Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Dec 2010 at 12:34 AM Last edited by monca533 : 11th Dec 2010 at 1:02 AM.
Default Mesh transnparencies
Hi!

I was wondering... is it possible to make transparent parts in a mesh using Milkshape?

I mean something like part of a skirt transparent, for exemple. Like the people make in Sims 2. :D
Advertisement
Sockpuppet
#2 Old 10th Dec 2010 at 12:55 AM
Made many attempts on clothing and failed.
One time i managed to convert some glasses into clothing and made a transparant(recolorble) nighty but i cant remember how i fixed the bone issues.(glasses need the headbone to work )
I do remember i used the phong alpha material settings and used the mask texture for the transparancy, done with TSRW.

You can cut away parts on a meshlayer tho, i once uploaded a alphaskirt for testing here: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=411123
I used the material settings of the hula skirt from EA's store(guessing those settings are the same as the alpha necklace that came with Ambitions?)
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#3 Old 10th Dec 2010 at 11:12 AM
emhpb has a tutorial somewhere on making alpha accessories in TSRW somewhere, the same methods may be applicable to clothes, I don't know.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Scholar
Original Poster
#4 Old 11th Dec 2010 at 1:05 AM
I found this tutorial for Sims 2.
There is a way to apply it for Sims 3?
Sockpuppet
#5 Old 11th Dec 2010 at 1:19 AM
Quote: Originally posted by whiterider
emhpb has a tutorial somewhere on making alpha accessories in TSRW somewhere, the same methods may be applicable to clothes, I don't know.

yup, it works for editing the alpha layer by the texture files(cutting away parts of the layer)
Clothing works the same but transparancy isn't suported.

Quote: Originally posted by monca533
I found this tutorial for Sims 2.
There is a way to apply it for Sims 3?

yup, you can use that tutorial as the meshing part is identical to sims 2.
The extra layer you can load into into a outfit wich has 2 meshgroups.

Edit,
If you want the transparancy(non recolorble) like glass you can change the material settings in the meshtab for that particular group.
Did some testing with it but never released anything cos you cant apply patterns or recolor it.
Scholar
Original Poster
#6 Old 11th Dec 2010 at 3:39 PM
Oh my.... So we will never have a semi transparent clothing (like an over skirt) which we can recolor?

It is soooooooooo frustrating!!!!!!

Edit: I don't know nothing about making hairs but, the bride veil of Store is made from a hair mesh or from an object?

It is exactly the material I want for my clothing.

Do you know how it was made?
Sockpuppet
#7 Old 11th Dec 2010 at 5:57 PM
If the veil is a diffrent meshgroup then the hair we might can use the material settings.
Do you have it? Can you send it to me? Have a link to it? :D
Instructor
#8 Old 11th Dec 2010 at 7:14 PM
Scholar
Original Poster
#9 Old 11th Dec 2010 at 11:48 PM Last edited by whiterider : 12th Dec 2010 at 2:10 AM. Reason: You know better than to go posting Store items in their entirety on threads...
This is one of the hairstyles with veil.

If you get to make the transparence clothing with this, please: can you make a tutorial?
Sockpuppet
#10 Old 12th Dec 2010 at 3:14 PM
ill have a look
Scholar
Original Poster
#11 Old 12th Dec 2010 at 3:19 PM
Thanks friend!!! :lovestruc
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#12 Old 12th Dec 2010 at 3:58 PM
I meant to look at the veil too - translucent clothing would be great to have.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#13 Old 12th Dec 2010 at 4:09 PM
Perhaps the problem with CASting was due to the opacity value you used? In objects, if the opacity is below x% then no CASting is possible, but above that threshold CASting works. I don't know what said value is though.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Scholar
Original Poster
#14 Old 12th Dec 2010 at 7:47 PM
Whiterider: I very much would like to know about the values and the composing of each material but... I don't know nothing. The furniture and other objects has the transparency faculty? If yes, why the clothing doesn't has?
Sorry for theese primary questions. Like I said above, I realy love to know about this.
Sockpuppet
#15 Old 12th Dec 2010 at 8:31 PM
You can have the same material settings for clothes thats not the problem, but they cant be recolored(neither can objects who uses those settings.)

If you want to expiriment with clothing you change the material settings to phong alpha.
But when doing that the linking to the recolor(design)files gets messed up wich is a 2nd material setting. that overules the first one(or something like that....)
Sockpuppet
#16 Old 12th Dec 2010 at 9:32 PM
Forget my comments, just installed the latest TSRW and they changed a few settings...
You can no longer copy meshgroups or material settings, think there were to many bugs modding those.
They also deleted the option to add or mod the boneselection/skeleton.

So to pull this of you need to extract the GEOMS and change the material settings in the meshfile.
Haven't figured out how to open the veil yet, but let you know asap.
Scholar
Original Poster
#17 Old 12th Dec 2010 at 11:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BloomsBase
Forget my comments, just installed the latest TSRW and they changed a few settings...
You can no longer copy meshgroups or material settings, think there were to many bugs modding those.
They also deleted the option to add or mod the boneselection/skeleton.

So to pull this of you need to extract the GEOMS and change the material settings in the meshfile.
Haven't figured out how to open the veil yet, but let you know asap.

Thank you my friend! I'm pretty sure you'll get open the veil and solve the translucient question! :D
Sockpuppet
#18 Old 14th Dec 2010 at 6:08 PM
unfortunate not....
The veil is like a hairfile and when i use those settings on clothing the part becomes transparant but i cant recolor it.
Hair files get their transparancy from the multiplier while outfits use a extra transparancy texture.

The only thing i can try is to compare the veil material settings with the stores hulaskirt in Milkshape.
The secret is the embedded type, if some programmer could locate the ones used by the game we might can solve this.
I am sure those settings are already part of the basegamefiles as they work on basegame clothes/hairs
Scholar
Original Poster
#19 Old 14th Dec 2010 at 7:22 PM
Well, let's cross our fingers and wait someone make that.

Anyway, thanks alot for your trying!
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#20 Old 14th Dec 2010 at 9:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BloomsBase
unfortunate not....
The veil is like a hairfile and when i use those settings on clothing the part becomes transparant but i cant recolor it.
Hair files get their transparancy from the multiplier while outfits use a extra transparancy texture.

The only thing i can try is to compare the veil material settings with the stores hulaskirt in Milkshape.
The secret is the embedded type, if some programmer could locate the ones used by the game we might can solve this.
I am sure those settings are already part of the basegamefiles as they work on basegame clothes/hairs

Bloom, do you mean the MTNF info in the meshes? Have you looked at it in Dephy's MTNF small editor? I see there's a transparency setting there, but I assume it doesn't work properly in clothing.
Sockpuppet
#21 Old 14th Dec 2010 at 11:22 PM
Had a look at those once but could not enable it.(yup, the MTNF)
TSRw has the option also but it only works on cutting away parts of the meshlayer, not the transparancy.(for the clothes that is)
Sims 2 had 2 settings, alphablendenabled and alphatestenabled and im sure EA will release a outfit one day that has it enabled).

I have it working on a set of glasses but can no longer open it with the new version of TSRW(they cut down on the material options....to many bugs i guess)
Another problem is that every item uses a diffrent texture file to pull this off.....
Plants use the overlay texture
Outfits use the transparancy texture
Hair uses the multiplier(base) texture
And with the glasses i did i got it working on greying out the mask texture, driving me crazy lol

The transparancy however isn't the biggest problem, its how to recolor with a texture file
Sockpuppet
#22 Old 16th Dec 2010 at 12:29 PM Last edited by BloomsBase : 16th Dec 2010 at 12:47 PM.
With the latest version of TSRW you make outfits transparant(the meshlayer)
Just grey out the layers on the transparancy map but it doesn't look good(blending issues and bad build faces in alot meshes)
ill try to upload a few screeny's

Edit,
nevermind....doesn't work ingame
Scholar
Original Poster
#23 Old 16th Dec 2010 at 10:43 PM
Just speculating: do you think that the TSRW's old version could work better in this case?
Sockpuppet
#24 Old 17th Dec 2010 at 3:23 AM
Nah, the material settings are protected(or simply unavailable) with clothing(also with older versions of TSRW)

You need to change them after you created a package with Postal or S3PE The alphaskirt i made with TSRW, then converted the sims3pack to package and changed the MTNF(materials) with Postal and Milkshape
All the lines from the EmbeddedType and below in the mesh its commentbox(when opening a GEOM with Wes H his GEOM MS plugin) are the MTNF settings
I copied the store's hulaskirt settings and used those.
But i dont understand all those settings and dont know wat to edit to make it transparant.

I do have problems reloading the alphaskirt in the latest version of TSRW so i might reinstall it.
Scholar
Original Poster
#25 Old 17th Dec 2010 at 11:45 PM
I hope will get success with the TSRW!

I'm waiting for you to say: EUREKA!!!! I got the translucient clothing! Hahahaha
Page 1 of 2