Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in

Latest Site News

Creator Theme: Space! - posted on 8th Jul 2018 at 6:02 PM
Locked thread | Replies: 506 (Who?), Viewed: 113117 times. | Locked by: Numenor Reason: New tutorial: [url]http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=102356[/url]
Page 4 of 21
Lab Assistant
#76 Old 10th Dec 2004 at 1:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGiles
About the bedding, the weird texture that is yellow and orange and the sheets are purple... That's labeled "Template" and it might show you where the borders are so that you can line up your patterns right. I haven't looked at it too closely yet.

ETA: Yes, that template texture DOES show the cut-line, so it should help a great deal in making textures on the single bed line up right.

I allready got that worked out - the hard way... No it wasn't that hard, first bedding I did had a pattern so I could see on that one where the single bed was on the double... Couldn't belive my eyes first, I thought only the small bed on the photo was used for the single bed, wish it could have been like that...
Instructor
#77 Old 10th Dec 2004 at 1:45 AM
Quote:
ETA: The CRES flies are in Objects05.package, but I can't get a good look at them because the plugin is busted on the current version of SimPE. I get the following error message: Unknown Embedded RCOL Block cShapeRefNode

That is because the CRES Plugin isn't finished in the latest Version. I will put up something tonight that has an experimental CRES Editor!
Administrator of Loverat's Tea and Underpants
#78 Old 10th Dec 2004 at 1:57 AM
Oh goodie, Quaxi.

I don't know if I'll find anything useful in there, but it will be fun to look at it in something other than hex. I'm a complete idiot with hex. Thanks!

RG
Test Subject
#79 Old 10th Dec 2004 at 3:35 AM
Quote:
Yes, it appears to me that the trouble is that you've made your texture based on the TXTR for this object, but really you should extract the LIFO file for it, which is a larger image, and then TXTR Extractor will make the right image sizes.

Look for yourobjectname0_lifo... there will be one that says 1_lifo, and another that says 0_lifo. The 0 one is the largest image. Since your object is a chair, you'll find it in objects07.package

Luck!

RG

Quote:
There are some image files missing in your package, you have to replace the two lifo files with two imagefiles instead. You will need to add two more images, one that is 128x256 and one 256x512.
And also, the three first images should be 3x6. I had that problem myself but I had it solved by making the image 2x4 when importing it and then SimPE changed it to 3x6.

Ah, OK, I figured it was just something stupid on my part that was making it do that. Thanks for the help, I'll try that now and see what happens. :D
Test Subject
#80 Old 10th Dec 2004 at 4:01 AM
Well, I used TXTR extractor to make the txtr now, but now when I got to place the object, the game freezes. :confused: I've looked through the file and I can't see anything I did wrong, so I'm going to post it here and hope someone can help me again. Sorry, I'm not normally this dense, it's just that sims 2 hacking seems so much more complicated to me. Thanks in advance! :D
Download - please read all instructions before downloading any files!
File Type: rar djsbluestripechair2.rar (24.7 KB, 70 downloads) - View custom content
Lab Assistant
#81 Old 10th Dec 2004 at 4:09 AM
Quote:
I have still had no luck adding new texture options to an object that does not already have more than one option. I believe this has something to do with _cres.

Actually, you can find the proper cres name in the namemap for objects05 (whether or not you can actually editthe cres). Unfortunately, what I can't figure out is how to find the guid for the original object that should go in the created mmat, which seems to me to be the biggest problem with converting something else's mmat into an mmat for an object that doesn't have any of it's own..

But I may be off track here.
Instructor
Original Poster
#82 Old 10th Dec 2004 at 4:21 AM
Well. i like to help, but in this case to create a new MMAT for objects that don't have one, i think i'm off this discussion. If someone made a MMAT for the telescope, for example, and other person made also and both shared this file in different sites with different filename, we will have conflicts if we download both.

I think you guys have to take caution with this stuff to don't create more problems with the game. I think that we take a large step so far. But be warned because all this stuff is really new to us.
Lab Assistant
#83 Old 10th Dec 2004 at 4:29 AM
Well, Pinhead, we're already making clones of existing mmat's -- but they have their own instance number. In your example, both telescope mmats would point to the same guid (the correct one for the object, like the existing mmats do -- which is what we don't know here) and the correct cres file (as do dozens of new fridge ones, for example) but they would still have unique instance numbers that match up to the new texture. (just like the one's you're making now.)

I don't see any potential conflicts -- any that wouldn't happen with the process anyway. I'm the last person that wants to cause problems in someone's game. That's why I've stayed out of discussions about overrides and global hacks -- if there's a something I'm missing here, please explain it to me.
Instructor
Original Poster
#84 Old 10th Dec 2004 at 4:31 AM
I know that, but all the objects that have MMATs, all of them have one MMAT with Default Material set to TRUE. and the other colors are set to false. So, i think this is the problem.
Lab Assistant
#85 Old 10th Dec 2004 at 4:32 AM
Oh, wait. I see what you're saying. We'd have to add a default mmat for the original texture choice so they could choose it from the catalog.

That would be bad. Never mind.
#86 Old 10th Dec 2004 at 4:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfade
Well, I used TXTR extractor to make the txtr now, but now when I got to place the object, the game freezes. :confused: I've looked through the file and I can't see anything I did wrong, so I'm going to post it here and hope someone can help me again. Sorry, I'm not normally this dense, it's just that sims 2 hacking seems so much more complicated to me. Thanks in advance! :D

Jfade,

I can't tell you WHAT was wrong with your object, but I can tell you it has to do with the txtr.

I extracted just the largest version of your texture, and used txtr extractor to rebuild the TXTR. I changed nothing else in your package. All the numbers stayed the same. And it's fine. Before changing the txtr, however, it crashed my game just like yours.
Attached Images

Instructor
Original Poster
#87 Old 10th Dec 2004 at 4:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDS BriAnna
Oh, wait. I see what you're saying. We'd have to add a default mmat for the original texture choice so they could choose it from the catalog.

That would be bad. Never mind.

it's ok. I did't explain correctly before.
yes, i think we need to create a default for make other options to those objects that don't have mmat. so this is my worry about that.
Lab Assistant
#88 Old 10th Dec 2004 at 4:36 AM
Oh well, I guess the ugly toybox stays.. Thanks for explaining, Pinhead. You've been a great help to everyone.
Instructor
Original Poster
#89 Old 10th Dec 2004 at 4:41 AM
Quote:
Jfade,

I can't tell you WHAT was wrong with your object, but I can tell you it has to do with the txtr.

I extracted just the largest version of your texture, and used txtr extractor to rebuild the TXTR. I changed nothing else in your package. All the numbers stayed the same. And it's fine. Before changing the txtr, however, it crashed my game just like yours.

Yes! sometimes if you hit "Save" in Plugin view after replace the texture using the *.simpe edited by TXTR Extractor, the texture will get a bad compression (this is caused because DXT compression of SimPE isn't so good yet).
#90 Old 10th Dec 2004 at 4:41 AM
@WDS BriAnna:

I had no problem finding the correct name for the CRES. And no problem finding the GUID, either. Unless I'm crazy, it's simply the GUID for the original object. (OBJD) And there's a lovely list of those But having added the right GUID and the right CRES reference still doesn't make the game recognize that there's more than one texture instance. No change at all. So I'm still not sure what I've got wrong... it might be the Instance number for the MMAT. Or it might be something in the CRES file itself that tells the game to draw the options thumbnails. I just don't know. Could be something completely different.

ETA: Of course, BriAnnna, if you hate the toybox texture, you can simply REPLACE the default. That's easy enough to do :D

@Pinhead:

My thought is, if we can figure out how to make a default MMAT for one object, then we could make a default MMAT for all objects. Once we know how to do it, we could have a program that creates default MMATs for all catalog objects that don't have one. And these could all be put into one big fat package, and everybody would use these as a base for creating their new textures for those objects. It would be similar to the original Materials.package

Cheers,
RG
Instructor
Original Poster
#91 Old 10th Dec 2004 at 4:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDS BriAnna
Oh well, I guess the ugly toybox stays.. Thanks for explaining, Pinhead. You've been a great help to everyone.

thanks BriAnna.
btw, i like your work with custom contents!
i have some of your skins. they are great!
Instructor
Original Poster
#92 Old 10th Dec 2004 at 4:52 AM
RGiles, i was looking the telescope and it have 5 different GUIDs. LOL!
4 for each tile and one to the whole set. (i think)

i'm trying to study this things and if i get an idea i will post here for us to discuss together.
#93 Old 10th Dec 2004 at 5:04 AM
LOL! Yes, they do have more than one GUID, but it's clear which one is the base object by the name of it. Looking at multi-tiles object like beds or sofas that do have MMATs you can see which GUID is being referenced and it is always the one that has only the name of the object, nothing like (1,0) or Top Left.

If you learn anything interesting I'd love to hear it. I've been driving myself quite crazy with this and everytime I promise myself I'm going to stop I think of something new and have to try again. Eeeek!

RG
Instructor
Original Poster
#94 Old 10th Dec 2004 at 5:21 AM
I was looking in the Alienware package and i saw something that you will like to know.

In Geometric Node has a Reference (the second cDataListExtension) to tsDesignModeEnabled. This makes the game to create another thumbnail.

I was looking in telescope and the toy box and they don't have this. And i was looking in the GMND of counters and they have it.

So, for now, we can't edit this and we can't make new options to objects that don't have anther color.
#95 Old 10th Dec 2004 at 5:25 AM
VERY interesting, Pinhead. Thanks. I'll take a peak at a couple other objects that do not have texture options to confirm.
Field Researcher
#96 Old 10th Dec 2004 at 5:40 AM
Do I need a copy the package I want to edit file before I use Txt Editor? Do I have to get a copy of it using SimPe?
#97 Old 10th Dec 2004 at 6:04 AM
lobstergirl, I for one have no idea what you're asking
Lab Assistant
#98 Old 10th Dec 2004 at 7:13 AM
Pinhead, i got an idea, is there a way to change the colour of a light??? like on the maxis halloween lawn statues?????
#99 Old 10th Dec 2004 at 7:19 AM
Pinhead is right about the reference in Geometric Node. Excellent find. So far the only way to edit those is hex, and I'm not up to the task. My first attempt at adding it crashed the game (added it in the very wrong spot), and my second attempt had no effect. I assume that was because the default texture options are supposed to be listed there as well and I'm not confident of the format they are presented in... and my eyes hurt

But this did put us a step closer. So thank you again, pinhead. Good hunting.

RG
Instructor
Original Poster
#100 Old 10th Dec 2004 at 7:33 AM Last edited by pinhead : 10th Dec 2004 at 7:39 AM.
I think that i will wait maxis do this job... so many things to edit and i think that isn't so good have a big trouble editing those files. lol!
yep! the model have a reference there. and i found somewhere (i think was in shape) that have a reference to all that parts, including the default material... geezz..
Closed Thread
Page 4 of 21