Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Jun 2012 at 12:11 AM
Default I failed 80% job chance cards 17 times in a row, and still counting. Oh dear
The chances of this are literally less than one in a hundred billion. I always picked the 80% success chance card, and I lost 17 times in a row. And this is me estimating the success rate very mildly; I also have the "better chance card chances" LTA benefit.

Please tell me I'm doing something wrong. I find it incredibly hard to believe that my luck is bad enough that I'm one in a hundred billion.

By the way, I'm also counting only one character's chance cards. I have another one, said character's father, who's already lost five in a row. But, you know what, I'm ignoring him for now.

edit

I stuck this in general discussion because I thought that this might just be a gameplay "feature" or thing I'm unfamiliar with. Also, because I like complaining. If this is actually a bug, sorry; I guess it should be in technical help.
Advertisement
Banned
#2 Old 24th Jun 2012 at 12:39 AM
I always ignore chance cards because they almost always ended up bad for me.
Forum Resident
#3 Old 24th Jun 2012 at 12:48 AM
I wonder if sometimes the chance card probability doesn't get broken somehow. I once did a Legacy in which all of my torchholders became Mayor. I saw that chance card about sea transport and trucks dozens of times. I always chose the seaport, and despite having the eighty percent right perk, seaports were NEVER the answer. My choosing the seaport became a running joke in the story thread I made for it at another forum...so much so that when I started another legacy, someone wanted to know what my new founding sim's attitude would be toward seaports.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#4 Old 24th Jun 2012 at 12:48 AM
The chance cards just go off percentages. You're having a run of bad luck.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Site Helper
#5 Old 24th Jun 2012 at 12:58 AM
I used to wonder if EA broke that perk, because my sim was right a lot more often before he took it.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Mad Poster
#6 Old 24th Jun 2012 at 12:59 AM
The thing about statistics is this: People don't intuitively grasp them. No matter how improbable something is, if it isn't impossible, in a large enough sample, it will happen. And only the anomalies will stick in your mind.

So even if you've calculated the odds correctly (and you probably haven't, if you haven't down actual math), given the huge number of samples of people choosing chance cards, what happened to you was bound to happen. You're just the one it happened to.

In San Antonio in summer, there is always a 20% chance of rain. But it never rains. Same deal.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Site Helper
#7 Old 24th Jun 2012 at 1:01 AM
I seem to remember seeing a bug fix for the 80% chance cards, which implies that the 80% chance cards are actually broken.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 24th Jun 2012 at 1:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
The thing about statistics is this: People don't intuitively grasp them. No matter how improbable something is, if it isn't impossible, in a large enough sample, it will happen. And only the anomalies will stick in your mind.

So even if you've calculated the odds correctly (and you probably haven't, if you haven't down actual math), given the huge number of samples of people choosing chance cards, what happened to you was bound to happen. You're just the one it happened to.

I'm a mathematics/statistics major. But you're mostly right; I'm just mad.

Invariant unconditional probability of 20% failure on chance cards given LTA benefits that guarantee 80% success rates. Failed 17 times in a row. Thus, 0.20^{17}=1.3\cdot10^{-12}, or 0.0000000013% chance of happening. Just over one in a hundred billion. So I exaggerated slightly. There are only 7 billion people on this planet. This should never have happened.
Alchemist
#9 Old 24th Jun 2012 at 4:09 AM
Perhaps you can spawn a Chance Card Tester, and choose the force outcome to clear (or success if you want a cheaty way and are fed up with the failure outcomes ). I don't really understand about the broken benefit, because I barely even get a failure outcome, and no, I don't use cheat. But this chance card only works for career chance cards, not for hobby nor tour chance cards. Unless, that's what you people meant by broken. I almost always fail in hobby chance card.
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 24th Jun 2012 at 5:55 AM
I normally have good luck with the LTA perk. Bianca Monty just got promoted to Captain Hero from one of those. Now she's flying with perma-plat. I never do it without the perk though. I always get fired.

Marebear<3333
Field Researcher
#11 Old 24th Jun 2012 at 11:31 AM
I usually pick the right answer - I did actually once find a guide which gave you all possible outcomes good and bad but that is on my old computer. Now I just pick what I would do.
Instructor
#12 Old 24th Jun 2012 at 2:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by poisonapple88
I normally have good luck with the LTA perk. Bianca Monty just got promoted to Captain Hero from one of those. Now she's flying with perma-plat. I never do it without the perk though. I always get fired.

Original poster already stated they have the LTA perk.

It may be broken by the looks of it, maybe google to see if there may be fixes if that is the case.

Love does not consist of two people looking at each other, but of looking together in the right direction. - Antoine de Exupery
Theorist
#13 Old 24th Jun 2012 at 4:03 PM
Well, that's weird. I always succeed at chance cards - I always pick the second one (if it's [A] [B] [Ignore], I choose B).

But, I always fail when it comes to Bon Voyage tour chance cards.

~DJ.
Top Secret Researcher
#14 Old 24th Jun 2012 at 5:10 PM
Sometimes I just have bad luck, and sometimes good luck.

For instance, my legacy foundress, Trina, had horrible luck. She was in the slacker career, but never got above Projectionist because she would always fail that chance card. That chance card always fired her. She only died platinum because her husband adored her and dated her constantly as an elder.

A few generations later, legacy heir Alec scored a lucky chance card at Rogue Botanist, which promoted him to Ecological Guru. For those who don't know, the R.B. position is at about level 4 or 5. He skipped about five job levels with that chance card.

Simblr.
Asks are always open, even to anons. I will always reply to asks, and I do my best to be cordial/less snarky than usual.
Undead Molten Llama
#15 Old 25th Jun 2012 at 11:02 PM
Are ya sure you don't have a hack that changes the percentages? I have one (Cyjon's maybe? I don't remember) that makes it so that all the outcomes are equally likely. I wanted it that way because after a while, I knew which option to pick that would usually guarantee success, which made chance cards far less chancy than they ought to be, IMO. (I love chance cards and the randomness they induce. Just when I think I've got a Sim all planned out, bam they get fired and, by my rules, that career is then closed to them which means a life path change for them!

If you don't have a hack...Yeah, that's quite a run of bad luck you've got going there! But, that's probability for you. Maybe you should buy some lottery tickets, since you seem to running into a situation of one-in-a-billion odds. Your Sim's bad luck might translate into good luck for you.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#16 Old 25th Jun 2012 at 11:23 PM
Could be that both options have skill requirements for the positive outcome, especially if it's a custom career. I don't know if the skill requirements are absolute, but even if they just weight things differently it could make a difference.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Inventor
#17 Old 25th Jun 2012 at 11:32 PM
I like it when chance cards fail, it makes the game more interesting. Rather than "So and so did this, succeeded, and are awarded with so much money, they couldn't possibly spend it all".

Sometimes I like it when my snobby rich sims have to pay lots of fines, or lose their jobs over some ridiculous mishap or because they thought streaking was a better way to liven up a dull party.

Although, for some reason I always fail the culinary chance cards. I've only ever had 1 sim reach level 10 with that job. It's always "So & so got demoted to fast food manager!" -.-
Test Subject
#18 Old 4th Aug 2014 at 5:47 PM
I think, although I'm not positive, this is just something I've noticed in my game and have gone with it, that when you have that LTA of 80% sucess rate, you have to answer the chance card quickly. It says something in it about your sims gut instinct, and I've noticed that when I have that LTA if I answer the chance card quickly, then it's usually right, but if I answer after taking the time to think abou it, it's more often wrong. I don't know. Just a theory.
Field Researcher
#19 Old 4th Aug 2014 at 6:27 PM
Sandalaris - I think it's coinsidential. Lol.

I've noticed though that some of my sims tend to be luckier than others. Some gets a chance card almost everytime they go to work, whereas others can get to the top of 2 carreers without a single chance card. Some almost always gets them right, and some almost always gets it wrong. Some always burns food in spite of max cooking skill and some hardly ever burns food in spite of low cooking skills. Maybe there are some 'hidden' things that are randomized when creating a sim?

I 'unno. Don't care either! I like that the gameplay is different for each sim, even if I make them the same.
Mad Poster
#20 Old 5th Aug 2014 at 4:00 AM
Mad Poster
#21 Old 5th Aug 2014 at 4:15 AM
Since no one else has asked, I assume it's probably not the case, but are you using a premade family?
Some of them I know have predestined events when you first open them- Mary-Sue Pleasant, for instance, will always lose the chance card that she'll get the first day you play the Pleasant family, so that she'll (in theory) be sent home and catch Daniel en flagrante delicto with the maid. For these kinds of preestablished situations, even with the 80% success reward, I think you'll still always end up with a failure...

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Mad Poster
#22 Old 5th Aug 2014 at 7:40 AM
Field Researcher
#23 Old 5th Aug 2014 at 9:58 AM
This thread is from 2012. Ahem.
Locked thread | Locked by: Nysha Reason: AAAARIIIIIIIIISE! (No don't)