Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in
Replies: 36 (Who?), Viewed: 884 times.
Page 2 of 2
Forum Resident
#26 Old 20th Mar 2019 at 8:51 PM
nobody (?) will burn you for that. I hope.

Just most Free Software* is (if curated actively) usually better and safer to use, and also standards' compliant, most proprietary software uses theirs own special format with no other reason than create a jail for the user. Yeah... not to mention these hardware companies able to even invent special screws for... well - screw theirs clients.

But it's your choice. I've never used rar, nor ace because of theirs slowness, weak encryption (like Word level weak), non standard format, and overall peskiness.

*It's not the same so "Open Source", please do not start the armaggeddon there

Fox-Lambert (A)RL
hiatus 'till the life run again in the normal-abnormal way
favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Mad Poster
#27 Old 20th Mar 2019 at 10:37 PM Last edited by Bulbizarre : 20th Mar 2019 at 10:52 PM.
There's a few advantages of rar over 7Z, such as error correction, but I prefer the better compression.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

If you have any questions about YOPD, feel free to PM me. | Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives | Welcome to Oakbrook.
Mad Poster
#28 Old 20th Mar 2019 at 11:49 PM
Well, after reading this thread, I've uninstalled WinRAR and installed 7zip (following an auto-link in aelflaed's post (#22). I hope I've done the right thing. I just updated WinRAR a couple of months ago, but the version had already moved on from 5.6 to 5.7, so my copy was already out of date.

My first thought is that I find 7zip a bit less intuitive to use than WinRAR, but that's maybe just because I'm new to it.The only thing I ever use WinRAR for is to decompress Sims 2 CC files if they're in the .RAR format. For all other archiving, including backing up my game, I use .zip files and the Windows interface. (Windows calls them "Compressed Folders".)

This thread put the wind up me a bit, but what really persuaded me to switch was the "split" feature mentioned by frogz in post #23. Every few weeks I make a full back up of my Documents\Sims 2 Folder, and move it to a DVD for safe keeping. When I first started, I used to get 7 full Sims backups on one DVD, but now I only get one onto the DVD. So it seems clear to me that, as I keep adding CC to my downloads folder , and Sims to my neighbourhoods, the day will come when my full backup will no longer fit onto one DVD. And when that happens I'll need a "split" feature.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
Mad Poster
#29 Old Yesterday at 1:00 AM
@AndrewGloria - no need for 7-Zip. CDBurnerXP can handle splitting files across multiple discs. It's called disc spanning.

Watch out when installing. I think it comes bundled with OpenCandy, so it might try to sneak in a toolbar.

If you have any questions about YOPD, feel free to PM me. | Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives | Welcome to Oakbrook.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#30 Old Yesterday at 1:59 AM
I'm so confused.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#31 Old Yesterday at 2:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by joandsarah77
I'm so confused.

Update WinRAR or use 7-Zip. If you want to split multiple files between discs, use CDBurnerXP's disc spanning.

Forum Resident
#32 Old Yesterday at 3:23 AM
em...

from RightClick-> 7zip -> Add To Archive
[option window]: split to volumes (lower left side)

there's help file BTW: https://sevenzip.osdn.jp/chm/start.htm

Fox-Lambert (A)RL
hiatus 'till the life run again in the normal-abnormal way
favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#33 Old Yesterday at 3:26 AM
My WinRAR is updated and why do I need to split files? Is WinRAR dangerous or can I continue using it? I hate change.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#34 Old Yesterday at 6:14 AM
There's nothing wrong with WinRAR. You can keep using it.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#35 Old Yesterday at 7:16 AM
Good, then I will! *goes off grumbling about kids on her lawn and new-fangled things*

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#36 Old Yesterday at 8:24 AM
Quote:
My WinRAR is updated and why do I need to split files? Is WinRAR dangerous or can I continue using it? I hate change.

If it's updated, you're fine.

AndrewGloria mentioned wanting to split files between discs when backing up his neighbourhoods. That's why I suggested using disc spanning.

Mad Poster
#37 Old Yesterday at 8:38 AM
Quote:
Good, then I will! *goes off grumbling about kids on her lawn and new-fangled things*

Screenshots
Page 2 of 2