Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Sep 2010 at 11:39 PM
Default Help with UV Map or Texture Map
Having some issues getting certain things to line up when creating new textures. There are tons of UV maps or texture maps for sims 2 but I can find nothing for sims 3, or even how to extract/create the uv maps.

I'm just making clothing, and am just using stock maxis meshes. I have some stuff that looks great, or rather WOULD look great, if I could manage to work with a uv map to get things to line up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. For starters I'm just working with the skin tight stuff like swimwear and the like. Moving on to more complicated stuff later. Same as I did when creating for sims 1 and 2.

It's not what you do it's how you do it, you be you, and I'll be me, It's just a matter of style.

Victim of the thought police.

It needn't take alot of time, as long as it's done well.
Advertisement
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#2 Old 14th Sep 2010 at 12:24 AM
UV mapping in TS3 works exactly the same as in TS2, with one caveat; when TS3 renders a sim, it slaps the textures for all that sim's clothing onto one big composite texture. So you have to be careful that, say, your skirt texture doesn't overlap the area of the texture used by boots. Otherwise - export the mesh as OBJ, edit the map in your map editor of choice, and then reimport OBJ (UV only) (assuming you're in Milkshape). If it's just small stuff, you may be able to do it using the Texture Co-ordinate Editor window in Milkshape, which avoids the whole exporting/importing issue.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 14th Sep 2010 at 12:51 AM
That made a LITTLE sense. See i've never actually extracted a mesh before, never needed to.

I'm basically looking for something similar to this. http://www.sims2wiki.info/wiki.php?...Unimesh2-23.jpg

That I can throw in a texture to edit in photoshop, to help line things up. Just as I use a flat version of a skintone to make sure certain items get covered up, for when I do screenshots since I use anatomical skins in my game.

It's not what you do it's how you do it, you be you, and I'll be me, It's just a matter of style.

Née whiterider
retired moderator
#4 Old 14th Sep 2010 at 12:58 AM
Ah, I see. What's the name of the mesh you're editing?

Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 14th Sep 2010 at 1:05 AM
Not really editing the mesh itself, but it's the adult female swimwear. Having a horrible time getting straps to line up and such. So I guess just the nude map would work fine.

For Sims 2 someone actually posted most of the the uv maps. But as we all know they'd be useless for sims 3 LOL.

Ah here we go, I need a sims 3 version of this........

http://nene.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=214890

Née whiterider
retired moderator
#6 Old 14th Sep 2010 at 1:33 AM
Yeah, I realised just now what a stupid question that was...

This is done exactly how I explained in the first post - extracted the mesh in CTU, imported it into Milkshape, exported as OBJ and then opened the OBJ in UVMapper Classic and saved the texture map. The others... will have to wait.

http://www.modyourpanties.com/image...023159-lod1.bmp

Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 14th Sep 2010 at 1:44 AM
OMG you are such a lifesaver.

Thank you.

Also this may sound odd, but believe it or not, your explanation of how to do it in this last post made more sense. It's just the way in which I read and do things I guess. So much to do right now, training for a new job and such.

You are GOLDEN to me now. I can start making some sims 3 stuff and getting them up. Thanks again.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 14th Sep 2010 at 2:15 AM
Hrm, it's helping some, but interestingly the game isn't quite following it. Are there any overlaps?

Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 14th Sep 2010 at 3:27 AM
OK I'm not sure what's happening. I have everything lined up on the UV map correctly, down to the pixel, but this is the issue I'm getting.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The issue is a little different for each side.