Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
#51 Old 1st Nov 2006 at 6:14 AM
The most rewarding feature on this site is being able to post your work for all to see, and comment on it. The ranking system does this to a point. But without it, downloaders can leave their comments/thanks telling you if your work need improvement. I think overall it will help improve not only thise site, but also the post we make. Because people will be able to tell you what needs work, making you nod you head in agreement and improve your work, rather than give a low rating a keep your scratching your head as to how you could've improved your work any further.
I have one question though. If there is no rating system, will we all get trophies 'cause of the hard work we put into our posts?
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#52 Old 1st Nov 2006 at 9:10 AM
Good changes all around! Thank you for constantly revising the site and its features, standards etc to make it truly one of the best free sites on the planet. =)

Quote: Originally posted by Delphy
Another issue which has been growing is one of "Thanks posts". This is where, essentially, a download posts "Thanks this is great!" (or some variation thereof), and actual feedback or problems are lost within the massive amount of "Thanks" posts. No matter how great an item, we believe that it should be easy for the custom content creators to recieve actual, valid, feedback regarding any problems.

I think this problem of a great amount of "thanks" posts cluttering a thread mostly only happens in threads where the download is a game mod or a hacked object. It isn't an issue for most "straightforward" custom content such as clothes, makeup, etc. I actually didn't think this particular change was necessary, except maybe in the Game Modifications section of the Downloads forums.

For a long time, I've been a little perturbed by the "thanks" feature. It's a really nice feature to have because it's nice to be thanked for sharing a custom creation. But it isn't all that different from the "ratings" feature. I can't speak for others but I do tend to hit the "thanks" button before or after I download (and before I actually use the custom content in my game). As such, I'm not sure if the "thanks" feature is absolutely better than the "ratings" feature... it seems to be the case because it is right there, on the user profile of every post (where the poster is a custom content creator), where it says "xxx Thanks in xxx Posts". I've always wondered if it might not be a neater idea to include, instead, the number of downloads. Such as "xxx Downloads in xxx Posts". (Although that might be miscontrued as the creator having downloaded other people's items xxx times. XD)

No, I'm not saying we should do away with the "thanks" feature. (I like it. Please keep it. =3) I'm just wondering if there is some way of fine-tuning it as an indicator of how good/popular/appreciated a creator's work is. But I guess it's hard. Only a minority of people who download will actually bother to thank. Even so, I don't believe the number of "thanks" one gets is truly an indication of how good or bad an item is because I suspect that most of us who thank (the bigger majority of a tiny minority...? XD) do so before using the downloaded content in the game.

Just a few random thoughts. =)
Field Researcher
#53 Old 1st Nov 2006 at 9:50 AM
I think the division of feedback and thanks is an extremely good idea. I like to leave my gratitude in words, because just pressing the thanks button seems a little impersonal, but if a creator is looking for feedback it's easier for them. =D
Lab Assistant
#54 Old 1st Nov 2006 at 10:10 AM
Sound like great tweaks Delphy! Thanks for keeping us up to date on the changes. Like almost all the other tweaks, these should work wonderfully. They also seem well thought-out.

Valui ad satanam in computatrum meum invocandum

Simmer Romanus2 - My Yahoo! Group

Requests of Roman items taken. My NON-adult items are FREE to use, as long as they remain FREE! (NO PAY SITES!) I'd appreciate a link back, or a mention, but it's not needed. :D
Instructor
#55 Old 1st Nov 2006 at 10:34 AM
I think getting rid of the stars is a great idea. As much as I loved to see high ratings on my stuff, realistically I know some of my things are better than others-yet the ratings didn't reflect that. Although I am careful to only upload only the best I know how to do at the time here.

Question: Delphy mentioned that a better idea of the quality of an item is the number of downloads and the number of thanks an item or set receives. What is a benchmark for people to use for both downloads and thanks? More than 500 downloads if the item has been up for a week? More than 1,000? I consider an item successful if it has been downloaded at least 500 times, but is that realistic?

Cogito ergo nupta non sum.
Instructor
#56 Old 1st Nov 2006 at 10:40 AM
I'm glad that everybody is starting to make sense. I would also be glad if posts were automatically shaped to the size of the message. Sometimes the pics on the left corner are much bigger than the words on the right. And phrases as "don't forget to press the Thank you Button", depress me. Yeah, I know I should keep my mouth shut.
Thank you.
Scholar
#57 Old 1st Nov 2006 at 12:20 PM
What an amazing idea!

Thank you!

Paladins/SimWardrobes downloads: https://simfileshare.net/folder/87849/
Field Researcher
#58 Old 1st Nov 2006 at 1:54 PM
i think is a good change
thanks so much for made this site as well
Lab Assistant
#59 Old 1st Nov 2006 at 4:00 PM
good changes - it wasn't helpful to have the ratings anymore, so why not free up the space and declutter what you are looking at, and it is good to be able to say thanks to those who make a download you like, but even better for the creator to be able to see if something needs to be fixed. it's the best of both worlds! :-)

love is more thicker than forget/more thinner than recall
more seldom than a wave is wet/more frequent than to fail/it is most mad and moonly/and less it shall unbe
than all the sea which only/is deeper than the sea
*e e cummings*
Mad Poster
#60 Old 1st Nov 2006 at 4:26 PM
May there be "I back that; I support that; I agree with that" post for site news forum?
lol just kidding.
Field Researcher
#61 Old 1st Nov 2006 at 4:51 PM Last edited by NessyOriginal : 1st Nov 2006 at 5:04 PM.
I don't like the new system, because the people that donwload the archives in majory don't say thanks, before the people that don't want make thanks had the possibilite to vote, I don't know this way how can go.

For me the stars was important, because I don't win money with this of course that not, but this way I saw if the sim like to the people or not, and this give me motives to continue working good, inside my possibilitys, there are people very good that don't have programs so goods or aren't professionals for make greats uploads for featured, and I think that the stars motivated all this people, I think, I trust in this web, but I know that few people say thanks, only this. Sorry.

See you
Alchemist
#62 Old 1st Nov 2006 at 6:12 PM
I think it is good to remove star ratings. Few members abused star ratings to give one star or two stars because they may be jealous or don't like creators. Some members rated first before testing their stuff in their games. Some members rates high to be nice to creators without testing their stuff in their games. No more meanies!

Update: July 2009-I am back now to make invisible and tranparent recolors again in sims 2. You can pm me if you want your objects to be invisible and transparent from now.
Field Researcher
#63 Old 1st Nov 2006 at 6:22 PM Last edited by NessyOriginal : 1st Nov 2006 at 6:30 PM.
Yes this is truth pfish

I think that the best way is every download is a one thanks, because there are people that don't say thanks never, I think that this is unpolite, every upload is a work and sharing between people, every upload is time spend in something that is a hobby, but I think that say thanks isn't so hard, is it?

See you
Alchemist
#64 Old 1st Nov 2006 at 6:43 PM
I agree with you, NessyOriginal.

It is so weird to see no stars in download section.

Update: July 2009-I am back now to make invisible and tranparent recolors again in sims 2. You can pm me if you want your objects to be invisible and transparent from now.
Mad Poster
#65 Old 1st Nov 2006 at 6:49 PM
Nessy, I agree with you, read my 1st post the #19

You know a site allowing re-upload of free build/buy stuff in lots ? Help us to update the list !

* Plus j'échoue plus je m'approche de la réussite
* The more I fail the more I approach the success

(Lao patul MMVI AD)
Field Researcher
#66 Old 1st Nov 2006 at 7:26 PM
I really love these change in the layout and rating systems! Brillant! :D
Field Researcher
#67 Old 1st Nov 2006 at 8:24 PM
Thanks, I'm agree with you too

I red your first post Patul and Yes I so agree with you
Forum Resident
#68 Old 1st Nov 2006 at 8:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Khaibit
Why, Sizza?
There're already featured creators, featured DLs, sometimes even different tastes, own opinions... :D
You can try items out on your own, the 'thanked' option is a hint and - I don't know how othes think about this but I myself don't like to be told what I have to think / how I have to like or dislike things but I prefer to try on my own and have my own opinion... maybe the one or another modder thinks the same and maybe this is even one of the reasons why MTS2 is one of the best TS2- websites available... maybe I'm wrong and it would become a lot better if the moderators would tell us our opinions (Delphy would have to tell them theirs of course ) All of us would agree with each other and maybe... maybe this could even cause peace on earth? Beautiful, I want that!
(Serious: I just asked myself if it could happen that the quality control could be overstressed - you keep the essence in mind, Delphy, do you?)

You're right, but I was thinking about moderators-rating on houses, and possably sims, too. Those are stuff that, in my opinion, mostly needs training to do well. Not like hair and stuff, where, yes different tastes and opinion come in the matter
Test Subject
#69 Old 1st Nov 2006 at 8:51 PM
Hiya delphy....
i think the new system is better. It also is more clearer to how a good a download is

Thanks
Chrissie
Field Researcher
#70 Old 1st Nov 2006 at 9:33 PM
I don't know If I understand badly, but I try to know it, ok I have a question, the quality, then now is currently about the downloads? I don't understand, because the number of downloads is from the type of upload that is. The hairs and skins have so much downloads because are a important pieces for make sims. The same with clothes, etc. The quality about where it go?

I don't understand it
Mad Poster
#71 Old 1st Nov 2006 at 10:20 PM
Nessy, actually the best way to see if your upload is any good is to look at the rate of thread views vs. number of downloads. If you got the people to look at your thread and download something, I think that's far better than any star system. If there is something wrong with the upload there will certainly be at least one complaint. And you just can't judge something by number of stars alone, simply because like so many other said, people give the stars when they download. How can you know before testing something in game if it is any good? There are some modders like Numenor or Exnem, or Mod Squad whom you know to post highest quality stuff, but with so many beginners you just can't be certain by star system alone. You might miss out on something you like simply because someone downgraded it for some obscure reason. Besides, wouldn't you like it more to judge for yourself if you like something or not?
Mad Poster
#72 Old 1st Nov 2006 at 10:33 PM
I agree with you crocobaura, perhaps because I know what i want, and what may be useful for my game or for my uploads, I have the personal care products set from you but not the chemistry set for example (not yet ?). Everybody is not an old TS2 soldier like us !

People want to be helped in their choice, the stars was a help, I understand that they lost a way to make their choice.

You know a site allowing re-upload of free build/buy stuff in lots ? Help us to update the list !

* Plus j'échoue plus je m'approche de la réussite
* The more I fail the more I approach the success

(Lao patul MMVI AD)
Instructor
#73 Old 1st Nov 2006 at 10:45 PM
Great changes, I doubt many people will miss the rating system, I never even used it. I always measured a download by the number of thanks and replies. If it has over 200 thanks and alot og replies it's probably really good.
Instructor
#74 Old 1st Nov 2006 at 11:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sizza
You're right, but I was thinking about moderators-rating on houses, and possably sims, too. Those are stuff that, in my opinion, mostly needs training to do well. Not like hair and stuff, where, yes different tastes and opinion come in the matter

Ok, I see... but (argh, sorry, I have to "but") isn't there already an Upload Approval, even with required ingame screenshots? (can be wrong, didn't really upload yet. I will when I think it's worth being shared - and I am sophisticated when it's about my creations.) It's quite a lot of work to install everything in your game - in this case this would be required - just because you are a moderator and you have to judge about someone else's creation: is it's worth being shared, uploaded to MTS2?
To avoid a rating which depends on the personal taste of the moderator (reminds me of: judge X is a fair one but judge Y takes rigorous steps, beware!) a rating system by some points of criteria and a 'score list' could be helpful... and could cause a new job: moderator! 8/5 a week you don't have to do anything else but rating and moderating MTS2... a paysite!

The most important "rating sytem" is the creator oneself - if one is sophisticated, critical enough and honest to oneself one won't try to upload until one thinks it's worth a try - and in this case one wouldn't upload just because of uploading stuff...
I do agree with you that esp. houses and Sims are difficult to create and accordingly sometimes appoved uploads do need more work but (yes, another but, sorry) in this case the moderator who took a look at the screenshots could tell the creator to revise it and/or if approved a gentle question could be helpful, too.

Remember, it's about a hobby, for all of us, moderators, creators and downloaders. I suppse nobody wants a totalitarian rating system so there will always be the case that you just dislike the one or another upload - so what, noone forces you to DL it. Quality control is ok and improving it is fine but overstressing kills the fun factor... so I myself prefer the new rating system but the own opinion cannot be replaced by anything. And this does not mean that you have to tell the creator of the DL your opinion in a respectless way but you can let him/her know what could be improved - or do on your own I think this should be working fine... do you now have to "but"? Someone else?

Yes, I am serious though I'm not serious at all. I'm serious about this!
Even the joker can be deadly serious...
Wichtig ist, was hinten raus kommt!
Entscheidend daran ist, wie?
Field Researcher
#75 Old 1st Nov 2006 at 11:08 PM
I'm agree with you crocobaura, but, with this system is the same to testing in game, because the people must say thanks at moment that download the file and this is before use or testing in game. I say the same with replies sometimes there are 200 hundred replies but aren't 200 thanks or comments to say thanks. I think that this is really dificult for rated.

I miss so much the stars, is truth that aren't necessary but I don't trust so much in this system, the future thell me if I have reason or not. And yes I can know if my work like me or not, I'll do all I can always with everyone, but the number of views is independent to number of downloads and thanks, I think.
Page 3 of 6