Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Feb 2017 at 8:19 PM
Default Worlds and the Expansion Packs that made them.
I used CAW to modify a couple of worlds... Mayfield Springs and Neverglades.. Nice big worlds, but I didn't like many of the houses (pretty, and pretty unplayable) and I wanted to populate it with some interesting characters with background and all that.

Well, recently I've started playing with just a FEW EPs instead of everything, because it makes for a more challenging game.

But.... bridges. yeah, they used bridges from different EPs. Like the small Chinese bridge from World adventures. I don't want Tiberium, so no World adventures. which means no bridges.

Obvious solution: replace the bridge. But the "small Chinese bridge" is smaller than any base game bridge.

Now sometimes my sim just drives right down the riverbank where the bridge was and crosses it anyway. Not ideal, but playable. But some simply break the routing. No way for my sim to get from his house to the book store.

Any ideas? Like "Get a life" or "You knew it needed World adventures when you downloaded it"?
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 19th Feb 2017 at 9:46 PM
I hope that i can explain this right, English is not my first language
.I always place a road over the river, a part from the road will sink in to the river. Don't worry about that. And then i use the Grading Road Tool in caw to flatten the road. I always click at the end of the road to flatten it to get it whole road to the same hight. And then you can choose how you decorate the (fake) bridge. I have added some images how a (fake) bridge can look like to give you some ideas. You can also use rocks and scrubs to make a country look bridge. And my sims just walk and drive over the (fake) bridge without sinking in to the river. I hope that this helps.
Screenshots
Test Subject
#3 Old 19th Feb 2017 at 10:43 PM
I think you can try using "Bridge - Concrete Lighted" (tho am not sure if it's basegame, I use all EPs)
it's just almost twice longer than the chinese one, but you can try moving the roads slightly around it to connect them
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 19th Feb 2017 at 11:19 PM Last edited by Emmett Brown : 20th Feb 2017 at 4:02 AM.
I like @AmazingSims idea of just using a road and making a fake bridge! Flatten road is a great idea! As in "So great I didn't know it was there".

Quote: Originally posted by Kastalia
I think you can try using "Bridge - Concrete Lighted" (tho am not sure if it's basegame, I use all EPs)
it's just almost twice longer than the chinese one, but you can try moving the roads slightly around it to connect them

I think the Concrete bridge is used in World Adventures - France. I've been trying to use one of the base game bridges. I had replaced one when I had an epic fail and the whole river was suddenly filled in when I had tried to replace another bridge.

Thanks all for the help!

Edit/P.S. Worked for one bridge, the other bridge sims get about half way across, stop the car, get out, and jump into the river. Gonna need to fix that.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 20th Feb 2017 at 10:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Emmett Brown
I like @AmazingSims idea of just using a road and making a fake bridge! Flatten road is a great idea! As in "So great I didn't know it was there".

I think the Concrete bridge is used in World Adventures - France. I've been trying to use one of the base game bridges. I had replaced one when I had an epic fail and the whole river was suddenly filled in when I had tried to replace another bridge.

Thanks all for the help!

Edit/P.S. Worked for one bridge, the other bridge sims get about half way across, stop the car, get out, and jump into the river. Gonna need to fix that.

Edit/P.S.S. it was maddening. Checked that all roads up to the bridge were properly connected (light blue and not dark blue). Tried it three times; load town, check bridge, re-position roads, make sure they're connected... reload into game, test sim tries to cross. Linda Flynn-Fletcher, Stage name "Lindana" volunteered to check out the bridge. Turns out that in addition to be a rock star, she was also a Civil Engineer.

Then it dawned on me... what if the original maker of this great world (Mayfield Springs) painted the riverbank as not routable? Sure enough! It was cut off by routing paint. I had replaced a larger bridge with a smaller one. The older bridge had it's ends in the routeable area. My smaller bridge, one instance just one end (so they'd jump in the river) and this latest incantation both ends were in blue unroutable territory.

Works!! Now I'm gonna play it!
Field Researcher
#6 Old 21st Feb 2017 at 5:27 AM
You fixed it; proof that you're better than EA at plugging away at it until it works right. Congrats! Cake please, thank you.

Yeah EA, I'm looking at you and the bridge in Barnacle Bay (for starters).