Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Dec 2010 at 10:57 PM
Default question about creating custom sims (celebrities)
Ok, I saw here 2 threads so far on creating custom celeb sims, but if there is any detailed tutorial that I missed I'd be more than happy if you'd point me to it.

In sims 2 I tried making my first celeb sims and I used to open the face skin in photoshop and then paste celebs faces over it and modify it and then put it on the sims, but since here in sims 3 is no bodyshop I found this program CAS on here and some members tried making celeb sims with this and as I can see they turned out pretty similar to real people. I'm referring to these two threads http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...d=1#post3397146 and http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...d=1#post3397155

mow if anyone please could help me and point me to a tutorial or write me one I'd really be thankful, so I can start making my own celeb sims as well. thanks a lot :]
Advertisement
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#2 Old 17th Dec 2010 at 11:44 PM
As far as I know, there isn't a specific tutorial on this; however, following any makeup tutorial will help you get to grips with the basics, and then you can use the same techniques as are used in Sims 2.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 17th Dec 2010 at 11:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by whiterider
As far as I know, there isn't a specific tutorial on this; however, following any makeup tutorial will help you get to grips with the basics, and then you can use the same techniques as are used in Sims 2.

thanks. but I don't know which files to open and how to edit them in photoshop. could you point me to some tutorial that's kind of enough specific, make up one for now as you say there's no other?
Scholar
#4 Old 17th Dec 2010 at 11:50 PM
You can try start with this and this.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 18th Dec 2010 at 4:28 AM
Quote: Originally posted by monca533
You can try start with this and this.

thanks a lot. will check those.
Forum Resident
#6 Old 18th Dec 2010 at 5:32 AM
Can I just say complete face masks are horrible horrible creatures in Sims 3. Honestly no one wants a piece of CC they can only use on one sim, not to mention they don't age well either. I'd suggest first grab some good comparison pics, put your game in windowed mode and start sculpting. And after tweeking your sim, then, if you need to add/make some facial shaders that we'd be able to use on multiple sims. Like this, or these. I get so disappointed when I see a sim on TSR that actually looks like who they are supposed to be(for a change) only to get a face mask. JUST SAY NO. Just my opinion, and you know what they say about opinions...
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 22nd Dec 2010 at 1:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by omegastarr82
Can I just say complete face masks are horrible horrible creatures in Sims 3. Honestly no one wants a piece of CC they can only use on one sim, not to mention they don't age well either. I'd suggest first grab some good comparison pics, put your game in windowed mode and start sculpting. And after tweeking your sim, then, if you need to add/make some facial shaders that we'd be able to use on multiple sims. Like this, or these. I get so disappointed when I see a sim on TSR that actually looks like who they are supposed to be(for a change) only to get a face mask. JUST SAY NO. Just my opinion, and you know what they say about opinions...

so you mean masks can only be for let's say someone creates adult celeb sim and you're saying you can't use it as your sim gets old or just that it looks strange?
by sculpting you mean just plain nose, eyes etc adjusting by watching a comparison pic of selected celeb?
well, I'm no artist and this one's kind o hard for me, cause I never get everything right =/
and facial shaders are just tiny additions, like eyes, blush and stuff, right?

on the other hand, I don't know how to make sims or how do other people on TSR for example make them for sims 3 now since there's no bodyshop like in 2. probably they go about sculpting then as I understood there's only this or masks option for now in sims 3, no?
and don't worry I appreciate putting your opinion down. :]
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#8 Old 22nd Dec 2010 at 2:11 AM
Default This ain't exactly my first rodeo...
It really is just a matter of playing with the settings in the Create a Sim screen until you get something that you like. Mods to increase the slider range, and to add new sliders help a lot too, but there's still limits on how close you can get, so you just have to do your best with the tools available.

Face masks can help the sim look more like a particular celeb, but they are quite hard to make look right in-game. More often they just look overly shaded and sort of, um, dirty. And if you breed the sim, then the mask doesn't transfer to the children (unless done as a skin tone, which is a pretty silly way to do it, creating more skins to scroll through when it's already a pain to scroll through all the inlabeled skin tone dots). Much better and more impressive to create a good likeness with the way you sculpt the face, and by choosing the right pieces of cc (hair, eye bags, lips, etc) to make the person look like themselves without masks. Then the majority of their features will be passed down to their children, and you should still be able to see some resemblance even in their grandkids.

I won't download any sim with a mask, and I'd say the majority of simmers are likely of the same mind, at least from what I've seen in comments around the community.

Also, find the best comparison pics you can. You usually need at leas one straight-on facing forward pic and one profile, from the side. Pics with the person blank faced, ie not smiling or making a face are best.... Mugshots, basically. Crappy comparison pics make for distorted, crappy resulting sims.

Oh, and get Awesomemod, so your sims don't smile in CAS, which makes them harder to sculpt. It also can increase the slider limit and range. Make sure to check your sims in game too, not just in cas. I find Twallan's Master Controller and Debug Enabler very useful for these, as the former allows you to easily go back to cas to re-tweak your sims and the latter has some animation options so you can make them hold still or pose to get a better idea of how they look.

So yeah... No Body Shop for Sims 3, but with a bit of nice cc, and a few tricks..... And a whole lot of time and tweaking, anyone can make sims.

You will probably also find the Creator Feedback Forum useful, once you have a good start made on a sim. Post side by side pics from the front and side, and you can get help with how to sculpt your sim for a better likeness, suggestions on cc, and a whole lot of encouragement from other creators. For as long as I've been making sims, I still find having the opinions of others an indispensable resource, and the result is always better than I would have been able to so on my own.

Most importantly, don't rush it. The biggest mistake beginners tend to make is to rush, and to say/think, "well, I've worked on him for two hours and that's a long time, so I must be done." A great likeness is not made in an hour or day. Most of the sims I have made have taken at least a week, working on them for at least an hour a day.... Or more, when I have made cc specially for them. It can help put a sim aside for a day or a week, also, and come back to it with fresh eyes to see what still needs fixing.

Good luck!