Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Dec 2008 at 11:52 PM
"Can't support the weight" error. Why?
I've been trying for hours to get the roof to work on house I'm designing. There doesn't seem to be any reason why it shouldn't work and yet whenever I try to drag the roof tool over the place where I want the roof, it gives me the error message "Can't support the weight". I haven't used split levels or anything and all the stairs etc. are just plain Maxis stairs (e.g. nothing's downloaded). It's a massive house (largest lot size and 4 floors incl. basement) I've tried the moveobjects cheat and it hasn't made a difference and I've also tried filling every available space in the house with columns in an attempt to support the roof then delete them later, but no luck... HELP PLEASE??!!
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 9th Dec 2008 at 2:21 AM
You are probably dragging the edge beyond a wall at one of the corners. You can temporarily add floor tiles or a column to give the roof the support it demands when placing. I've never had any identifiable problems when I delete tiles or columns after the roof has been placed.

Retired from the Sims world. Please continue to enjoy my creations. Thank you to everyone who helped -- by either giving me the tools and knowledge to create or by encouraging me & downloading my creations. The Sims community is the BEST!
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#3 Old 9th Dec 2008 at 2:23 AM
Try with a different camera angle, perhaps – I sometimes get this when the cursor inadvertently ends up on a different level than it started at.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Field Researcher
#4 Old 9th Dec 2008 at 2:47 AM
If possible, try to make your roof in two parts instead of one. I get that same error message sometimes when I´m trying to make large roof by draging only once.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 9th Dec 2008 at 3:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by bluetexasbonnie
You are probably dragging the edge beyond a wall at one of the corners. You can temporarily add floor tiles or a column to give the roof the support it demands when placing. I've never had any identifiable problems when I delete tiles or columns after the roof has been placed.

I'm not dragging beyond the wall and adding the columns didnt work.. (adding the columns has for once made absolutely no difference at all) deleting the columns isn't a problem. It's just that having them there isn't making a difference.
And the cursor isn't changing floors on the house either.
Any other ideas?
Field Researcher
#6 Old 9th Dec 2008 at 9:17 AM
Have you used "boolprop constrainfloorelevation"-cheat in your lot? Have you checked there are not invisible variations in height?
Top Secret Researcher
#7 Old 9th Dec 2008 at 11:18 AM
There 'must' be something not quite complete about your walls. Try this:

1. If you have roofs in place that are 'right', toggle lock roofs.
2. Use Maxis auto roof tool to roof (doesn't matter which one).
3. Examine building carefully to see where roofs didn't go. Then look at that area to see if you can find the problem. DON'T fix the problem yet.
4. CTL-z to undo auto-roofs
5. Now fix the problem.
6. Try placing your roof like you really wanted it to begin with. Repeat as necessary.

On large or complex houses I sometimes need to do this a few times to figure it all out.

Retired from the Sims world. Please continue to enjoy my creations. Thank you to everyone who helped -- by either giving me the tools and knowledge to create or by encouraging me & downloading my creations. The Sims community is the BEST!
Test Subject
#8 Old 9th Dec 2008 at 8:35 PM
Sounds like a problem I had once when my building was 5 stories.
You might like to try is this cheat(when you've opened the lot):

SetHighestAllowedLevel X

X should be a number higher than 5 in your case. Good luck

Leonie
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 9th Dec 2008 at 9:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by qeen of dimonds
Sounds like a problem I had once when my building was 5 stories.
You might like to try is this cheat(when you've opened the lot):

SetHighestAllowedLevel X

X should be a number higher than 5 in your case. Good luck

(Sorry to sound like an idiot but) I've never played TS2 all that much so what's that code do? Does it do what it sounds like it should?

I think I sorted out my roof, thanks. I think I was intersecting a wall somewhere. It looks alright now anyway.
I really don't like the roofing on TS2. You build a roof somewhere and the roof overhangs make other things look weird (E.G. they go through walls and into other rooms etc. Whenever I've got a gable in my roof, it seems to have some overhang at the bottom of the gable from another piece of roof. This probably should be for another thread but:
How can the overhangs be fixed so as to not look silly and/or pop up in bad places?
Test Subject
#10 Old 9th Dec 2008 at 9:24 PM Last edited by qeen of dimonds : 9th Dec 2008 at 9:51 PM.
Happy to hear you solved your problem.

Yeah, the roofing is ugly!
I'm not satisfied with it either. In some lot's I've used the floor and angled it with the constrainfloor elevation cheat, but then it doesn't have any overhang, that looks stupid too. And it isn't weather prove, so one has to cope with that too. (There are solutions to that problem, but it's always hard to keep the right proportions.)
Well I guess the challange here is, to get the most out of the restrictions given by the game,

Edit:

Oops, sorry, you asked a question ...

Yeah, the game has the restriction of five building levels. With that cheat you can build higher.

Leonie
Top Secret Researcher
#11 Old 10th Dec 2008 at 1:29 AM
I hate Maxis roofs also. That is why I made these object based roof pieces. They are not a perfect solution - but give you some additional options.

Lab Assistant
#12 Old 10th Dec 2008 at 6:59 AM
maxis artists suck.. let's be honest.. there's a very good reason for these sites *grins happily and goes to look for more goodies*
Test Subject
#13 Old 10th Dec 2008 at 8:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by bluetexasbonnie
I hate Maxis roofs also. That is why I made these object based roof pieces. They are not a perfect solution - but give you some additional options.

Thanks soo much for this link, the roofs look great.
I'm going to put them in my game

Leonie
Locked thread | Locked by: ThreadMover Reason: Outdated / No Replies