Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
#26 Old 14th Mar 2011 at 5:17 PM
Stephan Nance, Ludo and Explosions in the Sky.

And Jason Mraz, MCR and Muse, but they're a bit more on the popular side
Advertisement
Test Subject
#27 Old 22nd Mar 2011 at 12:36 AM
I'm obsessed with Bear in Heaven right now, they're weird and psychedelic but its not everyones cup of tea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtH9MWGaAKw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SHISaFKXXY
Lab Assistant
#28 Old 11th Jan 2012 at 7:37 PM
I listen to a lot of Kpop and Jrock that may be "Unique" music since not to many ppl know what it is.. xD

�Hanna. Come over to the J-rock side, we have men looking like women.
Proud Cafekko, ELF, ShaWol and S♥NE x3
Scholar
#29 Old 12th Feb 2012 at 6:59 AM
Dream Theater, Dragonforce, Black Sabbath
Field Researcher
#30 Old 15th Feb 2012 at 8:46 AM
Anything by Dead can Dance
All Joy Division but Atmosphere gives me chills every time I hear it
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#31 Old 15th Feb 2012 at 8:50 AM
*high-fives opiumgirl for liking DCD*

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Theorist
#32 Old 15th Feb 2012 at 10:38 AM
I like a (I think) Ukrainian band called (I think) Los Colorados. Whatever they call themselves, polka rock can be sort of awesome. Zee Avi used to be more fringe, when she was just doing YouTube stuff, but I guess she has an album and everything now. I used to have, but now don't and have been searching for without success, a great album by a band that called themselves the Nudes (who aren't another band called the Nudes) that featured another guy I've been known to listen to that no one's heard of, Walter Parks. I keep waiting for a Portuguese singer who calls herself Ana Free to improve and be worthy of acclaim because I think she has talent, but for a while now I think she's basically been taking her music to a pop-y, soft rock, terrible place that's probably going to do well in Europe even as much as I despise it. Basically, with some notable exceptions (hello Madonna and Britney Spears, how did you find your way into my play lists?) I'm guessing that all or most of my music is going to be off the beaten path if your metric is Lady Gaga. I listen to a lot of music, but I can honestly say with the exception of covers and Pokerface I've not even listened to Lady Gaga. Or maybe I have and it didn't register because I didn't like it?

On the other hand, I shudder to think of anyone thinking that Dead Can Dance or Joy Division or Sabbath was "out there" really. Maybe it's because I'm old, and all of that was pretty damned popular when I was younger. I mean, I also listen to a lot of Aimee Mann and Colin Hay, and those are names that aren't on the tip of people's tongues I guess... except that he used to be the lead singer for Men At Work and she used to be the lead for Til Tuesday, notable for "Voices Carry" in the 80s. Those got a ton of time on MTV back in the day, when it used to play music instead of bad reality television.

I guess it really depends on how deep your musical sniffer goes. Tom Waits has had a career for decades and dozens of albums, is he not commercial enough these days? Or Lyle Lovett? Elvis Costello? Leonard Cohen? I think Alison Moorer is awesome even though I just have one of her albums, but I'm not even sure her more famous husband, Steve Earle qualifies as "commercial" when commercial is Lady Gaga. What about my favorite band ever, The Pixies? I know a lot more people seem to recognize them than it used to seem, but I don't know if they're really mainstream enough for comparison to Lady Gaga. How about about Ween? Hammers of Misfortune and Slough Feg? Eliot Smith? Calexico? Alexi Murdoch? Squirrel Nut Zippers, or even Mediaeval Baebes? Camper Van Beethoven and Kate Rusby? Gillian Welch? Back when it wasn't a depressing excursion of comparison where I'd simply feel old, I went to see some sort of concert at least once or twice a week... and since I knew people in radio I got to see a lot of groups when no one had heard of them yet. I like a lot of different sorts of music, even weird, experimental stuff that I frankly can't figure out if I think is awesome or if it freaks me out or if it simple annoys me, like the Michael Gira/The Swans or Deerhoof. All of these bands have significant plays on my phone and computer, and that's not even counting classical music, which I mostly leave up to Pandora and doesn't get reported to my counters.
Mad Poster
#33 Old 15th Feb 2012 at 10:58 AM
I like this song at the moment.

http://youtu.be/MQqj0MwWwQ4
Field Researcher
#34 Old 15th Feb 2012 at 12:15 PM Last edited by opiumgirl : 15th Feb 2012 at 12:27 PM. Reason: Forgot Floyd!!
Quote: Originally posted by Mistermook
On the other hand, I shudder to think of anyone thinking that Dead Can Dance or Joy Division or Sabbath was "out there" really. Maybe it's because I'm old, and all of that was pretty damned popular when I was younger. I mean, I also listen to a lot of Aimee Mann and Colin Hay, and those are names that aren't on the tip of people's tongues I guess... except that he used to be the lead singer for Men At Work and she used to be the lead for Til Tuesday, notable for "Voices Carry" in the 80s. Those got a ton of time on MTV back in the day, when it used to play music instead of bad reality television.

I guess it really depends on how deep your musical sniffer goes. Tom Waits has had a career for decades and dozens of albums, is he not commercial enough these days? .

Ha! I also like Tom Waits. I love Leonard Cohen and Pixies- I would just consider them much more well known than Dead can Dance. At least among people I know.
I love Violent Femmes and Nick Cave too. And Pink Floyd and pretty much anything by Roger Waters

I am older and I have never heard Lady Gaga. I don't have a tv and I don't listen to the radio. I prefer to listen to my own collection of music I actually like. So I think mainstream music passed me right by starting in the early 90's.

When I thought about unique music DCD came to mind immediately as no-one else sounds like them. Tom Waits would also fall into this category, so would Joy division and Metallica!
But I doubt if I could find someone who doesn't know Metallica.

A band that also comes to mind would be Springbok Nude Girls, they had an absolutely instantly recognizable sound.
Field Researcher
#35 Old 16th Feb 2012 at 3:34 AM
Interpol (though you could probably tell), LUDO, Explosions in the Sky, I Set My Friends On Fire, Jimi Hendrix (popular, but not exactly mainstream nowadays), and Joan Jett (again, not exactly mainstream). I'm not sure about you guys' areas, but in mine, I'm a musical alien.
Theorist
#36 Old 16th Feb 2012 at 7:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by acid_paradox
I'm not sure about you guys' areas, but in mine, I'm a musical alien.

I like to think of "my area" as the Internet, that way I can allow myself more peers without permanently bruising my face from facepalming. On the other hand, I'm pretty sure my particular flavor of musical tastes can be rather toxic to people in its entirety... I've pretty much given up on a high end of compatibility on just about everything with anyone.

But pffft, I'm not giving up my Ween moments for people, and for the people who can stand Ween I'm not gonna get rid of my Patsy Cline.
Scholar
#37 Old 16th Feb 2012 at 8:12 AM
Jo Kwan Woo is by far my favorite male singer. The middle song i linked is my favorite song by him. You can't get more unique then a mans voice then his; and he makes it seem so easy too.

And of course there is Miyavi which is unique because he really that hyper in real life. Seen him in two differnt concerts... Wait in the music video he seems VERY calm. XD

The music list I listen to is so vast I don't know where to go when it comes to unique. Oh you can't forget Apocalyptica.

But Sophia's video's will leave you wondering WTF. Funny thing is I never discovered Sophia till the singer played Kamen Rider Eternal.

As I leave I leave you with Alestorm

Disclaimer: I am just being a goof ball, please ignore me if offended.
Mad Poster
#38 Old 17th Feb 2012 at 3:59 AM
Quote: Originally posted by crocobaura
I like this song at the moment.

http://youtu.be/MQqj0MwWwQ4
The opening is beautiful! Thanks for sharing it. What language is that? I love the soft sounds of the flute, the vocals, and acoustic guitar in the beginning. I can see why this song would stay with you.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Scholar
#39 Old 17th Feb 2012 at 4:39 AM
Quote: Originally posted by VerDeTerre
The opening is beautiful! Thanks for sharing it.

I agree- that song is really awesome crocobaura.

Ooh, lemme share a few that I'm listening to too much lately.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5OMCRF7UUg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vb_faNDTjWA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEY9GJAm8bA&ob=av2e

that last one.. eh. If you watch IFC, you've probably seen the ads for the album but I thought I'd share it anyway. It's normally not my style, and in fact it's the only song off that album I like- it's pretty gravy.

"You're born naked, and everything else is drag."
dA
Last.fm
tumblr
Lab Assistant
#40 Old 17th Feb 2012 at 6:41 AM
OMG! Where do I start?

Some songs on my ipod

"Listen to your love" by Mona
"Colors" by Grouplove
"Changing" by the airborne toxic event
"take the world" by she wants revenge
"banquet" by bloc party
'PDA" by interpol
"Punching in a dream" by naked and famous
"Mk Ultra" by muse
"Junk of the heart" by the kooks
...and lots of queens of the stone age songs. :D
Mad Poster
#41 Old 19th Feb 2012 at 11:53 PM
Very interesting. The first one is hypnotic with the syncopation just before it sounds like Reggae. The softness of the second one reminds me a touch of Spirit of the Redman, Song of the Earth, inspired by Native American voices. I love it for long drives; it's calming and meditative. It gets a little hokey at one point in the middle, but the rest is great.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Top Secret Researcher
#42 Old 20th Feb 2012 at 3:06 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDGw...feature=related

You have to listen to the entire song to love Warning: 10 minutes, the first 5 to 6 are a slow piano guitar melody, then it gets intense

Why did I move here? I guess it was the weather.

GTA V
Echezzman Nwokeoma
staff: senior moderator
#43 Old 20th Feb 2012 at 5:06 AM
In the morning I listen to Jazz, daytime classical, evening any other music. I practically love any music as long as it is not metal, electro or R&R
Scholar
#44 Old 20th Feb 2012 at 5:17 AM
VerDeTerre, you may like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXfk...feature=related
(the music doesn't start up until about a minute in, if you're in a hurry.)

dA
Last.fm
tumblr
Forum Resident
#45 Old 20th Feb 2012 at 11:01 AM
Hooray, a hipster competition!

Well, ladies and gentlemen, I present to you my guiltiest of pleasures: The Boy Least Likely To; a band that mostly appeals to the 7-10 year old girl demographic. A band I loved for a good portion of my teenage life.

oh god why
Scholar
#46 Old 20th Feb 2012 at 3:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Element Leaf
Hooray, a hipster competition!

Pff. You want adorable kid's songs? Ima outhipster yo ass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPOn...&feature=relmfu

dA
Last.fm
tumblr
Forum Resident
#47 Old 20th Feb 2012 at 6:27 PM
You are both sick and cruel, my good sir. I just ended up wasting a half-hour listening to Yo Gabba Gabba song segments.

Also, my awesome indie hipster band covered the topic of balloons way before yours did!
Top Secret Researcher
#48 Old 22nd Feb 2012 at 9:01 AM
I like KPop such as:

f(x)

Big Bang

Girl's Generation

Super Junior

2NE1

I like JRock such as:

The Gazette

Dir En Grey

Antic Cafe

D'Espairs Ray

Malice Mizer

Versailles (I absolutely love them!)

X Japan

JPop:

Mika Nakashima

Utada Hikaru

Nana Mizuki

Ayumi Hamasaki

I am also getting into 40's Jazz >.> I heard it when I was when this candy shop, and now I can't remember the woman that was singing, but I was snapping my fingers along with the song

"Queen of the Damned seeks knight in shining piercings for pleasure, pain and purring"--Scary Mary from the Urbz: Sims In The City

"A Famous Explorer once said: 'The extraordinary is in what we do, not who we are.'"--Lara Croft from Tomb Raider 2013
Theorist
#49 Old 22nd Feb 2012 at 9:49 AM
Not sure I fully understand the definition of "unique" music, but lately I like to listen to trailer soundtracks from various movies.

Such as Audiomachine's "Akkadian Empire" and "Guardian at the Gate" (from Avatar movie), Epic Score's "The Time Has Come", and "Mind Heist" from Inception.
Top Secret Researcher
#50 Old 22nd Feb 2012 at 4:16 PM
Anything from Portal is unique....

Why did I move here? I guess it was the weather.

GTA V
Page 2 of 4