnails to enlarge):
Broken and Shiny spheres Animates spheres, nighttime Animated spheres, daylight

-------------------------------------
(Original post follows)

The Matte Sphere is a test object that Maxis left out of the catalog once they finished the beta testing phase. All its test functions were removed before releasing the game, so today the Sphere it's simply a decorative object (quite interesting, indeed). Now the package is EP-ready!

Credits are due to Carrigon, for having inserted this object into his hacked collection, and to RGiles for having created the translucent glass texture for the Sphere (I've slightly changed it, even though it was not necessary).

I have cloned and modified the ObjectData file, so that now the Sphere is visible in the catalog, under Decorative/Stautes (I didn't changed the GUID, because it isn't a different object from the original Sphere).
I've added a recolour for the wooden stand, as well (CEP recolour!).