Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#76 Old 18th Aug 2012 at 2:04 AM
Default great
I'm livin in a house right now..maybe later I will decide to move my family to apartement
Advertisement
Theorist
#77 Old 15th Nov 2012 at 7:20 PM
Are modular stairs OK to use in a two-level apt, provided they're used in a straight line, like the regular staircases? I mean, without using CFE or interior foundations, but just to take advantage of the 2-Sims capacity of modular stairs?
Or are they to be avoided entirely?

Also, is it OK to otherwise use interior foundations inside apartments , like for example at the faucet-end of a bathtub, as I like to do, like this:

Field Researcher
#78 Old 19th Dec 2012 at 12:58 PM
[QUOTE=ScaryRob]Are modular stairs OK to use in a two-level apt, provided they're used in a straight line, like the regular staircases? I mean, without using CFE or interior foundations, but just to take advantage of the 2-Sims capacity of modular stairs?
Or are they to be avoided entirely?[QUOTE]

I've not had any problem with straight modular stairs in apartments, and in one apartment I used and interior foundation for the stairs connecting the ground floor to the first floor, which works fine, but for some reason having modular stairs with an interior foundation from the first floor to second floor caused problems.

♫Cuz I don't have a home in this life, I have to roam. Got nowhere to lay my head, so I'll follow you instead, and set my gaze on the place I'm going to. Til then I'm homeless, but I'll roam with you...♫

My Simblr: http://natteryaktoad.tumblr.com
Theorist
#79 Old 19th Dec 2012 at 6:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by NatteryakToad
I've not had any problem with straight modular stairs in apartments, and in one apartment I used and interior foundation for the stairs connecting the ground floor to the first floor, which works fine, but for some reason having modular stairs with an interior foundation from the first floor to second floor caused problems.

Thanks for the info.
I still plan on doing a little testing regarding this.
Mad Poster
#80 Old 21st Dec 2012 at 5:50 AM
I've made single houses be a rental. You CAN get a roommate, but I haven't been able to have them actually added to the family; can't propose. Any ideas?

Renting is unrealistically expensive - whither an apartment or a house. I found out what happens if you don't pay rent (in a house - I never tried it in an apartment building). The landlord kept threatening to "send you a bill" - that didn't sound like a big deal to me. A long time passed before the repo-man showed up. By then my poor family owed over $5,000. They didn't have much (if they OWNED the house the repo-man would say "You really ARE poor! Get a jou you looser!"), but in the rental HOUSE he took everything except a bed someone was sleeping in! From the frig to a baby potty - nothing was left! Um, wonder what would happen if I snatched everything into someone's inventory?

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#81 Old 21st Dec 2012 at 10:44 AM
I had a family that had been threatened and had them dig up enough to cover their bill-this time, so i was wondering what would happen if they couldn't make it. Lol too funny, even the potty. Things grey out when the repo man shows up, and I'm not sure if you have a second before that happens or if it happens before he even appears.

I haven't tried internal foundation on any of my apartments. I did on one divide the bath off from the toilet with a floor edge and the tenets constantly have the want to buy a bathtub. They use their bathtub just fine, they just don't recognize that they already own one. Very frustrating as the want never goes away!

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#82 Old 1st Jan 2013 at 7:46 AM
That would be the "great divide" edger - it causes that area to become COMMUNAL. I just discovered it works like a WALL in some ways which are actually usefull; it blocks sound and "messes" (putting it around a crib keeps the baby from wakeing anyone up.)
"Internal foundation" - do you mean the "stage"? They work ok.

Lab Assistant
#83 Old 4th Jan 2013 at 7:34 PM
Default Apartment mailbox does not appear neighborhood view
I made an apartment. Everything seems okay. The apartment mailbox appears in Buy/Build Mode but...

... the Apartment mailbox does not appear in neighborhood view. The residential mailbox appears in "Neighborhood view" instead. But when I load the apartment the apartment mailbox is there.

Is this normal?
Mad Poster
#84 Old 4th Jan 2013 at 7:44 PM
No, but as long as the apartment works I wouldn't worry about it.

You might want to check your buy mode catalog and see if a mailbox appears there. A buyable or recolorable mailbox, possibly sneaking in with a downloaded lot, might have changed the way your mailbox works a little. It's the sort of thing that happens. Or it might just be One of Those Things and will go away on its own.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Lab Assistant
#85 Old 4th Jan 2013 at 8:17 PM
Thanks for your quick reply.

I don't have any custom apartments, mailboxes, trashcans, etc. or anything like that. I tested a family, and it works perfectly.

I built the apartment on a normal residential lot, then used the " changelotzoning apartmentbase " cheat, saved then exit to neighborhood. I wonder if I did anything wrong.
Theorist
#86 Old 4th Jan 2013 at 9:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Hellken
Thanks for your quick reply.

I don't have any custom apartments, mailboxes, trashcans, etc. or anything like that. I tested a family, and it works perfectly.

I built the apartment on a normal residential lot, then used the " changelotzoning apartmentbase " cheat, saved then exit to neighborhood. I wonder if I did anything wrong.

Try just moving the Lot to another spot in the 'hood, or just lift it up and set it down.
Lab Assistant
#87 Old 5th Jan 2013 at 8:58 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ScaryRob
Try just moving the Lot to another spot in the 'hood, or just lift it up and set it down.

That trick works for apartments with corrupt terrain but does not fix mailboxes. (I might be wrong).

----------------------------------------------------------

I found a solution to the problem! If the apartment mailbox appears in Buy/Build Mode when you load the apartment but does NOT appear in neighborhood view, here is what I did.

1) Open/load the apartment.
2) Open the cheat menu (Ctrl-Shift-C) and enter move_objects on
3) Put the apartment mailbox beside the trashcan.
4) VOILA! When you exit to neighborhood view, the mailbox appears!

PS I am not sure if this solution is safe if people are already in the apartment. Can someone confirm?
Site Helper
#88 Old 5th Jan 2013 at 4:22 PM
I believe that it's safe, but I doubt that the solution would work. When an apartment building is empty, you are editing the base lot. The base lot is the one which is displayed in the neighborhood view. However, once an apartment building is occupied, you are editing the (invisible) sublots which belong to the families. Even with cheats, there is no guarantee that the changes will be propagated to the base lot.
Theorist
#89 Old 5th Jan 2013 at 5:03 PM
Even though I've only got one apartment building uploaded, I've got another one done, except for playtesting, and will probably make more in the future.
I'm already in the habit of keeping an up-to-date residential version of all my apartment buildings. That means if there are any changes needed to an apartment building, I instead make the changes to the residential version and then convert that into an apartment building in the normal manner.
It's somewhat of a PITA, but it assures there are no glitches.
There are a lot of things about this game that are PITAs.
Test Subject
#90 Old 2nd Feb 2013 at 12:29 AM
Thanks for your help.
#91 Old 24th Feb 2013 at 9:26 PM
Say I have an apartment building. They are all decorated for the apartment townies. If I move my own family into one, the furniture will be gone. Then I decorate it again for this family. Eventually they move out. Now will this apartment be empty or revert to the furniture I had in it before?
Site Helper
#92 Old 24th Feb 2013 at 10:10 PM
Your newly decorated sublot will be deleted and the apartment will revert to the original furnishings. Sometimes, the game will copy new furnishings from the sublot back to the base lot, but that's not the standard game behavior.
#93 Old 24th Feb 2013 at 10:11 PM
Oh that's perfect! Because it'd be such a pain to redecorate.
Mad Poster
#94 Old 1st Mar 2013 at 3:58 PM
If I use staircases in apartments, straight staircases (or even straight modular ones) inside an apartment, will the top floor be disconnected and considered as not being part of the floor below? If so, does that mean that my only option is to use the spirals?

(I remember reading something about this, but can't remember where.)
Instructor
#95 Old 1st Mar 2013 at 4:42 PM
It is ok to use any stairs. Dynamite duplex that ships with the game uses modular stairs. It works fine. I remember something about a problem with stairs and backyards.
Lab Assistant
#96 Old 1st Mar 2013 at 6:33 PM
Modular stairs with a landing don't work in apartments: the second floor will count as common area and you won't be able to use it the way you should. By "landing" I mean connecting modular stairs with the stage tool.

And all the Naaru say I'm pretty fly for a Draenei!
LiveJournal - Tumblr
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#97 Old 1st Mar 2013 at 9:41 PM
I have both modular and regular straight ones in apartments I've built in game and both work fine. If I had been thinking when I built I would have only used modular as the straight are a pain with sims constantly waving an arm and whining "I can't use the stairs because of his/her big butt!" Maxis and their straight stair coding.

Has anyone built a pseudo apartment? I've built a retirement home for upload and I've used the dorm room doors. I'm going to test it today, but just wondering will these work outside of a uni to make private rooms or if I will have to change it into an apartment to get the effect I want? I think it should be switchable to an apartment as I've built inside apartments before. Again I'd test that as well, as apartments are tricky little beasts.

It's possible to get around foundation and backyard troubles by using the invisible fence. I haven't really settled down to try and figure it ut yet, but I’ve read over the tutorial on here some months back and I mean to try it out one day. I bet it could be used for stage and stairs troubles as well.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
#98 Old 2nd Mar 2013 at 4:25 AM
Quote: Originally posted by grammapat
FYI: it IS possible to make a restaurant in the apt building, with the added bonus of a restaurant employee running to your apartment to clean up a dish or newspaper! Sort of becomes a nice HOTEL!

How do I do it?
Mad Poster
#99 Old 4th Mar 2013 at 12:56 AM
Start building (as usual) as a residential lot. Then change to community to have access to restaurant stuff. I like to make high-end loft apartments with a restaurant, gym, indoor swimming,etc on first floor. The waiter will come to your apartment even pick up a coffee cup! (they just walk in, like a maid). Then change to apartment (although I am still haveing problems changing lot zoning, or changing things after I've changed to apartment zone). I also like to build SLUM or old fashioned rooming houses: tiny apartments, one bathroom on each floor, everyone has to go to the restaurant to eat, but the game room is always packed.

Theorist
#100 Old 4th Mar 2013 at 5:27 PM
Is it normal to have several identical apartments rent for slightly different prices?

I just finished an apartment Lot of 10 identical units. They are fully furnished and decorated 100% the same, yet all the ones on one side of the building are one price while all the ones on the other side of the building are a slightly different price.
The apartments are not mirrored versions of each other, but are identical (in all respects).

Is the price difference typical?
Is there a reason for it?

Just wondering.
Page 4 of 7