Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Jun 2013 at 3:31 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life
Default Lag issues with dragging styles
I've had this problem for a while and have just dealt with it, but I figure it's time to ask.

I have major problems - typically only in build or buy modes - with dragging styles. The style window itself has no problems with lag, but when I try to drag a style over to another object, the game starts to lag and it becomes very difficult to move the camera around. Occasionally, I also cannot see my cursor, which makes it very difficult to dragon over the right object in combination with the lag. This lag problem also tends to occur if I simply have the style tool selected and I'm trying to move around my lot to find the object I want. I have the same problem (in build mode only) if I try to move the camera when I have the hand selected - presumably because the hand can drag walls. If either of these tools are selected, but my cursor is off-screen, there is no lag. I have no other chop/lag issues of this kind, and only with those specific tools selected. I have the same problem with or without CC of any kind. I clear my data caches before every time I play, so I doubt this is related. It occurs in all (EA) neighborhoods. This is not a game-breaking issue, but, as one might imagine, it can slow down the building and furnishing processes quite a bit when I want to customize styles.

Does anyone else have similar problems? Any idea why this occurs?
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 24th Jun 2013 at 8:25 AM
I have this happen now.
It started after I installed University and has made the game unplayable when using Create a Style.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 24th Jun 2013 at 11:46 PM
I believe I first noticed the problem somewhere between Supernatural and University, though I'm not sure exactly when. I wonder if the issue is related to having so many of the EPs. I personally have all EPs and all but two SPs - I've also noticed that it takes a long time for outfits to load in CAS now, which is definitely linked to how many EPs and SPs I have. Now that I think of it, I also have lag issues when dragging styles in CAS.

The strange thing is, one might think this load time would improve if I lower the graphic options for this game, but they don't. It makes no difference what my settings are at. (I normally run them at high and have no other problems like this in the game.)
Test Subject
#4 Old 25th Jun 2013 at 10:56 AM
I'm running the game off a SSD and have 12gb ddr3 ram 4ghz i7 cpu with a 680gtx videocard.
I really don't think I should be seeing any lag at all.
And while it may have started before University? it was not enough to ruin my game play.
As it stands I have all the expansions packs and after University something has gone terrible wrong with Create a Style.

I doubt a patch will fix this anytime soon, the only thing I can think to do is install the expansion packs and test the game with each one till I see which one starts causing it and which one makes the game unplayable.

Have tested with no mods, no cc and no store items and it has no effect, custom patterns is very low, less then 15 or 20 I would say so that is not enough to cause it.
Test Subject
#5 Old 25th Jun 2013 at 9:35 PM
Was told to run fraps during my game and watch the fps, and when using Create a Style the fps are staying very high and do not move yet the game itself or the mouse becomes lagged and disappears or won't move right
cancel and get out of Create a Style and the mouse goes back to working fine.
Site Helper
#6 Old 25th Jun 2013 at 11:56 PM
What happens if you try with all the custom patterns temporarily removed? You might have a bad pattern.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Test Subject
#7 Old 26th Jun 2013 at 6:06 AM
I installed Island Paradise and tested without custom content and it made no differene really it was not as bad but it was still there.
Going into a new game and edit town right away and testing still shows the Create a Style to lag the mouse or cause it to disappear and during this time the fps for the game stays over 60fps sometimes as high 100fps or higher.
You would think with this kind of lag happening the fps would be dropping but they are not.

I've checked the games ram usage and cpu usage during Create a Style and it's not doing anything it should not be.

So I don't know what else to do except reinstall the game and check each expansion/patch one at a time till I find which one starts causing it or see if it goes away.
Test Subject
#8 Old 27th Jun 2013 at 12:48 AM
Running the game fully patched now, I waited to go to patch 1.55 as I kept seeing horror stories about it.
Create a Style is doing better, still lags a little but it stopped lagging to the point the Create a Style was not usable.

Nothing was changed on my end except installing the University expansion, and then Dragon Valley,
This is when the problem started and it was worse with Island Paradise, updating to patch 1.55 seems to have helped.

I still think the game is starting to reach it's limits and they will stop with the expansions and focus on The Sims 4 now.

The game has gotten to the point that games like Crysis 3, Farcry 3 and Skyrim etc etc all run better....
Test Subject
#9 Old 21st Aug 2014 at 11:12 AM
When in build/buy mode for dive lots and trying to change the ground by flatten/soften etc the game lags and freezes for a few seconds.
This is with fresh install and no mods.