Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Apr 2014 at 3:31 AM Last edited by Dizzy-noodles : 2nd Jun 2014 at 11:51 AM.
Default How do I fix my custom hair for elders?-SOLVED, see last posts
Hello,
I have noticed recently that some of my hairs don't have an option for the elders. For example, one of my female XM sims hairs (recoloured by someone else). When the sim wearing this hair ages up to elder, they end up with the maxis 'long simple' hair. Is there a way to fix this? I have grey recolours of some of these hairs, I just don't know how to make it the elder option.

A less annoying problem is that some of the hairs just stay the colour that they already are, when the sim ages to elder, for example, a blonde hair will stay blonde when the sim ages up. This is preferable to the above scenario, but I would still prefer a grey option for these hairs.

Does anyone know if there is a way to correct these things?

Thankyou
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 28th Apr 2014 at 7:59 PM
Have you tried rebinning the hairs, like with Cat's hair binner tool? I think there may be an option in there for grey hair, which might assign it correctly.
Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 29th Apr 2014 at 11:43 AM
Thanks for the suggestion, no I haven't tried it, although I did wonder about it. I went back to the download page and read about it's functions again, but as I didn't see it written explicitly, I wasn't sure if it did it.

Do you think it's the 5th option? You know, under the 4 other colours? I might try it anyway, I've only used it to bin the other 4 colours so far, hopefully it will work! I don't really want my elders to all look the same as each other.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 29th Apr 2014 at 7:53 PM
Probably. It looks like if you click "separate grey" then you'll be able to have the grey show up in addition to the other colours. Otherwise, I'm not sure what happens. The elders get "dyed" hair maybe?
Scholar
Original Poster
#5 Old 1st May 2014 at 11:29 AM Last edited by Dizzy-noodles : 1st May 2014 at 12:53 PM.
Hello, just tried it and it works for the wrong-coloured hair, but not for the hair which changes meshes. Any ideas?
Mad Poster
#6 Old 1st May 2014 at 7:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Dizzy-noodles
Hello, just tried it and it works for the wrong-coloured hair, but not for the hair which changes meshes. Any ideas?

The hair that changes meshes... There's probably no custom mesh assigned to the elder age. I'm not sure how to fix that. I guess you could add the mesh for elders to the recolour package by assigning the adult mesh to the elder age group (but only as long as elders and adults have the same head shape/position).

Hopefully, someone with more hair experience will chime in here. I'm pretty sure it's a fixable problem; I'm just not sure exactly how to do it.
Scholar
Original Poster
#7 Old 3rd May 2014 at 6:42 AM
Thanks for answering. I've been reading this http://hat-plays-sims.dreamwidth.org/34791.html , and I wondered if it's to do with the property set? I had a peek in some of the files, but each one had at least 5, so I wasn't really sure which one to look at, but there seemed to be one for toddlers, kids, and teens, and then one set at 58 (for young adults, adults, and elders all together). I kind of thought maybe this was the problem, as I don't have University, so I don't have young adults, so maybe I need to change it to 18?

Does anyone know?
Mad Poster
#8 Old 3rd May 2014 at 8:15 AM
Well, the Property Set may be part of it, but I think there also needs to be a 3DIR for each age group because those are what get linked to the mesh files. But this is something that an experienced hair person should probably help you with (because I can barely get those 3DIR things working, even at the best of times).

Having the age in the Property Set set to 58 shouldn't be affecting anything. If you don't have University... well, you just don't have the Young Adult age. The hair should still show up for Adults and Elders; the only way it wouldn't show up for Elders would be if the age was set to 48 (because that's just Young Adult and Adult). You can try setting it to 18; it won't affect your game since you don't have University, but it's probably not going to make the hair magically appear for Elders, either.
Doing all the things, and *mostly* not failing.
retired moderator
#9 Old 5th May 2014 at 10:44 PM
Its the Family line, you need to make sure that all the colors and the elder grey have the same number in the Family line. There might be something more broken with it, but that's usually all it is.
Scholar
Original Poster
#10 Old 7th May 2014 at 3:40 PM
Thankyou both for helping. Phaenoh-I will check that later, thanks.
Scholar
Original Poster
#11 Old 14th May 2014 at 12:00 AM
Hi, sorry to bump, but I tried today, and the family line is the same. I also tried changing the property set, but that didn't work either. Does anyone have any ideas, or is it not really worth pursuing?
retired moderator
#12 Old 15th May 2014 at 4:24 AM
Archive up the mesh and all your recolors, and post here. Something is fishy.
Scholar
Original Poster
#13 Old 15th May 2014 at 12:44 PM
Thanks, I will do that. Do I need to get an account, like box or something, or can I just add it as an attachment?
retired moderator
#14 Old 15th May 2014 at 10:47 PM
Fairly sure you can just add it as an attachment.
Scholar
Original Poster
#15 Old 16th May 2014 at 2:47 AM
Ok thanks. I will try to add it to this one. I think it's worked.

All the hairs in the file have been re-named by me, and put through Cat's Hair Binner. The Holic hairs are a bit weird, they would not bin properly, I had to make a clone to get the blonde one to bin, and even after doing that it won't familify with the others. I love it though and use it a lot on my sims. The Flower hairs are also a bit weird in that the grey option has the textures of the Flower grey, but on the maxis mesh.

Thankyou so much for having a look, it's very kind of you. :lovestruc
Attached files:
File Type: zip  Hairs where the mesh changes for elders.zip (17.55 MB, 11 downloads) - View custom content
Field Researcher
#16 Old 18th May 2014 at 7:47 AM
With a brief look at the files you uploaded, I don't know whether there was a saving error involved with the binner or what, but three of those elder recolors aren't even being recognized as valid hair files by my SimPE binning plugin. The fourth (the Holic) is only showing a Maxis texture in the elder file. The flower hair is indeed showing some bizarre set of textures, including one with the new textures on the Maxis longhair alpha, but there's a gray texture that appears to be correct for that hair mesh stuck in the package.

(I really don't know what's going on with the Holic files. Trapping's generally very reliable with her files being properly working and textured for all ages, though she does put the elder colors in separate packages, with the other colors remaining available for all ages, so if you want your elders going gray as a rule, then you'd need to bin differently. Unless there was some more bin tool wonkiness there.)

I've personally had some problems getting a hair file to show up as YA/Adult/Elder when changing the property set to the value that ought to make it display for all three of them. Usually, there's just one age missing, so I'll set one property set to display for YA/Adult, and the other to display for Elder. So, if a hair's missing an Elder, I'll change either the YA or Adult to Elder, and then make the remaing property set do double duty for both. Then, I'd clone the hair in Bodyshop, and retexture away.

So, my advice would be to nab a fresh set of the original textures, and try rebinning again. Even if the elder hair textures are in a different package, you should be able to designate all of the colors to be part of the same family. Your problem may simply have arisen from trying to change too many things at once or, if you were in SimPE, accidentally clicking on the wrong field or not pushing "commit" everywhere you should have.

If the original retextures were all lacking an age you need (such as no elder age group existing for that elder gray recolor package), then you'd need to go in and start changing property sets. But that's usually not necessary. If that Flower hair has always displayed wonky like that, though, then it'll take more work than simply rebinning it.

Stories (okay, LEGACIES), Tutorials, and Downloads at my sim journal:
http://rikkulidea.livejournal.com
Scholar
Original Poster
#17 Old 18th May 2014 at 2:09 PM
Hiya, thanks. I didn't bin them with SimPE, I used Cat's Hair Binner, I downloaded a grey for each hair (white for the Holic) and added it as a separate grey. I only did each one at at time. The original textures were all lacking the elder age when I downloaded them. Do you have a link to a tutorial on binning using SimPE please? Maybe that might work instead.

The Holic retextures were done by Elecy at GOS, not by Trapping, I think Trapping just converted the mesh from 3to2 and FtoM.
Field Researcher
#18 Old 19th May 2014 at 1:54 AM
I've got a section in my genetics tutorial that walks through using the SimPE binning plugin by Theo here. I have tried Cat's before, it worked perfectly, and it ought to have worked all right for adding an elder gray to the family, too, but I've never had a problem using SimPE myself. Every once and awhile, every program can hiccup during a saving process, and I think that turns people off certain utilities entirely.

There's also a tutorial kicking around here that explains how to do these things manually in SimPE, but it's only easy if you're super familiar with the program and, still, the various utilities for hair binning are always faster.

If you keep a backup of the files you want separated, if you still have trouble with them after doing it yourself, I'd be willing to try and do them for you. But, of course, if you get it worked out nicely on your own, then you'll be able to do it again (and faster) in the future.

Stories (okay, LEGACIES), Tutorials, and Downloads at my sim journal:
http://rikkulidea.livejournal.com
Scholar
Original Poster
#19 Old 19th May 2014 at 1:08 PM
Thanks for the help. I've managed to fix the Skysims hair and the Holic hair. I'm still struggling with the other two, but will try again later, one last time. If that doesn't work, then I might take you up on your kind offer, if that's alright? Thankyou
Scholar
Original Poster
#20 Old 1st Jun 2014 at 6:15 AM Last edited by Dizzy-noodles : 2nd Jun 2014 at 11:50 AM.
Managed to fix the Newsea Flower today by using the original grey, and found an alternative for the Cazy Sky. So all fixed, thanks.