Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Jun 2016 at 10:08 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Default Pond Water is invisible...
I had this issue once before and the only way I was able to fix it is by deleting the entire pond and starting with a new one with less water in one area and making the entire pond more shallow. Doing that made the water visible and reflective again but as soon as I tried to add more water to make the pond larger or deeper the water would again disappear.

I forgot that this was an issue for me on this lot and today I added a tiny pond elsewhere on the lot. Well, doing that caused the other pond's water to disappear again. I tried deleting the tiny pond. I also again tried making the larger pond shallow, etc but I can't seem to get the water back. I'm not sure if it's a graphics issue maybe?

Considering my pond has fish and is decorated with rocks and a mermaid in the middle, it looks really dumb with invisible water.
Also, other water in game including the ocean is still visible and reflective.

*I ended up opening a previous saved game and the pond water is visible so it was definitely the addition of a second pond that caused to water to disappear. Any idea how I can fix that? I'd like to have multiple ponds on the same lot.

Visible:

Invisible:
Advertisement
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 3rd Jul 2016 at 8:37 AM Last edited by eringobragh22 : 3rd Jul 2016 at 9:25 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
What is your reflection setting? Set it to off or max, then set it back to your original setting. You may need to restart the game.

My reflection settings were set to the highest setting as my computer and graphics can handle it. I turned it to off and then set it. Then reopened settings and set it back to high, saved the game and completely restarted the game. The water is still invisible so I decided to just flatten the terrain and start over on the pond but the water is still invisible even as I'm laying it. This really frustrating. Invisible ponds looks really bad on the lot. =/

EDIT:
I also tried just now setting the reflections to off, then restarting the game, reopening and setting it back to high, resetting the game once again. That still didn't work!
I should also add that I opened another lot in another town and the pond water showed perfectly so it appears that it's a problem with that specific lot and I have no idea why.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 4th Jul 2016 at 8:36 AM
Hi,

I just realized your "invisible" water is actually "no water" in the sense that the water effect is gone.

I'm not entirely sure if it is related, but when you go diving, some players complained about the water effect and they opted to turn it off by unchecking the "advanced rendering" in the graphics tools.

So for your case, it seemed the water effect is disabled for the pond somehow. You can try turning "off" the advanced rendering and the turning it back on. You will need to reboot.

(I'm not entirely sure this would work, considering you still have the water effect in your oceans etc... but this will at least refresh the advance rendering, could... help? maybe?)

EDIT: Try this last since it requires reboot. The other below can be tried faster.

----

Another thing you can try if you haven't. Since you mentioned trying in another town and it worked... which town would that be? Is it a custom town? Either way, try deleting your cache files. It might be corrupted. A new town may generate new cache for the town, especially if it is a custom town.

---

Another thing you can try, which again if you haven't, save the lot into the bin. delete the lot. replace it with the one in the bin.

I can only guess and suggest similar lot fixing methods. I tried to duplicate your error, but I couldn't. I was able to build multiple ponds on a lot of different depth without any problems. So it looks a lot like some sort of either mod/cc related or lot corruption.

Okay, I started with deleting all the cache files which didn't do the trick. Then I tried copying the lot which wouldn't work. It kept showing the prompt "werewolves and transformed sims must be in their human form in order to be exported or shared." Not sure what the issue is there. That lot does have occult sims but not werewolves (Witch and Fairy). I was able to eventually copy the household through another way though I can't for the life of me remember how I did it. Possibly with a mod.
But after copying it and deleting the lot and replacing it again the water was still gone. I noticed it wasn't even showing up in the preview of the lot when placing it.
Turning off Advanced Rendering and then back on (it was on originally) also did nothing.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 7th Jul 2016 at 12:44 PM
You've mentioned that you tried this on another world and it worked. Have you tried on a different lot of the same world as this broken one?

Looks like either the lot is busted or the world is busted. I'm assuming you've tried this in a clean game too, to make sure it is not mod related?

Anyhow, if it is only happening in this lot, it looks like it is a lot issue. If you like, you can actually upload the lot to mediafire etc, and I can take a look. Because so far, I cannot duplicate the problem. If you want to do that, just save the lot into the bin and then go to your "libraries" folder, it is the latest file. I prefer this file b/c it is a raw file instead of the "packaged out" file and it is also smaller to upload.

I actually haven't tried it on a different lot in the same world nor did I try it without CC. haha I definitely should have done that since that's usually the very first thing that I do. I guess I didn't think about it since the pond always worked just fine with all my current CC.
I ended up copying the lot like you suggested and then moved it to a completely different world. I wanted to make a completely custom town anyway. When I first opened the lot the pond was still invisible so I once more tried deleting the entire pond, flattening the area and refilling with water. Well, the water showed back up! And is no longer invisible. I haven't tried creating an additional pond on that lot to see if I can recreate the issue though so it may arise again if I decide to add another pond later. But for now it works.

I'll go ahead and upload the lot though if you wanna check out what might be the cause in case it happens to me again.
https://www.mediafire.com/?39tdq7ram5yj14a

Oh and I remember how I was able to copy the lot to the bin now! It kept saying "werewolves and transformed sims must be in their human form in order to be exported or shared" when I tried to make a copy so I instead evicted the family and chose "Move with House" then made a copy of them from the clipboard. That was the only way to get past that werewolf prompt.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#9 Old 8th Jul 2016 at 11:20 AM
Ok,

Well, I plotted your lot into a clean game and took a look. The whole side with the pond from your screenshot is borked. The pond in your screenshot in my game is empty, no water. The whole side there the pond tool doesn't work. The culprits are 2 custom items in the pond. The ccs themselves are probably not the problem, but the placement of those items causing the problem.

1st - looks like the light green custom plant that is above the blue clam. I run a clean game, so it was replaced with a generic potted plant.

2nd - this one is not in your screenshot. It is some sort of custom content on the left of the blue clam under the long grey rock. In my clean game, it was replaced with a mini statute.

These 2 items needs to be either removed or just moved. Once I removed them, the pond tool was working again.

Oh wooow! Such a silly, simple little thing! And all that work just from some items in the way. haha

Though, I wonder what about their placement exactly caused that error. Also, I'm curious why when I deleted the whole pond on that wonky lot in original world including moving all the stuff off it, it still didn't work. Only when I moved it to another world and redid the pond did it work once again.

Anyway, thanks for your help Nitromon!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#11 Old 8th Jul 2016 at 12:05 PM
Hey no prob, but I'm not entirely sure it is a fix until you can get a chance to try it. I'm just reporting how the lot behaved in my game and I was running a clean game. I rarely build ponds at all, so I also don't know why certain placements would bork it.

If you deleted the whole pond, make sure you use the "hammer" tool to "area clear" the whole pond area. There may be other hidden objects that are not visible and it may be ccs that were deleted when I ran a clean game.

I'll have to check it out in my game and see what that does. I'm kinda over that lot though. I'm starting to love the new world I put it in.
But yeah, I usually use the hammer tool to make absolutely certain all the water and everything is gone then flatten the terrain and totally start over.