Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Mar 2008 at 6:51 AM
Default Object-placing Idea
This idea got to me when I was looking at the picture here;
http://www.snootysims.com/thesims3/gfwscan01.jpg

The idea I am having involves the typical sqaure. As you know. in the sims 2, only one object is allowed in a sqaure of certain type (ceiling-hung, wall, floor, and table), unless cheats are used (moveobjects and the one where you can put stuff off the grid). However, as seen in the picture given, there are plenty of objects sharing space, including the book on the end table with the lamp. Now, this could be cheated. But why would they show what you could do with complex cheats?

That's when I remember how in OFB, there were those shelves and shelf-like objects in which multiple objects can be placed on it. What if this feature were expanded to all surfaces?
Advertisement
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#2 Old 16th Mar 2008 at 11:26 AM
That really doesn't look like they used any particular cheats or anything to do it... They likely have just added additional slots to objects like end tables to allow placement like that, just as it looks like they added additional slots to the coffee table to allow placement of 4 objects along the center. We'll likely still need stuff like OMSPs to truly allow us to put things where we want them.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Original Poster
#3 Old 16th Mar 2008 at 8:46 PM
OMSP? whats that?

BTW, new theory; smaller sqaures? http://www.snootysims.com/thesims3index.php?id=compare shows it better.
#4 Old 16th Mar 2008 at 10:18 PM
I think smaller grid squares are a great idea. I don't agree with the majority of people who want the grid gone; it helps me greatly to place things. But it would be nice if we had more control with placing furniture, so smaller grid squares seems like a blessing.
retired moderator
#5 Old 16th Mar 2008 at 10:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Neema
OMSP? whats that?

http://www.modthesims2.com/download...ername=&csort=0

Formerly known as boolPropped
Original Poster
#6 Old 16th Mar 2008 at 10:39 PM
Thanks BP! And yes, smaller grids seem great. Also, if you look at the picture with the woman standing up and in the top left corner it says "Hey, I peed!" or something like that, you can see that the floor lamp is almost touching a chair.
Instructor
#7 Old 16th Mar 2008 at 10:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Neema
OMSP? whats that?

BTW, new theory; smaller sqaures? http://www.snootysims.com/thesims3index.php?id=compare shows it better.

Those comparisons look really good, you can really see the improvements. I didn't realise Sims 2 plant life and trees look so poor
Alchemist
#8 Old 16th Mar 2008 at 11:13 PM
lol, who took the time to re-create the images?! That's too funny!
Mad Poster
#9 Old 17th Mar 2008 at 2:11 AM
Snooty did, I think.
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 18th Mar 2008 at 5:37 PM
Smaller grids would be very nice! But I don't want the grids to dissapear because if that would be you could'nt put things in a straight line and it would be ugly and messy.
And I love the new trees and lightning! :agree:
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#11 Old 18th Mar 2008 at 5:42 PM
I wouldn't jump to believe that all of the screenshots we're getting (especially those lovely ones with the lighting on the floor) are actually representative of what Sims 3 will be like. Many of the prerelease Sims 2 shots were renders, not done in the game engine itself whatsoever.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
#12 Old 18th Mar 2008 at 8:16 PM
true, those screenshots look a little to well done. i think thats more of what there trying for then what it really looks like.
Original Poster
#13 Old 18th Mar 2008 at 9:00 PM
You break my heart HP. HP caused 90 damage to my HP. *falls over*
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 19th Mar 2008 at 4:49 AM
Even with snapobjectstogrid false you can only place down objects hortizonality, it would be good if you could place objects also vertical.
Original Poster
#15 Old 19th Mar 2008 at 4:50 AM
yeah, hopefully they will