Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Aug 2014 at 5:57 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Strangetown keeps crashing. Everything else works fine.
The title says it all, but of course there's a lot of explaining to do. I really hope I find a solution here, because I am at the end of my rope.

Alright.. Well.. it started when a friend of mine graciously donated me her old computer which runs faster thanks to a graphics card that she had installed. With my computer being... well.. old and kinda clunky, I decided that it was time to switch. It took a while, but I purchased a jump drive, copied the necessary back up files, and transferred them to aforementioned new computer. All seemed alright at first, but somewhere along the line I hit a power surge which knocked out all power in my room. Once the electrician fixed it all some days later, I found out that the new computer had suffered some kind of damage from the outage, and suddenly it became unusable. Down, but certainly not out, I decided to return to my old computer to resume play from there.

That turned out to be a problem in and of itself. When I went to the Stragetown file, there was nothing there except for a few thumbnail images. I didn't worry too much though, since I had the savedsims and all the files on the jumpdrive. It took a while, but I pasted the files of my 3 favorite hoods (Pleasantview, Strangetown, and a custom hood known as Roleplayersville) since my computer couldn't hold the entire 6 or 7 hoods. As soon as it finishes, I load the game for what I expect to be loads of fun. The games loading takes forever, but I'm both patient and used to that. I try Strangetown and it automatically crashed. Second time around.. same thing. At first I chocked it up to the entire game being messed up, but both Pleasantview AND the custom hood----with heavily CC laden sims----functioning. There are tons of files inside the neighborhood folder, and I've tried experimenting with some by removing them and THEN loading the game. One particular time, Strangetown didn't show up at all. The second time, the hood was labeled 'Pets' and had this weird image. I am not sure what other clues or details I could add, other than when I moved the neighborhood files from jumpdrive to old computer, there were little windows that asked if I wanted to merge files or to replace with a new file. My friend and I weren't sure which was right, so I merged them. Even so, I can't see what files may have been doubled what should be removed or deleted.

I'm sorry if this was lengthy. I also want to add that I am appreciative to all who take the time to read this or to even respond. Thank you so much!
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 27th Aug 2014 at 6:58 AM
Hmm...sounds like your strangetown save file got corrupted. If you still have your original backup somewhere you could try to see if you forgot to get some files. Otherwise delete N002 from your save files, go to C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\The Sims 2\TSData\Res\UserData\Neighborhoods and copy and paste the original N002 into your documents' neighborhood folder. It should be clean and untouched, and your other towns will stay the same. Aaaand, if that doesn't work, the game's program files files might have gotten messed up. In that case it's either reinstalling the whole thing or downloading a new neighborhood template of N002. Meetme2theriver has some great ones http://meetme2theriver.livejournal.com/63030.html . Hope I helped!
Field Researcher
#3 Old 27th Aug 2014 at 7:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by acrylicpainting
Aaaand, if that doesn't work, the game's program files files might have gotten messed up. In that case it's either reinstalling the whole thing or downloading a new neighborhood template of N002. Meetme2theriver has some great ones http://meetme2theriver.livejournal.com/63030.html . Hope I helped!
Although, if the program files have been corrupted, I recommend reinstalling instead of downloading a new template, because other files were probably affected.

I'm thinking all through the night
I could be yours just like before
Rewrite another try
'Cause we've had the loneliest time
Mad Poster
#4 Old 27th Aug 2014 at 2:55 PM
Every thing in "neighborhood folder" has to be in there for the hood to run otherwise you broke it.

1. take out C:\Users\(your computer name)\Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2 folder and place it on your desktop..
2. start up your game and it will recreate a new one.
3. check out your game and see if every thing is working.
4. Now take out the Neighborhoods in C:\Users\(your computer name)\Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2 and replace it with your save one.
5. since you have a heavy moded game you will need to put your Downloads first before you start up your game.
6. before you start up your game get this program and run it. Hood Checker http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=456523
let it fix what it finds then start up your game.

If this don't work then you will need to start over with Strangetown.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Mad Poster
#5 Old 27th Aug 2014 at 4:38 PM
Wait, you merged the files from your backup with the files that were already in your neighborhood folder on your computer? That's not the way to do it, and that's probably the source of your problem. First, delete all the files in your neighborhood folder on the computer. Then copy the backup into the now empty neighborhood folder.

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 28th Aug 2014 at 2:26 AM
*Update* I tried fiddling around with it, and it turns out that Sunbee was right on the money. I was JUST about to restart my Strangetown hood, but then I recalled that I had another backup disc located somewhere in my room. The most recent jump drive kept giving me problems, so with fingers crossed, I tore up my room and located it. There were older files (Back in April we were expected to get possible tornadic weather and so I did an emergency back-up in the off chance something were to happen to my home...again. *sigh* I hate the South sometimes). Anywho, this process of removing Strangetown and replacing it with the old copy worked like a charm. Not only did the town show up, but I was even able to play my favorite household... and to be on the safe side, I saved the file to a thousand different devices. Better safe than sorry!

Again, I thank you all from the bottom of my heart! I'll never do something so stupid ever again.