Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Oct 2014 at 9:28 AM
Default Import complete sim into blender
Hello there,
I am working on a tutorial to import a complete sim into blender and with the new Blender 3D 2.6 GEOM plugin the process should actually be doable (and not a complete hassle :-).
OF course, I am talking about a complete sim. I don't think importing a *sim file directly is a valid approach, but in the end, it conatins the following data:
  • Mesh of the rig
  • All skins (face, body, etc. + normals and specular if applicable)
  • Bones, of course
  • Clothing meshes
  • Clothing textures
  • Not really all the extras like earrings etc, as they seem to be a lot of manual work.
  • And last but not least, an animation
So I think you can easily see where this goes: Having a complete sim available in blender for editing.
That all would not be possible without all these little helpers out there (import / export plugins, normals correction etc.).

So befor I miss something, I just wanted to shout the question out and see, if I am taking a completely wrong approach or even missing something crucial.

How do you import sims into blender?

(And seriously, I would not be shocked if there will be no answers, as this might not have been done before, as most production flows invovle multiple stages with different editors :-)

Thanks you all for the great inspirations so far and
have a great day!
Xan-Kun
Advertisement
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#2 Old 31st Oct 2014 at 10:24 PM
Depends on what you mean. It's fairly simple to import the base meshes for the head and your choice of top, bottom, shoes, and hair if you want a generic unmorphed sim model.

If you want a mesh of a particular sim (which is what your question seems like) with all the morphs that give it its individual appearance, there's no way I know of to do that. The question comes up every so often. 😀

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Visit my blogs for other Sims content:
Online Sims - general mods for Sims 3
Offline Sims - adult mods for Sims 3 and Sims 4
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 31st Oct 2014 at 11:48 PM Last edited by ClarkDavis : 1st Nov 2014 at 9:35 PM.
Thanks for the answer! It's really good to get a confirmation from Cmar herself (was the NYC there all the time? ;-) ) I think I read nearly everything you posted. Same goes for Bloom and cmomoney

BTW, do you personally use blender?
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#4 Old 1st Nov 2014 at 7:16 PM
Personally Blender makes my head explode. If I used it more maybe I'd like it but I just find the interface very difficult. It's very powerful so I do use it occasionally.

BTW I'm a she.

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Visit my blogs for other Sims content:
Online Sims - general mods for Sims 3
Offline Sims - adult mods for Sims 3 and Sims 4
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 1st Nov 2014 at 9:34 PM
Hi Cmar, no offense was intended on my side, I don't really give a lot about the gender concept but I will adress you (or to be grammatically more precise "refer to you") in the female form from now on, if that is ok for you :-)

I consider myself lucky, as I started out with blender and after that learned to know a couple of other tools. Most of them are OKish, but for me, Milkshape is a make-the-head-exploder.
I think that is a funny coincidence :-)

I love to make virtual fire and it's really fun with blender. (See attachment)
Attached files:
File Type: zip  xx_Ztrans_surface.zip (7.40 MB, 378 downloads) - View custom content
Description: Non-existing Sphere catching fire from bottom, first burning outside, then filling the inside too