Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Pretty Space Pony
retired moderator
#26 Old 5th Aug 2014 at 6:09 AM
It won't work. Really, it doesn't mean that the lot will look messed up, it means their game will crash if they don't have M&G. For a contest, someone shared an empty lot with a pond on it, just a pond, no plants or anything. They had M&G, some people didn't. What happened? For those people, they couldn't open the game with the lot installed. So please listen to experienced lot uploaders such as Jo and iCad, 'cos they actually know what they're talking about.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#27 Old 5th Aug 2014 at 11:54 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Pygsmyemm
Yeh i understood i think it will still work though, at least the walls, foundations, windows, possibly the roof (although it might show all messed up), and possibly a few objects might show up though for people who risk it, but that's as good as it might get.

You think. We know. There's a difference.

Don't start your career as an uploader by being an ass. Really. Don't.
Scholar
#28 Old 5th Aug 2014 at 1:15 PM
Didn't someone post a cheat somewhere that shows the EP/SP that such an object came from when you looked at its catalog description?

edit: found it!

boolprop ShowCatalogEPFlags [true/false]

The drop off has been made. You've been warned.
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#29 Old 5th Aug 2014 at 1:59 PM
@Pygsmyemm - I think perhaps you have not read the MTS2:Creator_Guidelines/Lots_and_Houseswiki. If you fail to read and follow those, chances are your lot won't be approved. It clearly (among other things) the information regarding EPs/SPs.
Mad Poster
#30 Old 5th Aug 2014 at 2:54 PM
Well, never mind. If he/she can't be bothered to read this thread, they probably won't get through the download queue anyway.

It might be annoying as a creator, but it definitely saves a lot of heartache as a downloader!

iCad, I thought that having a lot in the game with EPs you don't own was supposed to crash even if just moused over in the lot catalog? Or does that happen only some of the time?

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Undead Molten Llama
#31 Old 5th Aug 2014 at 6:03 PM
I've had lots in my game that I didn't have all the EPs for, back when I didn't have all EPs. Usually it was because the creator hadn't specified what was needed or incorrectly specified what was needed. Or sometimes, I imagine I just didn't read correctly. Anyway, sometimes, the lot was in the bin and I would be able to place the lot in the neighborhood but not be able to load it. The game would crash at that point. Sometimes it never showed in the bin at all. I, personally, never experienced my game not loading at all. A "bad" lot has only happened to me a couple times, though. If I have a problem with my game not loading, it's always been solved by clearing caches, so I've never had to remove a bad lot. I'm not saying it never happens; it's just never happened to me in my small experience with "bad" lots.

I'm going to guess that the game's reaction to a lot that you don't have the proper EPs for depends on what EPs you're missing (Like, if you're missing the one that gives you the proper game engine, I imagine the game might crash entirely), or whether or not the creator used items from it, etc. Best practice, of course, is only to download lots that you have the EPs for. Trouble happens if the creator doesn't specify properly or gives you misinformation. If I see one more, "I have all EPs/SPs, so use Clean Installer, tee hee!" on Tumblr, I'm going to break something. Using Clean Installer doesn't solve this issue.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Mad Poster
#32 Old 5th Aug 2014 at 7:20 PM
Haha, I hear you! Yeah this is why I rarely download lots. That and lots which have a CC list a million items long. No, thank you. I like to know what is in my downloads folder!

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Top Secret Researcher
#33 Old 5th Aug 2014 at 11:07 PM
I have all EPs and SPs (but not the Store Edition), so I could technically download 99% of all downloadable lots and it will work fine in my game. But I've only downloaded CC-free lots, since I actually have a "less-CC" policy in my game, so I don't go on another downloading spree and next thing I know my game takes 30 minutes to load.
Instructor
Original Poster
#34 Old 6th Aug 2014 at 9:01 PM
It's why i asked this stuff i was reading the guide lines and the other stuff and one thing it says is make sure to you know which expansions all the objects come from but yeh since i have UC it might load differently with just the CD versions, i imagine they probably got rid of some bugs or whatever in UC too. I will just say i got UC and explain what you guys have said but i've made a bunch of shots of the house so if someone wants to build it they can just copy the layout and then decotrate it themselves and they can see where i've put all the doors and windows properly don't want it to be a complete loss for those who can't use it. I know what you mean about the lots there is so much custom content in them it's why i build my own too but every now and then i think people will like what i've made, i see a lot of houses built really messy too, the layout is just all over the place and i'm a perfectionist when it comes to the layout really lol it's just like urgh... when i see them.
Page 2 of 2