Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#101 Old 16th Feb 2005 at 12:05 AM
Quote: Originally posted by msb069
I have the NVidia G-Force FX 5500 and It wouldn't show bumps until I edited the Graphics Rules.sgr file. Now I have the bumps.

Oh ok, thanks for that info, MSB069. I really wanted something that would show without changing the files, but if it works that's still cool. :D
Advertisement
#102 Old 16th Feb 2005 at 4:10 AM
Quote: Originally posted by wrolyat
but in the C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\The Sims 2\TSData\Res\Config\globalProps.xml it says that bump mapping is false.
I started up the game and then exited, but there is no info in the log, so I don't know what is a matter.

go ahead and change the line in C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\The Sims 2\TSData\Res\Config\globalProps.xml to say bump maps true

your log file in ...\My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Logs\{username}-config-log.txt is regenerated each time the game is run.
there are two places in the log file that show bumpmapping state.... search for bump will take you to them. globalProps is the initial instructions for the game, and the final game config (after it overrides any global and user settings) is shown at the end of the file. make sure both show true, and if not, re-verify the data from my previous post.

M
Lab Assistant
#103 Old 16th Feb 2005 at 10:00 PM
The log files are there, but there is no info in them. Also, I did what you told me to do on the settings and what not, but when I opened it up in bs, there was no custom content sign. It was just the regular clothes that semloh started as a base. I don't get it, every other custom object shows up in my game. Here is a different thumbnail again showing that there is no bump mapping.
Screenshots
Test Subject
#104 Old 18th Feb 2005 at 7:08 PM
Semloh.

I've just upgraded to a Radeon 9600 Pro and now have your bumpmapped skins showing up nicely. Great work. While experimenting with bodyshop to see which clothes already have bumpmapping I noticed that several of the swimming costumes also displayed the bumpmapping you created for the adult female. Where you aware of this? I would have included a screen shot, but I do not seem to be able to get one to work.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#105 Old 18th Feb 2005 at 7:48 PM
Bucks Glover:

Yep, I am aware that the bump maps may be projected onto some clothing. (This is mentioned in the instructions I posted with the skin ).

The 9600 PRO is not exactly a cutting edge card these days but it performs pretty well doesn't it. I am quite content with mine (for a while yet at least). For anyone looking for a relatively inexpensive graphics upgrade that can even handle more demanding games like Doom3 fairly well, the 9600 PRO is worth a look.
Test Subject
#106 Old 18th Feb 2005 at 10:34 PM
Just a though regarding the Geforce 6600GT problem. I noticed that none of the 6600 family are in the Video Cards.sgr file. Could this be causing the problem?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#107 Old 19th Feb 2005 at 1:52 AM
Quote: Originally posted by UberSims
Just a though regarding the Geforce 6600GT problem. I noticed that none of the 6600 family are in the Video Cards.sgr file. Could this be causing the problem?

Good point UberSims, it certainly won't be helping as the Graphics Rules.sgr logic is relying on the correct identification of the card name. Some of the people modifying this logic to check for a card name of "*66?0*" may be wasting their time without the correct entries in Video Cards.sgr to ensure the card name is mapped.
Lab Assistant
#108 Old 19th Feb 2005 at 1:13 PM
I did try to modify the Graphic rules.sgr replacing the 59xx family by the 66xx family.

Didn't work for me but maybe someone else can have a try to add the family and not replace an existing one.

If we do that do we still have to do the vextex and Pixelshaders changes at the same time ?
Test Subject
#109 Old 19th Feb 2005 at 9:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by semloh
Good point UberSims, it certainly won't be helping as the Graphics Rules.sgr logic is relying on the correct identification of the card name. Some of the people modifying this logic to check for a card name of "*66?0*" may be wasting their time without the correct entries in Video Cards.sgr to ensure the card name is mapped.

Can we put the 6600 family in the Video Cards.sgr file and if so, what is the text to put in there?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#110 Old 19th Feb 2005 at 10:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by UberSims
Can we put the 6600 family in the Video Cards.sgr file and if so, what is the text to put in there?

I don't see why you couldn't add the 6600 family, the only problem is to find out the return codes from these cards for the mapping. I'm sorry I dont know how you would obtain the correct return codes except maybe to search nVidia technical forums.
Test Subject
#111 Old 20th Feb 2005 at 6:32 AM
I ended up getting the return codes for the 6600's, but it didn't work.
Lab Assistant
#112 Old 20th Feb 2005 at 3:50 PM
Ubersisms,

What type of 6600 card do you have ( mine is a Leadtek A6600 GT DTH ) ?

Maybe you could e-mail me the return code and I could try on my 6600 card.

Semloh,

do we only have to add the card family or do we also have to add the vertex and Pixelshaders changes as well ?

Thanks for your response.
Lab Assistant
#113 Old 20th Feb 2005 at 7:41 PM
HA HA! All this time I thought the video card required 256megs of onboard ram (forget where I got that idea...)

But now my Nvidia Ge-Force FX 5900XT 128megs is KING! The bump mapping finally shows and runs faster (who knew...) But something weird: the words show in the game and body shop, but the log still says bumpmapping is disabled... maybe editing that globalProps.xml is only for the log?
Test Subject
#114 Old 21st Feb 2005 at 2:41 AM
Zarmor,

I've got a Sparkle SP-AP43GDH. The return codes I found on a Linux website of all places (I matched the values EA used to make sure it was right) and the 6600 GT uses 0x000f1 and 0x000f2. I don't know which as f1 is for the 6600 and 6600GT while f2 is for the 6600GT only.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#115 Old 21st Feb 2005 at 8:15 AM
Quote: Originally posted by zarmor

do we only have to add the card family or do we also have to add the vertex and Pixelshaders changes as well

If you make the changes I describe at the top of this thread to 'Graphics Rules.sgr' you probably don't even need to touch 'Video Cards.sgr' as my suggested changes will apply to any nVidia card regardless of it's name. Some people however have been changing 'Graphics Rules.sgr' logic in a different way in order to test for specific card names such as "*66?0*". In this case I think the 'Video Cards.sgr' changes would be required and yes, you would need the vertex and Pixelshaders changes in this case.

This could all be academic anyway as from what people are saying it sounds as if the 6600/6800 cards use a newer version of pixel shading which Sims2 doesn't appear to recognise. This means no bump maps on these cards
Test Subject
#116 Old 21st Feb 2005 at 8:58 AM
Unless they patch it. Please! For the love of God, patch it!
#117 Old 22nd Feb 2005 at 3:25 AM
NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5600/64mb

bumpy tshirt works. This is one of the video configurations commonly used in hp pavillion/zd series
Test Subject
#118 Old 23rd Feb 2005 at 2:53 PM
Thank you so much for this tutorial. I have bump maps in my game as well. I appreciate your overall effort.
Test Subject
#119 Old 24th Feb 2005 at 8:38 AM Last edited by UberSims : 24th Feb 2005 at 8:41 AM.
Default The line from EA
After a number of emails to and from EA including one where they told me that bump mapping wasn't included in The Sims 2, that have essentially said that as fixing the problem would involve EA telling me how to mod the game, they can't help you any further.

And this is a position probably based on legal and commercial reasons that I can understand. I would however hope that they can patch this in the future, so we don't have to mod a program to get it to work as it was intended.

During the correspondence, it was noted by EA that "the people at this site that you referred me to can probably help you". The site I referred the EA customer support person to was this one. In particular, this thread. I may be being overly optomistic here, but I'm taking that to mean that we're close to fixing the problem ourselves.

If any one could post the revolutionary breakthrough that us 6600GT owners are hoping for (which appears to me just me and zarmor), it'd be much appreciated.
Test Subject
#120 Old 25th Feb 2005 at 10:52 AM
Default Update
Another day, another email from EA. Sort of a hint of finality about this one, but there's still hope.

"Hello again,

I agree that this issue should be corrected. Especially considering you have a very high end video card that should be able to handle anything the game can throw at it. You can send an email to [email protected], our developers actually read these, so theres no worries that your time is just going to a black hole. Please include the incident number of this case (050218-004174) so they can reffernce our thread. You may also want to let anyone else know about this who is having similar issues. Thank you SO much for your understanding in this matter, i hope that our developers correct this issues best they can in the near furure so that people like yourself do not have lessened performance for better video cards. Thank you for your patience."

If this ever gets done, I am going to formally request that it's called the "UberSims" fix
Test Subject
#121 Old 27th Feb 2005 at 7:17 AM
Im using NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 and it works, thanks!
Test Subject
#122 Old 27th Feb 2005 at 12:25 PM
sexierjess14.

Could you please give details on how you managed to get the Geforce4 Mx440 card to show bump-mapping. I have spent many fruitless hours searching the web to get it to work, and came to the conclusion this could not be done with this particular card.
Lab Assistant
#123 Old 27th Feb 2005 at 4:45 PM
Ubersims,

I was going to e-mail you but as you seem to be reading this thread every day...

I have installed one of the latest ForceWave driver that has been done by Leadtek : the 71.84 one. You can find it at the Guru 3D site.

It has imporved drastically the performance of my Leadtek A6600 GT DTH Vid. card ( I have gained 400 points with the 3DMark05 benchmark )
If I remember well you have the same video card.

Since I sent some e-mails to Leadtek complaining about the Bumpmapping problem with TS2 game, I'm going to try again Semloh's technic and see if it works now.

If it does I will ask Leadtek to rename the 71.84 driver as Zarmor's driver :bump:

Let's keep ourselves aware of any progress on that bumpmapping 6600 problem !!

I hope your contact with EA will help having a " uberSims " fix soon.
#124 Old 27th Feb 2005 at 11:56 PM
Nvidia Gforce fx 5200 is now showing bump Maps....THANKS~
Test Subject
#125 Old 28th Feb 2005 at 2:34 AM
Another update:

I sent an email to EA as suggested by the tech support people and recevied a response that suggestions have to be made through a web-based form. Which I have compelted. The form indiciated that I will not receive a response from my suggestion. So all we can do is hope.

Zarmor - Any news on the 71.84 driver working?
Page 5 of 15