Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Feb 2005 at 1:52 PM
Default Texture images for new meshes.
Can someone tell me how to do this?
I'm absolutely clueless on how to go about this. I see people talking about UV mapping or something, what is that?

All I know how to do now is to take the existing texture image from the object I've cloned and do solid colours cause I wouldn't know what appears where on the new mesh.

This might be a stupid question with an obvious answer but it never hurts to ask.

I'm working with Milkshape, btw, if that matters.

Edit: I've applied texture to the meshes in Milkshape but it never appears in the game and for some reason I can only do solid colours in MS, too.

"Studies show that 60% of the time, it works every time."
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 7th Feb 2005 at 3:10 PM
I'm not entirly sure about the capabilities of Milkshape but I think it should be able to do it. Try looking up textures in milkshapes help-section
Test Subject
#3 Old 7th Feb 2005 at 4:21 PM
Go into textures, and make a new one, and apply it to the group you're working on. Under the various settings (eg specularity), there's a few boxes labeled [none]. Hit the top left one, and apply your texture.

Select the faces/vertices you want to re-map.

Go Windows -> Texture Coordinate Editor.

Use the various controls to map the texture correctly (map take a bit of work)

Repeat for all faces of the group.

(This was written quickly, if you need a better explaination, just ask)

A foggy morning greets me quietly today
I smell a fragrance in the wind blowing my way
And ever further I run to find her
I yearn to define my life
Placing my faith in chance to meet me in half way
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 7th Feb 2005 at 4:41 PM
I didn't know about putting different images to different parts of the mesh, so thank you.

However, I don't understand how to import this into the texture image in SimPE and into the game. I've made texture images in Milkshape before and it didn't show up in the game..?
Explained kinda clumsy but I hope you get what I mean.
Scholar
#5 Old 8th Feb 2005 at 3:24 PM
Nemi, you can use the same image you used in MilkShape, but MilkShape is only using it for your convienience in texture-mapping the object.

You need to actually put in on in SimPE To put your new texture onto your new object, after doing the mesh importing procedure, you just go to the texture images section of your object, in SimPE and do it the same as if you were making a recolour.

For more info on the actual texture-mapping process, see this thread:
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=43471