Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

CAS Texture+Unitool v1.9.3569 r131 (Updated 9th October 2009 - Now works on OS X and Linux!)

by CTU Team Posted 18th Aug 2009 at 11:31 PM - Updated 27th Nov 2013 at 4:07 PM by Nysha

790 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 729 Feedback Posts, 60 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 6 of 32
Test Subject
#126 Old 24th Aug 2009 at 12:23 AM
Quote: Originally posted by VampireMike
Where's Delphy's tool that converts a .package into a Sims3Pack? :x

Anyone?
I can't see it e.e
Test Subject
#127 Old 24th Aug 2009 at 1:50 AM Last edited by jweslake : 24th Aug 2009 at 2:13 AM.
Mkay, I'm having issues getting this to work. Let me start off by saying I am on Vista (I read about .NET 2.0 being included in .NET 3.5 or w/e, because .NET 2.0 will not install on Vista), and I have the Direct X thing downloaded. I also read through all of the posts and didn't find anything helpful, although I could have missed something. I'm also using the most up to date version of the CTU. Oh, and I followed the install instructions and extracted both .rars into the same folder.

Okay, I downloaded the CTU and used it on a couple of hairs. All I wanted it for was to open up CC hair and check/uncheck the part categories. These first few hairs I used it on, it worked perfectly and nothing went wrong. Then, all of a sudden, it stopped working. I can open the files just fine, and it doesn't come up with a message or anything when I click "commit", but when I try to save it says:
Unhandled exception has occurred in your application... The process cannot access the file 'C:\...' because it is being used by another process.

I redownloaded to see if that would fix the problem, but nothing worked. So am I just doing something wrong? Oh, and it's worth noting, I do have UAC enabled but I copied the CC I wanted to use the program on into my Documents folder, so that can't be the problem.

ETA: Mkay, I just figured out a workaround. When I open the program, it lets me edit the first hair and save it without problems. But any hair after that, it has problems with. So I have to close the program. However, the error message carries over to the next time I open the program unless I close the program through File->Exit versus the little "x" in the corner. I have no idea why the happens.
Mother Function
retired moderator
#128 Old 24th Aug 2009 at 1:56 AM
Quote: Originally posted by jweslake
Okay, I downloaded the CTU and used it on a couple of hairs. All I wanted it for was to open up CC hair and check/uncheck the part categories. These first few hairs I used it on, it worked perfectly and nothing went wrong.

Um...I don't think the CTU was made to alter hair files, I believe you need DABOOBS to recategorize hair meshes.

"Holy Shift! Check out the asymptotes on that mother function!"
Scholar
#129 Old 24th Aug 2009 at 2:08 AM
Hysterical paroxism has done a good tutorial on hair in the creators forum. In it she lists all the tools you need to do the job. Good luck with that, I hear it's really difficult and we do need more hairstyles in the game.

Quote: Originally posted by jweslake
Mkay, I'm having issues getting this to work. Let me start off by saying I am on Vista (I read about .NET 2.0 being included in .NET 3.5 or w/e, because .NET 2.0 will not install on Vista), and I have the Direct X thing downloaded. I also read through all of the posts and didn't find anything helpful, although I could have missed something. I'm also using the most up to date version of the CTU. Oh, and I followed the install instructions and extracted both .rars into the same folder.

Okay, I downloaded the CTU and used it on a couple of hairs. All I wanted it for was to open up CC hair and check/uncheck the part categories. These first few hairs I used it on, it worked perfectly and nothing went wrong. Then, all of a sudden, it stopped working. I can open the files just fine, and it doesn't come up with a message or anything when I click "commit", but when I try to save it says:

Unhandled exception has occurred in your application... The process cannot access the file 'C:\...' because it is being used by another process.
[spoiler]See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

Anyone?
I can't see it e.e

Have you tried, downloads, programs and utilities?

http://www.modthesims.info/browse.p...showType=1&gs=2
Test Subject
#130 Old 24th Aug 2009 at 2:15 AM Last edited by jweslake : 24th Aug 2009 at 3:21 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by daluved1
Um...I don't think the CTU was made to alter hair files, I believe you need DABOOBS to recategorize hair meshes.

Oh, because I was over at MATY and I think Motoki said that's what he used. Thanks for the speedy responses guys. I did look at those tuts but I don't want to make hair, I just wanted to change the categories for it. Perhaps I didn't look close enough, I'll check it out again.

Perhaps I should clarify, I'm opening CC I have downloaded and changing the categories for them, not making my own. I already know how to do what I want, the program just wouldn't do it for me. For example, some CC hair I have is enabled for children, but when children wear it, it floats above their head and looks rediculous. So I used the program to make it unselectable for children. But, as said earlier, the program borks after editing and saving the first hair. Anyways, I found a workaround, I just have to work one hair at a time. I still have yet to test the files saved in-game, but that's why I have all of it already backed up.

ETA: I only have one question now, I realize hair for adults cannot be enabled for children/toddlers or it will float above their head, but can we enable it for teens, or will the same thing happen?

ETA: K, it has completely borked itself. No matter what I do it sends the same message, saying it is being used by another process. Save As does not work. I have no clue how I got it working the first or the second time. I managed to finish a bunch of the hairs I wanted, but I have a long way to go still. If anyone has any clue wtf is happening to mine, please let me know. I have tried everything I can think of, and I know I must have had it installed correctly or it wouldn't have worked in the first place. This tool has so many useful things I wish I could use it!
Test Subject
#131 Old 24th Aug 2009 at 3:33 AM
Quote: Originally posted by fluttereyes
Hysterical paroxism has done a good tutorial on hair in the creators forum. In it she lists all the tools you need to do the job. Good luck with that, I hear it's really difficult and we do need more hairstyles in the game.

Have you tried, downloads, programs and utilities?

http://www.modthesims.info/browse.p...showType=1&gs=2

Yeah but I don't know what it's called, I read the descriptions and couldn't see anything that says you can convert .package files into Sims3pack e.e
Mother Function
retired moderator
#132 Old 24th Aug 2009 at 3:37 AM
Yeah but I don't know what it's called, I read the descriptions and couldn't see anything that says you can convert .package files into Sims3pack e.e

All I've seen is one that goes from .Sims3Pack to .package, not the other way around =.='

"Holy Shift! Check out the asymptotes on that mother function!"
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#133 Old 24th Aug 2009 at 10:28 AM Last edited by Delphy : 24th Aug 2009 at 11:59 AM.
With regards to hair - you can use CTU to recategorise it, but not to actually make new hair in the first place.

jweslake: Thanks for the report. jonha got similar saving / permission denied errors in his development version but wasn't able to track them down. However, with a detailed report we should be able to track it down.

Edit: OKay I tracked down the bug and fixed it, so this will be in the next version.

I also modified the Extract Textures routine so that it also looks inside the SimGeom files and extracts the normalmaps, and also modified Extract Meshes so that it uses the VPXY similar to the 3d render view, to find the meshes.

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Test Subject
#134 Old 24th Aug 2009 at 1:20 PM
When i try and recategorise clothes i often get an error message when trying to save that the file is in use by another programme . I do not have anything running that would use these files at the time
Lab Assistant
#135 Old 24th Aug 2009 at 2:17 PM
Another error when trying to save:

Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection. Parameter name: index

I try to take one day at a time, but lately several days have been attacking me at once.

Owner - Sublime Sims - www.sublimesims.net
Test Subject
#136 Old 24th Aug 2009 at 4:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by candybear
Are you trying to do this with a clothing item? If so, you can do it from within the game, so long as there no custom mesh inside the package file.

Steps:

1. Place the package file in the usual place - C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Mods\Packages

2. Load up the game and go to create a sim

3. Select the the item and change the color (It only has to be a slight change)

4. Save that as custom color

5. Click on share (This will package that item as a sim3pack item and place it in - C:\Documents and Settings\My Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Exports

Now in saying all that I believe that TSR Workshp spits everything out as a sims3pack file but I don't know for sure because I don't use it and I prefer CTU.

I hope that helps

That only works for Sims, not sure about textures, but anything with stencils on them doesn't.
I created 2 nWo shirts from the old WCW days using Delphy's tool, then I tried what you suggested before you suggested it anyway, and then to test it completely I deleted the nWo Shirts.package file then installed the nWo shirts through the Sims3Pack, which then I got a message saying an update was needed.
Then I decided to re-add the nWo Shirt.package file, then install the nWo Shirts sims3packs and then delete the nWo Shirts.package file and it didn't appear on the game at all.
Test Subject
#137 Old 24th Aug 2009 at 7:37 PM
That only works for Sims, not sure about textures, but anything with stencils on them doesn't.
I created 2 nWo shirts from the old WCW days using Delphy's tool, then I tried what you suggested before you suggested it anyway, and then to test it completely I deleted the nWo Shirts.package file then installed the nWo shirts through the Sims3Pack, which then I got a message saying an update was needed.
Then I decided to re-add the nWo Shirt.package file, then install the nWo Shirts sims3packs and then delete the nWo Shirts.package file and it didn't appear on the game at all.

I just tried it myself again, with both a stenciled TShirt and a new texture and I didn't have a problem. I have done this several time in the past as well and it's never caused me any grief.

Hmm... Well I am afraid I cannot help you. Sorry.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#138 Old 24th Aug 2009 at 8:28 PM
Changes in v1.9.3523.36336 r102:
- Full HSV pattern support
- You must remove your xml\custompatterns.xml file prior to running 1.9 for the first time, if you are updating over the top of v1.8!
- You must clear your pattern cache folder to see the updated patterns!
- Hair preview
- Makeup now has specular applied
- Fixed normal mapping on skintones so lighting is now working
- Fixed bug with Saving files (File is open in another process)
- Fixed bug with custom meshes not saving properly in the .package
- Fixed bug with custom bumpmap not being put in the right position
- Fixed a lot of the paths so they (should) work on OS X now
- Fixed Costume Makeup not able to be edited properly
- Patterns now auto-commit automatically when changing the details
- 3d view now support pattern tiling parameters
- Texture keys can now be double clicked to automatically view them
- True/False parameters can now be double clicked to automatically switch them around
- Added right click menu for Editing and Viewing/Replacing
- Changed Extract Meshes so it now uses the VPXY to locate the mesh and any subsections (LOD_1_1, etc)
- Changed Extract Textures so it now extracts the bumpmaps from the meshes too
- Render view now loads in multiple parts (LOD_1_1, LOD_1_2, etc) and displays them
- Hide progress bar in bottom right when not being used
- Added status label in bottom right to indicate currently loaded mesh
- Minor bugfixes and enhancements.

Test Subject
#139 Old 24th Aug 2009 at 8:44 PM Last edited by VampireMike : 24th Aug 2009 at 8:58 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by candybear
I just tried it myself again, with both a stenciled TShirt and a new texture and I didn't have a problem. I have done this several time in the past as well and it's never caused me any grief.

Hmm... Well I am afraid I cannot help you. Sorry.

Yeah :s
I guess one last thing I could try is giving someone the Sims3pack and see if it works for them, which is mainly want I'm targetting for anyway, even though I can't get it to work right lol.

Oh by the way, Delphy may I ask you?
Do you or anyone know what the best 3D creating software is best for creating Sims 3 stuff?
I want to learn how to make 3D stuff for the Sims 3...I understand it wont be easy but I can try for nothing
Scholar
#140 Old 24th Aug 2009 at 9:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Delphy
Changes in v1.9.3523.36336 r102:
- Full HSV pattern support
- You must remove your xml\custompatterns.xml file prior to running 1.9 for the first time, if you are updating over the top of v1.8!
- You must clear your pattern cache folder to see the updated patterns!
- Hair preview
- Makeup now has specular applied
- Fixed normal mapping on skintones so lighting is now working
- Fixed bug with Saving files (File is open in another process)
- Fixed bug with custom meshes not saving properly in the .package
- Fixed bug with custom bumpmap not being put in the right position
- Fixed a lot of the paths so they (should) work on OS X now
- Fixed Costume Makeup not able to be edited properly
- Patterns now auto-commit automatically when changing the details
- 3d view now support pattern tiling parameters
- Texture keys can now be double clicked to automatically view them
- True/False parameters can now be double clicked to automatically switch them around
- Added right click menu for Editing and Viewing/Replacing
- Changed Extract Meshes so it now uses the VPXY to locate the mesh and any subsections (LOD_1_1, etc)
- Changed Extract Textures so it now extracts the bumpmaps from the meshes too
- Render view now loads in multiple parts (LOD_1_1, LOD_1_2, etc) and displays them
- Hide progress bar in bottom right when not being used
- Added status label in bottom right to indicate currently loaded mesh
- Minor bugfixes and enhancements.

Thanks for all your hard work Delphy. I can't wait to have a go with this.
Scholar
#141 Old 24th Aug 2009 at 9:36 PM
Yeah :s
I guess one last thing I could try is giving someone the Sims3pack and see if it works for them, which is mainly want I'm targetting for anyway, even though I can't get it to work right lol.

Oh by the way, Delphy may I ask you?
Do you or anyone know what the best 3D creating software is best for creating Sims 3 stuff?
I want to learn how to make 3D stuff for the Sims 3...I understand it wont be easy but I can try for nothing

Mike, have you tried searching the creator forum. On the main address bar you will see a button for create, then choose sims 3. You will find answers to all of your questions there. Also, reading full threads will help too, especially when it comes to creating. If you read tutorials they will tell you the best tools for the job right at the start too. Milkshape is the only real program to use for 3D editing as it's the only tool that has plug ins done by Wes Howe for sims 3. Please don't ask where to find it, lol. Try the creator forum and open up to a whole world of info

Good luck with your creations
Test Subject
#142 Old 24th Aug 2009 at 11:38 PM Last edited by jweslake : 25th Aug 2009 at 12:51 AM.
Thanks very much Delphy. I hope my error report helped.
ETA: No more problems for me. Thanks again. Just one question, howcome for some hairs the 3D preview doesn't show?
Test Subject
#143 Old 25th Aug 2009 at 12:43 AM
Quote: Originally posted by fluttereyes
Mike, have you tried searching the creator forum. On the main address bar you will see a button for create, then choose sims 3. You will find answers to all of your questions there. Also, reading full threads will help too, especially when it comes to creating. If you read tutorials they will tell you the best tools for the job right at the start too. Milkshape is the only real program to use for 3D editing as it's the only tool that has plug ins done by Wes Howe for sims 3. Please don't ask where to find it, lol. Try the creator forum and open up to a whole world of info

Good luck with your creations

Thanks muchly
Test Subject
#144 Old 25th Aug 2009 at 2:55 AM
Default Problems
Hi, guys! I am using CasParts even from the beggining and it works great! But I am having some problems with the latest 2 versions regarding the custom meshes.
It seams that CTU doesn't export the custom meshes files. I have downloaded and tried the last 1.9 version and I still have this problem.
I made a new project using a custom mesh but when I tried it in game the slider didn't worked. I investigated with Postal by comparison with other EA files and I observed the following: the vpxy parts for morphs are truncated and I think that the geom parts for the morphs are missing.
I already made some projects with custom meshes using CTU 1.8 versions (the ones from the forum) and had no problems except for the bump.

Is this an isolated case or has someone else had this problem?
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#145 Old 25th Aug 2009 at 9:21 AM
Lianaa: CTU uses the same method as DABOOBS for creating the special VPXYs - in other words, it copies the same way the Store does them, which uses those truncated files. I'm not sure what you mean by 'the slider didn't work'. Which slider? What about it didn't work?

jweslake: Hair is still a work in progress, but if you let us know which hairs, exactly, dont show up, we can take a look.

Test Subject
#146 Old 25th Aug 2009 at 10:53 AM
Delphy, I meant that when I make the sims fat or thin you can see the changes on the face but not on the clothing - in other words the morphs don't work.
Mad Poster
#147 Old 25th Aug 2009 at 2:44 PM
Hooray, we have face overlays again in the new 1.9 version, and it's working fine once again. Thank you!
Scholar
#148 Old 25th Aug 2009 at 3:00 PM
Delphy. On mine the thumbs don't always show up. Something I noticed in this edition and the last is that 3d doesn't always work either. It will be ticked for 3d but it will say it isn't initialised. I opened it to look at the makeup overlays that Esmerelda was talking about and it says 31 found but there are no thumbs at all. In the last one you could see the pics of the lippy, etc.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#149 Old 25th Aug 2009 at 10:44 PM
fluttereyes: When you first start the program it will always say the 3d view is not initialised - this is becuase there is no 3d model loaded. This is perfectly normal.

As for the thumbnails - I've tested this extensively on both my Windows box and under Linux with mono, and haven't encountered a single issue with the thumbnails not appearing. Try deleting the contents of your cache folder (located underneath the CTU folder) and see if it regenerates them.

Lianaa: I'll take a look at the fat/thin morphs and see if there is anything I can do. I assume you are talking about making the sim fat/thin in game rather than in CAS, right?

On a more serious, general, note... I've noticed the number of posts on this thread drop off substantially of late. Is everybody using the TSR Workshop or something, or are you waiting for new features or... what? jonha and I spend a lot of time on this program and I'd hate for people to only use it just to extract the meshes and textures and then immediately go use the TSR Workshop, as I have seen at least one person do.

Feedback is good - don't be afraid to post!

Test Subject
#150 Old 25th Aug 2009 at 11:12 PM
Yes, I meant that I can't make the sims thin-fat in Cas(create a family) in game. Thank you for looking into this, Delphy!
Page 6 of 32