Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Jul 2016 at 4:24 AM
Default Downloaded content showing up in game but the files are not in mods or downloads folder
Hello. I was wondering if someone could tell me which cache files and such are ok to delete because I have nothing in my mods folder or downloads folder yet there is clothing appearing that I would like to be gone! I've looked through all the sims3 folders and couldn't find anything that would possibly be generating these clothes except maybe there's a file I don't know about that could possibly have them stored on it?? Please someone help this is so annoying!
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 26th Jul 2016 at 7:41 AM
The Downloads folder is just read by the Launcher to install your Sims3packs, so it won't affect your game, per se.

But back to your issue, you can try deleting your cache files:
CasPartCache.package
compositorCache.package
simCompositorCache.package
scriptCache.package
socialCache.package

If that doesn't change anything and you don't have CC in your Mods folder, then did you install some Sims? It may very well be possible that the CC you see came with a Sim.

Do you see a shopping bag icon or a folder icon with the CC?

Shopping bag means it was installed via the Launcher.
So you may have to look in your list of Installed content in the Launcher, see if it's there.

Folder icon means it was attached to the '.sim' file you had to place in SavedSims. If you have S3PE, you'll have to open the .sim files and see if you see any CASP.
To get rid of the piece of CC, you'll have delete the Sim or you have to "detach" the CC from the Sim if you really want to keep it (by deleting the files that belong to the piece of CC in S3PE, which could be a bit more tedious).
Top Secret Researcher
#3 Old 26th Jul 2016 at 2:28 PM Last edited by barbarat : 26th Jul 2016 at 2:33 PM. Reason: Added Notation For 1.69
A word of caution on deleting CCache files. Deleting an entire file within the DCCache folder will remove all custom content within that file. There are a few ways to view items in those files. See Crinricts' How To Get Rid Of Unwanted Custom Contene.

I have tons of custom content in DCCache. Rather than converting the 3packs I use the Method By Mel detailed on the page.
It's tedious but once you get the hang of it, the process doesn't take all that long.

Not sure if anyone else has this problem but my items in buy/build (in the .dbc files) all show up with that shopping bag. I have no idea why and it is not causing problems with my game so I just left it alone.

Another way to manage custom content in 3pack format is by using Kuree's EasyCASP Editor . It does not delete the files but hides them in CAS and when unticking allow random those items will not be pulled up by the game.

Edit: I should have mentioned if you are on Patch 1.69:
That patch prevents the "Save Cleaner" and "Easy CASP Editor" programs by Kuree from working with the game
Test Subject
#4 Old 26th Jul 2016 at 6:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by NatashaRobison
Hello. I was wondering if someone could tell me which cache files and such are ok to delete because I have nothing in my mods folder or downloads folder yet there is clothing appearing that I would like to be gone! I've looked through all the sims3 folders and couldn't find anything that would possibly be generating these clothes except maybe there's a file I don't know about that could possibly have them stored on it?? Please someone help this is so annoying!

I was just about to ask this question as well. Some of the clothes and furniture i used to have in my mods folder all the items have a folder beside them
Instructor
#5 Old 26th Jul 2016 at 7:46 PM
@barbarat
About that shopping bag icon, as I said above, it's only an indication about how you installed your content.
As long as the content was installed via the Launcher, you'll see that shopping bag icon.

It's absolutely normal and actually, a good way to ditinguish between Store Content and third party content if you decide to only install Store Content with the Launcher and all the rest, you keep as packages. :)
Top Secret Researcher
#6 Old 26th Jul 2016 at 8:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Blyss
@barbarat
About that shopping bag icon, as I said above, it's only an indication about how you installed your content.
As long as the content was installed via the Launcher, you'll see that shopping bag icon.

It's absolutely normal and actually, a good way to ditinguish between Store Content and third party content if you decide to only install Store Content with the Launcher and all the rest, you keep as packages.

Thank you Blyss for clarifying that. All these years I figured it was just the Launcher screwing up but by the size and number of .dbc files I knew the stuff was in there.

Again, many thanks and my apologies for the confusion.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 27th Jul 2016 at 1:58 AM
Well thank you for your helpful posts. In case you were wondering I did discover the issue. I forgot to mention they were package files. So I followed the advice on Crinricts' How To Get Rid Of Unwanted Custom Content. I moved my savedsims folder out and deleted cache files first. I went back to game and the damn clothing was still there. So then I moved my mods folder out even though there was absolutely no package folders in there to begin with and deleted cache again. I go back to the game and the clothing is gone! I put my savedsims and mods folder back into sims 3 folder and of course when I go back to game the clothing is there again. So now I know it's the mods folder. I remembered when I first downloaded the framework off of here there was not a cache folder in it. So I just deleted that folder and went back into the game and the clothing was still gone now even with savedsims and mods folder back in sims 3 folder! I'm so glad that wasn't too terribly difficult to figure out and I hope maybe it will save someone else from that headache of unwanted clothing not going away!
Top Secret Researcher
#8 Old 27th Jul 2016 at 3:47 AM
Good for you NatashaRobinson. Glad to hear Crinrict's advice worked for you and thanks for sharing how you worked through it. I'm sure others will find that helpful.