Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in

Latest Site News

Theme Seasons and Celebrations - posted on 1st Oct 2017 at 1:52 PM
Replies: 345 (Who?), Viewed: 449157 times.
Page 3 of 14
Lab Assistant
#51 Old 25th Feb 2005 at 6:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miche
I don`t know what those parts where (I take it they are from the files you have included, I`m just about to look at the file so will get back to you), there are some problems with viewing the subgroups if that object uses more than one bone per vertice, as the subgroup view will only take into account the first bone the vertices are attached to. ( They look like the door and drawer handles and hinges to me, one of the objects in the armoire I looked at contained the handles and hinges. When looking through the subgroups in gmdc view you will see the vertices which are attached to that bone/subgroup.)

Edit: I`ve just looked at the file you included and you haven`t included the gmdc file, can you post that so I make sure I`m using the same one as you are.


Thank you Miche for taking time answering my questions! Yeah the armoire I cloned do have a handle and hinge part, but I didn't add them in my new model. The 3d view screen looked weird to me, black screen with white dots... But I have no idea what a correct view should be. Attached is the gmdc file. Greatly appreciate it!

-- Yingying
Download - please read all instructions before downloading any files!
File Type: rar AC4F8687 - Geometric Data Container - D2DD8A20-1C050000-FFB363EE.rar (27.2 KB, 51 downloads) - View custom content
Lab Assistant
#52 Old 25th Feb 2005 at 8:14 PM Last edited by Saikatsu : 10th Mar 2005 at 5:29 AM.
Um, yes, I did explain what isn't working. It's not putting my new mesh into the GMDC. It stays as the old mesh, even though it appears to go through the process correctly and saves. Yes, I am replacing the existing GMDC in the package, no change in the mesh takes place.

When I say checkboxes and the like during importing and exporting, I mean while in 3DS, not the Mesh Tool.

I didn't attach any files because I have a feeling that they wouldn't help because they aren't done correctly and can't be used.

EDIT: Okay... I just found a thread with some information for 3DS and exported as a reference frame... now Mesh Tool is complaining about vertices with more than 3 bone assignments. I checked my added piece and for some reason it was assigned to every single bone... so I excluded the vertices from all but the one bone I want it assigned to (it's a solid shoulder armor piece). But... Mesh Tool is still giving me the same complaint. -_- And after looking the body mesh over... it looks like it assigned every vertex to every bone. awidfjadl. <angry> NOW I remember why I HATED character skinning and rigging in my class. I can't remember which is worse... applying the skin modifier or the IK chains with the models we did =_=

EDIT 2: Started over and merged in the armor piece, seems to work just fine now. Whee. Sorry for my idiocy >_>

EDIT 3: as:LKDSJFSDfjwd. It's still not putting my changed mesh into the GMDC. I'm attaching the original GMDC and the SMD regardless of how utterly useless it may be.

EDIT 4: File removed, no longer needed~
Nearly alive
Original Poster
#53 Old 25th Feb 2005 at 11:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saikatsu
Um, yes, I did explain what isn't working. It's not putting my new mesh into the GMDC. It stays as the old mesh, even though it appears to go through the process correctly and saves. Yes, I am replacing the existing GMDC in the package, no change in the mesh takes place.

When I say checkboxes and the like during importing and exporting, I mean while in 3DS, not the Mesh Tool.

I didn't attach any files because I have a feeling that they wouldn't help because they aren't done correctly and can't be used.

EDIT: Okay... I just found a thread with some information for 3DS and exported as a reference frame... now Mesh Tool is complaining about vertices with more than 3 bone assignments. I checked my added piece and for some reason it was assigned to every single bone... so I excluded the vertices from all but the one bone I want it assigned to (it's a solid shoulder armor piece). But... Mesh Tool is still giving me the same complaint. -_- And after looking the body mesh over... it looks like it assigned every vertex to every bone. awidfjadl. <angry> NOW I remember why I HATED character skinning and rigging in my class. I can't remember which is worse... applying the skin modifier or the IK chains with the models we did =_=

EDIT 2: Started over and merged in the armor piece, seems to work just fine now. Whee. Sorry for my idiocy >_>

EDIT 3: as:LKDSJFSDfjwd. It's still not putting my changed mesh into the GMDC. I'm attaching the original GMDC and the SMD regardless of how utterly useless it may be.



Well I tested the files you posted and the mesh tool certainly puts that smd file in the gmdc file without any problems, but as you didn`t include the package you had made to put the gmdc file in, I couldn`t test that everything was working correctly in the game or bodyshop(so I couldn`t check the correct vertice in the smd file were attached to the correct bones. )

If you post the package then I`ll test that for you.

If I`m to help you work out why for you the mesh doesn`t get put into the gmdc file, then as I said earlier I really need more details on what exactly you are doing, so I can see where you are going wrong.
Lab Assistant
DELETED POST
26th Feb 2005 at 3:02 AM
This message has been deleted by atavera.
Lab Assistant
#54 Old 26th Feb 2005 at 3:26 AM Last edited by Saikatsu : 26th Feb 2005 at 3:36 AM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miche
Well I tested the files you posted and the mesh tool certainly puts that smd file in the gmdc file without any problems, but as you didn`t include the package you had made to put the gmdc file in, I couldn`t test that everything was working correctly in the game or bodyshop(so I couldn`t check the correct vertice in the smd file were attached to the correct bones. )

If you post the package then I`ll test that for you.

If I`m to help you work out why for you the mesh doesn`t get put into the gmdc file, then as I said earlier I really need more details on what exactly you are doing, so I can see where you are going wrong.

Blergh, I KNEW I was forgetting something. I'll attach it along with the file for the texture.

I guess I'm just not being as clear as I think I am. I put my SMD through Mesh Tool, replace the package's GMDC, save, then load Body Shop to look at it... and it's still using the original mesh! SimPe's Preview also shows the original mesh, and not the one I just put into it. I've tried it with a pair of glasses before and got the same result-- it uses the original mesh and not the one I put in.

EDIT: Also, what I've uploaded is incomplete, I just wanted to make sure I could get the thing WORKING before spending the time on something in the event that it wouldn't work right (which seems to be the case here -_-).

I'd also like to know if it's alright to apply a texture to the mesh in 3DS. I can't quite figure out how to entirely remove the material like you can in MilkShape and I don't know if it interferes at all.
Download - please read all instructions before downloading any files!
File Type: rar RRNFANeoTop.rar (116.2 KB, 45 downloads) - View custom content
Guest
#55 Old 26th Feb 2005 at 6:57 AM
:weep: i'm having problems just downloading the mesh tool. when i downloaded the zip file, there is nothing in it. when i try to unzip it says the folder is empty or corrupted. i've tried it over and over and get the samething. can anyone help me? i'm just dying to make some bigger boobs!
Nearly alive
Original Poster
#56 Old 26th Feb 2005 at 11:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saikatsu
Blergh, I KNEW I was forgetting something. I'll attach it along with the file for the texture.

I guess I'm just not being as clear as I think I am. I put my SMD through Mesh Tool, replace the package's GMDC, save, then load Body Shop to look at it... and it's still using the original mesh! SimPe's Preview also shows the original mesh, and not the one I just put into it. I've tried it with a pair of glasses before and got the same result-- it uses the original mesh and not the one I put in.

EDIT: Also, what I've uploaded is incomplete, I just wanted to make sure I could get the thing WORKING before spending the time on something in the event that it wouldn't work right (which seems to be the case here -_-).

I'd also like to know if it's alright to apply a texture to the mesh in 3DS. I can't quite figure out how to entirely remove the material like you can in MilkShape and I don't know if it interferes at all.



okay I`ll look at the files you posted again and check see if it shows up in body shop.

You were being clear in saying that you were importing the smd file with the mesh tool but it wasn`t getting put into the gmdc file, but what you aren`t being clear on is the exact process you did to import, what object did you assign to what group, what check boxes (in the mesh tool ) did you have checked , what buttons did you click. It`s just without knowing exactly what you did I can`t tell why it didn`t get imported into the gmdc , because for me it worked okay.

Applying a texture in 3ds shouldn`t cause any problems as the mesh tool will just ignore it, you`ll still have to import you texture into SimPE , I hope future version of the mesh tool will check to see if any textures have been applied to the mesh and then add them to the package for you, but it`ll be quite some time before it does that.
Nearly alive
Original Poster
#57 Old 26th Feb 2005 at 11:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superbm2day
:weep: i'm having problems just downloading the mesh tool. when i downloaded the zip file, there is nothing in it. when i try to unzip it says the folder is empty or corrupted. i've tried it over and over and get the samething. can anyone help me? i'm just dying to make some bigger boobs!


I have no idea why it would be doing that, I`ve just downloaded it again to check and it works fine for me and no one else has ever said they are having problems (is anyone else having this problem?) .

The only things I can think to say is first of right click on the file and then select "save link as". The other thing is maybe try a different zip program to unzip it, and lastly try to download the old version from the website http://meshtool.modthesims.com
but that is a older version and doesn`t support smd files and some other features which have been added to the later versions, as this new version seems to work without too many problem , it`s likely that it will get uploaded to the website soon.
Scholar
#58 Old 26th Feb 2005 at 4:19 PM Last edited by Dr Pixel : 26th Feb 2005 at 9:19 PM. Reason: Attachment Removed
Well, I re-did everything from scratch - but, still the same "tails" problem with the newly added .obj mesh.

It seems like one of the vertices (or maybe more) is being dislocated in the adding process, or maybe ignored or something.

I've attached the files and a short description.

Sorry for the large filesize, I wanted to be sure you have everything needed.

Let me know when you have it and I will delete the .zip
Nearly alive
Original Poster
#59 Old 26th Feb 2005 at 6:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Pixel
Well, I re-did everything from scratch - but, still the same "tails" problem with the newly added .obj mesh.

It seems like one of the vertices (or maybe more) is being dislocated in the adding process, or maybe ignored or something.

I've attached the files and a short description.

Sorry for the large filesize, I wanted to be sure you have everything needed.

Let me know when you have it and I will delete the .zip


Okay I`ve downloaded it, you can delete it now. I`ll have a look at the files and get back to you.
Lab Assistant
#60 Old 26th Feb 2005 at 7:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miche
okay I`ll look at the files you posted again and check see if it shows up in body shop.

You were being clear in saying that you were importing the smd file with the mesh tool but it wasn`t getting put into the gmdc file, but what you aren`t being clear on is the exact process you did to import, what object did you assign to what group, what check boxes (in the mesh tool ) did you have checked , what buttons did you click. It`s just without knowing exactly what you did I can`t tell why it didn`t get imported into the gmdc , because for me it worked okay.

Applying a texture in 3ds shouldn`t cause any problems as the mesh tool will just ignore it, you`ll still have to import you texture into SimPE , I hope future version of the mesh tool will check to see if any textures have been applied to the mesh and then add them to the package for you, but it`ll be quite some time before it does that.

I followed the instructions exactly in regards to checkboxes and group numbers in the Mesh Tool.

As for the texture thing... thanks.
Lab Assistant
#61 Old 28th Feb 2005 at 1:10 AM Last edited by Jaycephus : 28th Feb 2005 at 1:13 AM.
I went through the WDS_Brianna clothing mesh tutorial using the latest Mesh Tool, and got it to work up to the point of seeing it in Bodyshop. I can see the new mesh in SimPE with the MESH package open, but when I open bodyshop and cycle through to the new dress, bodyshop crashes.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks,
Lab Assistant
#62 Old 28th Feb 2005 at 10:29 AM
Is it possible for future version of SimPE to export OBJ files with skeletons? Also, is it possible for future version of the mesh tool to import edited OBJ files with skeletons to the game?
Nearly alive
Original Poster
#63 Old 28th Feb 2005 at 10:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabelline
Is it possible for future version of SimPE to export OBJ files with skeletons? Also, is it possible for future version of the mesh tool to import edited OBJ files with skeletons to the game?


The obj file does not support skeletons, so the answer to your questions has to be no I`m affraid. There isn`t really any standard format which does support skeletons, most programs and games use their own custom format , like SMD, and smd was the one when I was looking at the various formats which had the most support with the various 3d programs.

What problems are you having with the smd format?
Lab Assistant
#64 Old 28th Feb 2005 at 11:38 AM Last edited by Mabelline : 28th Feb 2005 at 11:46 AM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miche
The obj file does not support skeletons, so the answer to your questions has to be no I`m affraid. There isn`t really any standard format which does support skeletons, most programs and games use their own custom format , like SMD, and smd was the one when I was looking at the various formats which had the most support with the various 3d programs.

What problems are you having with the smd format?

I ask that questions because only a few of 3d programs (except milkshape)support smd.
Lab Assistant
#65 Old 28th Feb 2005 at 12:50 PM
So how do I convert .objs to .smds?
Nearly alive
Original Poster
#66 Old 1st Mar 2005 at 1:42 AM Last edited by Miche : 1st Mar 2005 at 10:11 AM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Pixel
Well, I am getting closer every time -

I am now able to attach the new mesh to the correct bone, but it still has the "tail" - see the pics.

I think it's something I did wrong on the bracelet mesh itself, though.

I imported/exported it in so many different ways, using both yours and Wes's tools, that it probably has gotten some extra data attached to it somewhere along the line.

Before I bother you with this any more, I am going to go back to the beginning and re-do everything from scratch



I`ve tracked down the problem, it`s not actually the add model function which is causing this but the fact that the body mesh you are adding it to had already been imported with the mesh tool. If you add your watch to a original gmdc file (unchanged body mesh from the game) then it works fine. So now I know what is causing this I will work on fixing it for the next release.
Scholar
#67 Old 1st Mar 2005 at 2:54 AM
OK, thanks. I'll wait for the next release before trying this on altered meshes.
Field Researcher
#68 Old 5th Mar 2005 at 6:49 PM Last edited by psyckotic : 6th Mar 2005 at 12:00 AM.
The export way works with no problem but i have problem with the import...
When i import the gmdc file in SimPE it crashes it...
-------------------------------------------------------
Message:
Error while trying to open

: C:\Documents and Settings\psyckotic\My Documents\EA Games\Les Sims 2\Downloads\Bang Da Bomb.package
: AC4F8687 - 5430832A - 1C0532FA - FF7E0285

Exception Stack:
System.OverflowException: Arithmetic operation resulted in an overflow.
at SimPe.Plugin.GeometryDataContainerItem2.Unserialize(BinaryReader reader)
at SimPe.Plugin.GeometryDataContainer.Unserialize(BinaryReader reader)
at SimPe.Plugin.Rcol.Unserialize(BinaryReader reader)
at SimPe.Interfaces.Plugin.AbstractWrapper.ProcessData(IPackedFileDescriptor pfd, IPackageFile package)

Source:
simpe.rcol

Execution Stack:
at SimPe.Plugin.GeometryDataContainerItem2.Unserialize(BinaryReader reader)
at SimPe.Plugin.GeometryDataContainer.Unserialize(BinaryReader reader)
at SimPe.Plugin.Rcol.Unserialize(BinaryReader reader)
at SimPe.Interfaces.Plugin.AbstractWrapper.ProcessData(IPackedFileDescriptor pfd, IPackageFile package)

----------------------------------------------------------
So I gave you all the step files
- original gmdc
- smd export in single bone assigned by vertex (the other option give me "error subscript range" ->)
- unfinished smd after error
- smd modified
- final gmdc that crash SimPE
Nearly alive
Original Poster
#69 Old 5th Mar 2005 at 8:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psyckotic
The export way works with no problem but i have problem with the import...
When i import the gmdc file in SimPE it crashes it...
-------------------------------------------------------
Message:
Error while trying to open

: C:\Documents and Settings\psyckotic\My Documents\EA Games\Les Sims 2\Downloads\Bang Da Bomb.package
: AC4F8687 - 5430832A - 1C0532FA - FF7E0285

Exception Stack:
System.OverflowException: Arithmetic operation resulted in an overflow.
at SimPe.Plugin.GeometryDataContainerItem2.Unserialize(BinaryReader reader)
at SimPe.Plugin.GeometryDataContainer.Unserialize(BinaryReader reader)
at SimPe.Plugin.Rcol.Unserialize(BinaryReader reader)
at SimPe.Interfaces.Plugin.AbstractWrapper.ProcessData(IPackedFileDescriptor pfd, IPackageFile package)

Source:
simpe.rcol

Execution Stack:
at SimPe.Plugin.GeometryDataContainerItem2.Unserialize(BinaryReader reader)
at SimPe.Plugin.GeometryDataContainer.Unserialize(BinaryReader reader)
at SimPe.Plugin.Rcol.Unserialize(BinaryReader reader)
at SimPe.Interfaces.Plugin.AbstractWrapper.ProcessData(IPackedFileDescriptor pfd, IPackageFile package)

----------------------------------------------------------
So I gave you all the step files
- original gmdc
- smd export in single bone assigned by vertex (the other option give me "error subscript range" ->)
- unfinished smd after error
- smd modified
- final gmdc that crash simpe



I`m just going to look at this, but can you tell me what 3d program you used to edit the smd with and also what check boxes in the mesh tool you had checked when loading the smd file and when assigning it to a object and saving the gmdc.
Field Researcher
#70 Old 5th Mar 2005 at 9:37 PM
I use 3dsmax 7
Nearly alive
Original Poster
#71 Old 5th Mar 2005 at 10:43 PM Last edited by Miche : 5th Mar 2005 at 10:50 PM.
I`m guessing that you didn`t have the "using 3ds max" box checked when loading the smd file, as I`ve tried it and it works for me. Reimporting the modified smd with that box checked, then replacing the gmdc in a package with the one created. As you didn`t include the original package I couldn`t try placing it into that, but where the modified gmdc file you included in the rar wouldn`t go into any package in simpe, the one I created did without any problems.

If you did have the "using 3ds max2 box checked when loading the smd (and checked all the way through the progress), can you reply again with exact details of what you did.
Field Researcher
#72 Old 5th Mar 2005 at 11:51 PM Last edited by psyckotic : 6th Mar 2005 at 12:02 AM.
thanks a lot I have forgot this stuff... It is now workin !!!
I will never forget this stuff :D
Lab Assistant
#73 Old 6th Mar 2005 at 1:07 AM
I don't mean to sound rude or impatient, but did anything get figured out with my files? I did post the last of what was needed.
Nearly alive
Original Poster
#74 Old 6th Mar 2005 at 1:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saikatsu
I don't mean to sound rude or impatient, but did anything get figured out with my files? I did post the last of what was needed.


I really don`t mean to sound rude either but as I said in a earlier reply to you, there wasn`t anything wrong with the files you posted and it worked fine when I used the mesh tool to reimport it. Also as I said, the only way I can help you find out why it wasn`t working for you, is if you post the details of exactly what you did.
Lab Assistant
#75 Old 6th Mar 2005 at 3:25 AM
I have been attempting to add an obj mesh to a body mesh, and it works quite well, but the final GDMC is missing the datalists for fat and pregnant.
Is there any way of getting these back?

The mesh is only the lower part, works perfect when the body is in a normal state, but when fat/pregant, there is a split.
Page 3 of 14
Back to top