Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Feb 2015 at 10:45 PM Last edited by Florentzina : 13th Feb 2015 at 11:17 PM.
Lifestyle and Family businesses
First off, I know people has different playstyles and preference, so this question might be a bit too specific.
In all of my hoods, a sims lifestyle (what they do for living, not their free time interests) is the most important aspects and often the main factor when creating owned business, followed by their primary aspiration, so when looking spouses I often look for ones that have something in common so they have these businesses together where the offsprings following their parents footstep (its a generation thing-y). Like active popularity sims may have a business related to sports, fitness or dance.

Couples that have similare lifestyles and interests are easier to figure out, but this thread is about the more complex one. I'll show an example of a couple who doesnt have much in common (at least in my eyes):

The husband is a serious and active knowledge sim who has sort of science-type of lifestyle, mainly focusing on things related to the logic skills. (if using uni major as example, he probably would be working in something related to physics).
But his wife is on the other hand a very active but serious fortune sim with a lifestyle related to dance, body skill. (if she went to college, her major would be literature.)
Both are from a average-rich families (like maxi's own social group, techs) has family as secondary aspiration and want to pass down their business to their children. Both are also very strict.

Personally I dont usually combine fortune sims with fortune or popularity sims together because I dont find they have much in common the way I interpret them (but doesnt mean they can't be happy. Couples who has less in common are usually sims I tends to add some drama or conflics for story plot twists). This example is perhaps not super-contradicting (might be if the wife was a romantic or popularity type. ),

but anyway, if you were choosing a family business to these two - What kinds would come in mind when thinking about their lifestyle (science/dance) and aspiration (knowledge-fortune), or if the wife was a popularity or romance sim? With family businesses, Im refering to one that the family will have for generations and pass on to their children until there are no decendents left in that particulare family.

Edit: Woops, the example had similare personalities but their interests an goals are not so similare. (I am not sure if its their interests or if its opposite personality that would have harder to get along. In real life, a shy nerdy person and a outgoing/playful musiical person would probably be a bit uncomfortable doing the other's person interest and that was the point with thread. What kind of jobs/business could they work with together when their goals and interests are not similare.).
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 13th Feb 2015 at 10:56 PM
They run a health spa in which mysticism and medical science come together in yoga, tai chi, diet, and a holistic fitness regimen that includes meditation and massage.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Scholar
Original Poster
#4 Old 14th Feb 2015 at 12:32 AM
Plat. Plumbbob. I was asking about community businesses though that are related to what kind of sims they are (mainly aspiration, personality, interests though you can probably throw in other aspects). music venues, retail stores, restuarants, salons, stuff like that
Like those thread where you based the sims lifestyle based on aspiration combination or what aspects when choosing a career. in this case, it was business.

Although unrelated to the thread. In my own game, I dont even have LTW other than the number ones like 6 grandkids because business are used when its possible.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#6 Old 14th Feb 2015 at 2:45 AM
Given a couple like that I would probably give them separate businesses unless I could somehow marry the science and body together. Perhaps a 'fitness centre' with a secret basement where he watches them exercise on spy cameras and measures their metabolic rate ext. So really the gym is a cover for his experiments.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
#7 Old 14th Feb 2015 at 10:11 AM
It seems like the overlap would be biology-related - how the body works. It could perhaps be a hospital/med school, if you're not set on making a profit with the business. If it's meant to be their way of making a living... Health food? (Give one of them a family secondary and sell/serve comfort soup.) Dance/fitness studio, like Peni mentioned, with the knowledge sim perhaps holding lectures about nutrition and how the muscles work? A massage table would be good. Electro dance spheres are a way to raise body skill but are also linked to abduction.