Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#26 Old 4th Feb 2006 at 8:16 AM
i really need help still
Advertisement
Part-time Hermit
#27 Old 4th Feb 2006 at 8:29 AM
Like I said in another post, this is a very complicated object to start with. We're not scolding you when we say that. You really should first go through a complete beginners' object creation tutorial like this to learn all the important basics before you try to edit a complicated mesh like that with animations. We all have to start from the basics. I've just seen it several times before how people start out with something far too difficult against the advice they are given, and then give up completely when they get frustrated. We can help you with specific problems you have with an object, but we can't build the whole thing for you.
Alchemist
#28 Old 4th Feb 2006 at 7:52 PM Last edited by wes_h : 6th Feb 2006 at 12:44 AM.
Having a mesh painted by the game like that, instead of the blue-flashing color, indicates the texture map itself, indicated by the lettering on the paint job, is defective.

It may be too small, or in the wrong format, but it is a texturing usability issue, not a linking issue. You can see this because the game knows the name of the texture, but supplied an on-the-fly texture because it was unable to use the one supplied.
This can be cause by a creator error, and it could be the paint program being used is not generating an image that is formatted exacly like the game wants.

It is quite a feat to get as far as he's gotten for a beginner; congratulations. The mesh is suitable or it would be invisible or distorted. All that needs fixing is the texture map (TXMT) itself. Not to say you will be satisfied without some texturing touchup later, but that is polishing versus building. Nice work.

<* Wes *>

I looked again at the game picture, the tires exhibit the blue-flash color typical of an improperly linked or missing texture... this must be a multi-group mesh, and thus will require an extra texture map for the tires. Besides my fix mentioned above, go through the names and links for the texture from the SHPE on to the TXMT, you've got something that is either in need of a 'Fix TGI' or is misspelled for the tires group.

If you like to say what you think, be sure you know which to do first.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#29 Old 5th Feb 2006 at 5:58 AM
im a guy!!!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#30 Old 5th Feb 2006 at 6:00 AM
and can someone help me make a new UV map?
Part-time Hermit
#31 Old 5th Feb 2006 at 7:30 AM
Take a look at Numenor's article on uv-mapping.
Alchemist
#32 Old 6th Feb 2006 at 12:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by punkmonkey123
im a guy!!!

My mistake. Noted and corrected.
Sorry,

<* Wes *>

#33 Old 6th Feb 2006 at 11:49 AM
That car is big pimpin'

lol
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#34 Old 8th Feb 2006 at 3:42 AM
lol, its a VW vanagon, but i gave up on it
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#35 Old 8th Feb 2006 at 3:46 AM
Don't give up, punkmonkey. Just set it aside for a while, do some other stuff, and come back to it later. It's a cool idea, and I bet a lot of people would like to have it. You've got some talent, so don't give up.
Alchemist
#36 Old 8th Feb 2006 at 4:08 AM
I agree. He got too far to let a couple of small issues stop him. Most people never get to see any of their first mesh on the first try. I bet that Numenor could help him find the broken link issues to the textures.

<* Wes *>

retired moderator
#37 Old 10th Feb 2006 at 12:18 AM
It's come to my attention that the mesh that actually got imported wasn't actually the VW van, but the original van that comes with NL with the texture all wonky. It appears everyone in this thread has failed their perception roll, including me.

Still, though... for a beginner to get anywhere using SimPE and Milkshape is an accomplishment.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#38 Old 10th Feb 2006 at 11:36 PM
thank you! this isnt the first attempt at an object though, i guess im not able to make something at all....
retired moderator
#39 Old 11th Feb 2006 at 12:01 AM
No sadfaces, punkmonkey. Making cars is whole levels of magnitude harder than regular objects. Which are hard enough on their own. I've been meshing for months now, and I still have problems with it. Just last night, I was trying to make a hair mesh, made all my edits, had it properly linked to the recolour, by all rights did everything perfectly, and yet the mesh still didn't change when I went to preview it. So... it happens to the best of us.

Please keep at it. We need more talented meshers.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#40 Old 11th Feb 2006 at 1:43 AM
thank you
Page 2 of 2