Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Feb 2005 at 3:10 AM Last edited by jgwhiteus : 4th Feb 2005 at 3:16 AM.
Default Making Visible Ceilings Based Off Of Ceiling Lights?
I've seen a lot of requests for visible ceilings (as it's pretty annoying to see the night sky when you're filming a movie that's supposed to take place indoors). My question is: now that we can import new meshes into the game, would it be possible to make a visible ceiling by creating a simple flat square tile object (only a few pixels thick and covering the entire tile) and basing it off of a ceiling light? Ceiling lights should almost always be visible in regular and camera-man mode; so if you covered an entire ceiling with these tiles (which would be treated as lights), they should be visible as well and would "conceal" the upper floors if you looked up in camera-man mode. Also, you would have the option to recolor them with textures of your choice.

If you wanted to hide the ceiling (as these tiles would block your view of the floor in top-down view), you could just use something like simlogical's Invisible Light controller to turn the ceiling visibility on and off (since the base would be an actual ceiling light).

I know this isn't the most perfect solution, as it'd probably be a pain to place all those individual ceiling tiles without a drag-and-click option, and it might make the game slow down a bit to add that many individual objects. Also, you might not be able to place actual ceiling lights anymore (unless you made it possible to place two obejcts on the same tile with move_objects on or some other means). However, it might be a nice short-term solution for individual rooms you want to film in. So, is this possible? Sorry if this has already been discussed; I searched and couldn't find anything on visible ceilings being possible.

J.

P.S. Also, sorry to the moderator if this is in the wrong forum; I thought this might possibly go in the "New Mesh Request" thread, but figured this was more of a modding question.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#2 Old 4th Feb 2005 at 1:23 PM
Okay, I made a very imperfect beta test object and placed it in the beta testers forum. If anybody has any solutions for the problems I listed (lighting, textures, placing two objects on a tile, etc.), please let me know.

http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=42789