Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th Oct 2010 at 8:22 PM
How long did it take for your 'new game' excitment to wear off, and you thought of LN wasn't as great?
I know its still fairly early, but Im kind of curious how long it will take for some people to find the game "alright". Of course, opinions are different, so you may think the game is pure awesome for a long time. I'm started to think of getting the game on impulse, but I dont just want to pay the price now and end up playing for 5 hours just to try the new breast slider, bar drinks, and to dance on the tables. xP

So, did your fresh new game excitment died down yet? How long have you had the game? Did your opinion on it change since the beginning?
Advertisement
Theorist
#2 Old 29th Oct 2010 at 8:40 PM
The game has been out for 3ish days (got mine Wednesday), out of all the present EPs this one is the best for your money, not to say that the other aren't great but this one is one that you will use more often most likely. There is a LOT of clothing and shoes for males and females,much more then any EP or SP so far (plus it's all normal clothing that you could use all the time).The instruments are cool, provides lots more things for your virtuoso sim to do, plus bands are fun to play. There are many other good objects (Sectional sofas!) As for clubs they are a good feature, provides something for your sim to do outside of work and it's a good way to meet new sims.

So even though it is early the "new game excitement" hasn't worn off, eventually I'll go back to playing suburban RV or SV but this EP has a lot to offer, definitely recommended

Hi I'm Paul!
Test Subject
#3 Old 29th Oct 2010 at 8:44 PM
Considering how its a "first" for our sims to live in a urban environment than suburban; this EP is definitely more remarkable than previous attempts. Just my opinion.
Forum Resident
#4 Old 29th Oct 2010 at 8:54 PM
lol - It wore off for me faster than I'd expected. I'd already seen all the 'new' stuff online, so after I installed the ep I didn't bother seeking out that many 'new' things and went straight for trying to play in the new 'hood. Bleh. Then it crashed on me in CAS while I was trying to make a character not as boring sounding as the pre-loaded ones.

I'll USE the ep a ton, I'm glad I have it - but I doubt I'll ever really play in Bridgeport or do the Bar/Celebrity mini games. I just don't care and it seems complicated. But everything adds a great touch that I'll definitely be using in the maps that I DO play.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 29th Oct 2010 at 11:21 PM
It wore off pretty quickly for me. I got it the day it came out and spent like 6 hours playing... i think it had worn off after those first 6 hours. I don't regret buying it because it has added stuff to the game. But I am frustrated with the apartments. I was hoping for something more like in TS2. The city is rather empty of people... even when my sim found a "hot spot" for that night there were only 2 people there. o.O
I am annoyed I can't easily put in some community lots into my existing games in other towns. Especially the film studio. there is nowhere large enough to place this lot and it would take a major rework of my city to fit in an empty 64x64 lot to set it down.
I am also disappointed in the platform tool... I was again hoping for something the same size/height as from TS2. i build a lot and wanted to be able to easily make stairs with landings and such.

I have not played all the aspects of it yet and made any Sims into big celebs to see if they get stalked by paparazzi and asked for autographs, but when i heard about those things I was looking forward to playing them out with existing families. So maybe in a bit when i can explore those aspects more with the sims I already love I'll find my excitement for the new EP again.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 29th Oct 2010 at 11:53 PM
I really don't understand you guys who says " Iexpected it to be like in sims 2 " Seriously, it was said from the start, that isn't an appartment EP.
And how would you be disappointed about stuff that were already said to not be in it/not being what you thought. Did you read about Late night before buying it ?
I'm sad for you to already be bored about the game. I'm going back to it now.

Take in consideration that I'm french and I try my best to write an understandable english :)

[ booboolalaland ] [ goodieslalaland ]
Field Researcher
#7 Old 30th Oct 2010 at 12:22 AM
*raises hand* Too many things EA just got reeeaaalllly lazy on.

The future is bulletproof,
The aftermath is secondary,
It's time to do it now and do it loud,
Killjoys, make some noise!
Test Subject
#8 Old 30th Oct 2010 at 1:07 AM
Im kinda disappointed by the bars. when they close sims stand around the elevator bitching and moaning because theyre hungry and tired and need to pee. then it will take about 3 hours just to get out of the damn place while they all wait for the elevator. in the meantime its a huge peeing contest.
i also have the problem other people have been having with hotspots being pretty much empty. some nights theyre packed, others not so much.

i still like the game though, i have yet to transform my sim into a vampire and make aa 5star celeb.
Scholar
Original Poster
#9 Old 30th Oct 2010 at 1:15 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Bij0ux
I really don't understand you guys who says " Iexpected it to be like in sims 2 " Seriously, it was said from the start, that isn't an appartment EP.
And how would you be disappointed about stuff that were already said to not be in it/not being what you thought. Did you read about Late night before buying it ?

Not everyone is going to fully review a game before buying it. I've bought Sims 1 + expansions till mid Sims 2 + expansions by just what I read on the back of the box or on their official site.

I guess some compare back to TS2 because if TS2 already had the same thing, it means EA is capable of programming it back into TS3. And if its not in TS3, its like they left it out for who knows why (For example, having one family in a high rise) But its bound to be compared, just like movies and their sequels..
Instructor
#10 Old 30th Oct 2010 at 1:22 AM
After all this time charmander, they still make very flawed lots.

The "elevator crowd" would be a lesser issue if lots had more that one elevator and if it did not moved very, very slow.

Also I think the issue with the deserted clubs is caused by them being "exclusive" clubs instead of having a VIP area so non-celebrity Sims cannot even go in, so you have Aquarius that is a huge club that is pretty much always empty.

The ideas are good but in a neighborhood with maybe 60 sims you dont need 6 clubs, they simply continue to not know how to design functional neighborhoods.

Edit:

Quote: Originally posted by lazzybum
I guess some compare back to TS2 because if TS2 already had the same thing, it means EA is capable of programming it back into TS3.

No, it means they duplicated the feature but TS3 DOES NOT use the same programing language as TS2.

Its a new engine and a new coding system, TS1-2 use SimAntics as programing language as TS3 uses MSIL and C#.

Different beasts.
Test Subject
#11 Old 30th Oct 2010 at 1:34 AM
As soon as I realized all my mods no longer work because they haven't been updated....
Scholar
Original Poster
#12 Old 30th Oct 2010 at 1:46 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Drakron

No, it means they duplicated the feature but TS3 DOES NOT use the same programing language as TS2.

Its a new engine and a new coding system, TS1-2 use SimAntics as programing language as TS3 uses MSIL and C#.

Different beasts.

Yes yes, the programming is different and technology has changed since the last 2. But that doesnt mean its impossible to dupilicate most, if not all, the features right? They already duplicated alot, so some that weren't duplicated that we thought were common sense to keep is like (again like multiple household tenants for apartments)
Sorry, I drifted off the topic :B
Field Researcher
#13 Old 30th Oct 2010 at 2:09 AM
Well, when I saw the first trailer that came up, I was alone at home, and literally stood up, waved my hands around in the air and yelled HOLY SHIT for about 2 minutes, and thought it was the best thing in the universe. But, throughout that time, I bought the Orange Box instead because I really wanted it. I would go to the forums EVERY day and check up on how Late Night's doing. But now the time came, the game is out, (I don't even have it, imagine that :S) and I don't really want it anymore. Maybe I'll get it in a month, but now I don't even play the Sims as much as I used to.

"I've been really busy being dead. You know, after you murdered me. But I think we can put our differences behind us. For science. you monster"

-GLaDOS
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 30th Oct 2010 at 2:14 AM
Duplicate old features in a new engine? It's not hard if they are lazy enough. But it's EA anyway.

I got it yesterday too, I did not went into a real gameplay, usually I enter the game, check out new stuff play here and there but not full.
I will be doing so this weekend, but somehow I am still excited with the expansion, when Ambitions wasn't out I was very VERY excited but when it came it all went away after few hours playing.

But I think things are going to change, this EP have many things I LOVE, clubs, night life, DANCE, DANCE and DANCE.
My little Sim's foots are going to hurt cuz I will make them dance all night long. Ha-ha!
For it all be complete? Pets and Weather. *-*

“One small step for man, one blocked path for sim-kind.” - awtmk@blogspot | S-Club Privée
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 30th Oct 2010 at 2:46 AM

I was not meaning they should totally duplicate old features. But there were apartments in TS2 so one would guess if they introduced apartment style living in the next game which is supposed to be better and a total improvement on the last game that those carried over elements would also be better. I don't consider an totally empty high rise with only one resident a step forward from what the game had already done with apartments... i actually see it as a step back. I don't even care if i could play only one family, but at least have some neighbors in the building. I did read about the EP and nowhere that i saw did they mention it would be an empty high rise with one tenant in the whole building. Maybe i didn't read carefully enough. What ever.
People all the time would compare TS1 to TS2 and the EPs that came out for TS2... it's just a normal thing that will happen when there are sequels to games and things. And we can all have our own opinions... no need for you to feel sad for any one.
Test Subject
#16 Old 30th Oct 2010 at 2:47 AM
I wasn't overly excited for it, but bought it because I have the other expansions, so why not, right? But honestly, I think it's a better expansion than the other two, because I got sick of doing the same damn adventures, and having jobs where you goto work with them is kind of irritating if you have people at home you have to watch over..

But they did really well with the clothes this time. Usually I hate the new outfits and go back to my CC.. But I like them. And it's fun trying to be a celebrity. Mine's at four stars, and I made her woohoo in the elevator just to see what would happen.. She got publicly humiliated and sued the paparazzi. Haha. So I'm actually enjoying it a lot. Trying not to overplay it, because that kills any new game or expansion that comes out.

Honestly, I am irritated at the fact that you can only have one family (and even then it's not even a real family. How can you have a couple, and some kids in a one bedroom/loft/studio apartment?) in an apartment, and most of the time they either have one or no neighbours. And there aren't very many affordable houses either. You have your first buy houses, and apartments, and then it goes straight up to the expensive ones. But I'm sure they'll figure it out eventually. EA does like to have their stuff ups. At least it isn't as buggy as the other expansions were when they were released. =]
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 30th Oct 2010 at 5:32 AM
Dizzysims: Hmm.. first I'm not sure about what you said, I didnt understand why you said " And we can all have our own opinions... no need for you to feel sad for any one."
I'm sorry that you don't enjoy it as much as you think you would, isn't this nice of me or is it a bad thing ? Anyways, I saw it as something bad in your response.
And second, Yes people will compare, but the main thing is that this EP wasn't all about appartments, to me they just wanted it to be more "Full experience" of urban life. And I guess they will incorporate more options later. But maybe because I do not want to visit my neighbors appartment ( because of the waste of loading, space etc.. IMO ) I can't understand you, I'm really not neutral here but I'm still thinking the appartment options wasn't to improve on what TS2 was, it was more for the gameplay in an urban city.

Take in consideration that I'm french and I try my best to write an understandable english :)

[ booboolalaland ] [ goodieslalaland ]
Field Researcher
#18 Old 30th Oct 2010 at 1:45 PM
I still like it but I think in general I'm not into The Sims that much anymore, I went through that same phase a few years ago back when TS2 came out and I took a four year vacation from it.
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 30th Oct 2010 at 3:20 PM
Dizzysims: Hmm.. first I'm not sure about what you said, I didnt understand why you said " And we can all have our own opinions... no need for you to feel sad for any one."
I'm sorry that you don't enjoy it as much as you think you would, isn't this nice of me or is it a bad thing ? Anyways, I saw it as something bad in your response.
And second, Yes people will compare, but the main thing is that this EP wasn't all about appartments, to me they just wanted it to be more "Full experience" of urban life. And I guess they will incorporate more options later. But maybe because I do not want to visit my neighbors appartment ( because of the waste of loading, space etc.. IMO ) I can't understand you, I'm really not neutral here but I'm still thinking the appartment options wasn't to improve on what TS2 was, it was more for the gameplay in an urban city.

I agree, this was not an apartment life expansion it was the night life expansion and it has given us so much needed night life esque themes, granted the bowling areas are missed and so are the restaurants and the attraction feature but what we've gained is just as significant and fun, if we had the exact same expansion with all the exact same features we'd get bored and demand they give us new features.
Also Bijoux was being genuine when she said she was sad for you Dizzysims she thinks its sad that you've paid money for some thing yet you don't enjoy it.
Scholar
#20 Old 30th Oct 2010 at 3:36 PM Last edited by suzetter : 30th Oct 2010 at 3:55 PM.
Bijoix - Why disect DizzySims opinion? You may not agree with it but you have to accept it as her opinion. Besides DizzySims never said they expected apts to be like TS2. DizzySims was only commenting on the platform tool which actually is a reasonable expectation as little has changed in the height of sims, walls, and objects.

LostinShallot - While it may not have been Bijoux's intention -- that "sad" comment seemed a tad condescending. Just the sort of passive agreesive posting that is so popular with 12s at the EA site. So I can understand DizzySims response. And again, DizzySims never said she wanted it to be TS2 so I don't really understand the basis for your or Bijoux counter comments to DizzySims. Why reprimand (however passively aggressive) someone over something they didn't say?
-------------

I've had Late Night since it came out Tuesday and my feelings about it are mixed.

I like the apartments (especially after I expand them and change the floor plan) and I'm not one to visit the neighbors much so the isolation works for me. However, I am hoping to change the apts from studios to 1, 2, or 3 bedrooms so I can accommodate more of my sims living in apts in town and also add a butler or two to apt living. The city looks good and some parts look spooky at night which I like though it takes some doing to get a sim walking anywhere (see transportation below).

I like the dance clubs, lounges, and dive bars though I wish they were more congested. I've never seen more than 3 or 4 Sims in a place at any one time (Bouncers and bartenders not included). I've even had sims get the "this joint is jumping" msg when they walk into a empty venue so there is no real system for what's hot and what's not in Late Night. I intend to put a lot more of my created Sims into the town and I'm hoping that adding 20-30 more YA and Adult Sims will make the nightspots more crowded. Still, the places look good, I like the bouncer/ bartenders and also that sims can order bar food so they don't have to run home if they get peckish. I've only ever seen the food truck once so far. It was parked by the art museum late one night and my sim was exhausted so I didn't try it out yet. Also, I like that the drinks all look different and some do have a visible effect on the Sims.

Vampires abound in Bridgeport (more than half the bartenders and bouncers are Simpires) and I haven't played them yet but they pop up everywhere - on the street, at parties, in clubs, on the back lot, etc. While their skin looks somewhat ashen almost all my simpires are very dark skinned. Makes it harder to pick them out in a group of people but you do get a hunted icon and also their image box is circled in dark magenta in the relationships panel. I'm going to try one to see how it is but vamps aren't really my thing.

BUt performers are very much my thing and I am very unhappy about the acting and directing careers being all RH except for handing out a half dozen flyers. When they do an outside job it is at an RH other than the back lot (theater or restaurant etc). When EA talked about shooting b roll footage I tgot the impression that meant the Sims would be doing this somewhere we could see them--have a few scenes to act out or direct. But it didn't. We get nada to watch in these two new careers and since they are "performing" careers -- I can only view this as a missed opportunity for some seriously fun and creative animation and characterization on EA's part. Really, in this film career aspect LN gives us absolutely nothing. A criminal omission.

Transportation is a mess that I can only credit to laziness on EA's part. It all works but it is so senseless. Sims start off with an old Jalopy in their inventory (why??) but a car still comes to get them for work and take them home after (again, why???). The subway sytem is there and working but playing second fiddle. The sims use the subway system but not consistently and often without rhyme or reason. Example: Celebrity sim has stretch limo 24/7. They are invited to a party one evening --they take the limo home and get ready for party. Time comes to leave for party the Sim (wearing formal wear) gets into the limo. The limo drives to a subway station where the Sim then gets out (in ball gown, jewels, and tiara) and takes the subway to another station where they they then get out and get back into the limo which drives them the rest of the way to the party. WTF!?!? Crazy right? Either walk and take the subway or take the limo the entire way. Sims also jump into cabs everyw here--even for short distances. You need to babysit them every step of the way to get them to walk anywhere. Which I did so I could check out the town from a Sim perspective. Town looks good wish the sims would walk automatically and only take car or train when player directed rather than the other way around. Also, when you tell a Sim to go somewhere and select walk --there is the chance (it has happened to me several times now) they will walk only to the nearest subway station and get on the train. I wish someone would come out with a mod that causes the sims to automatically walk everywhere unless otherwise directed by the player.

The astrology signs might have some effect because you get messages that says two sims are compatible or a sim will get a wish to meet someone with a sign that's compatible or they'll want to know what sign someone is, etc. Compatible signs seem to hit it off right away.

The new clothes and hair are 50% good and bad.

So that's what I think about LN so far.

It's Life...there are no rules.
You can see more of my creations at www.customsims3.com
Lab Assistant
#21 Old 31st Oct 2010 at 2:06 AM
Quote: Originally posted by DizzySim
It wore off pretty quickly for me. I got it the day it came out and spent like 6 hours playing... i think it had worn off after those first 6 hours. I don't regret buying it because it has added stuff to the game. But I am frustrated with the apartments. I was hoping for something more like in TS2. The city is rather empty of people... even when my sim found a "hot spot" for that night there were only 2 people there. o.O
I am also disappointed in the platform tool... I was again hoping for something the same size/height as from TS2. i build a lot and wanted to be able to easily make stairs with landings and such.

Um DizzySim did, I don't think anyones attacking anyone opinion. I simply don't believe the point in comparing it to some thing it never said it was meant to be, but it really doesn't matter I personally am disappointed in Late Night but for my own reasons. DizzySim is disappointed in it for her own reasons and Bijoux isn't disappointed in Late Night. Its interesting to see the varying opinions of everyone even if we don't agree with them.
Space Pony
#22 Old 31st Oct 2010 at 2:12 AM
Stilllll excited :D
Field Researcher
#23 Old 31st Oct 2010 at 2:21 AM
I still love it. It changed gameplay for me a *lot*.

But then again, I'm very easily amused.

And I tried not to read the endless hashing and rehashing of the EP before it was released, so I had no expectations to be dashed.
And it was fun to discover all of the new features for myself.
Lab Assistant
#24 Old 31st Oct 2010 at 6:08 PM
im getting it today! soo excited! i was extremely disappointed in ambitions so this one better be good... OR ELSE! *takes out axe and walks toward EA games's CPO s*
Test Subject
#25 Old 31st Oct 2010 at 8:04 PM
It took me about one hour of play to decide that LN sucks. The game is so jerky that it is no fun to play.

All the other EP's run smooth, LN sucks.
Page 1 of 2