Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Oct 2011 at 4:55 PM
Default Sims Medieval user made clothing and objects?
Now that the first adventure pack has been released, I am thinking of getting Sims Medieval. But it seems there isn't much community support for this game compared to when TS3 was release? I Googled a bit and couldn't really find any TS3 mod pages. There are modders like Shimrod and Simmodder99 who have made numerous 'hacks' and gameplay adjustment mods for SM, but what about custom clothing, skins, and objects? Is there a compilation of links to SM modding sites?
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 5th Oct 2011 at 3:20 PM
Nope, not yet. But there are at least a couple of sites devoted to making Sims Medieval stuff into Sims 3 stuff. Apparently there is a problem with the art style in TSM which makes creating custom stuff for the game very difficult. That's what I've been able to gather from reading various threads about the subject. Sorry. TSM is sort of the Cinderella (Still in the cinders stage.) of the Sims Games.

I like playing The Sims. I don't like to be played like a Sim.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 5th Oct 2011 at 4:29 PM Last edited by ripple : 5th Oct 2011 at 4:44 PM.
Do you happen to have links to some of those discussions? I'd like to know where the 'blockage' is. I am kind of shocked that there's so little in terms of custom content for this game. Apparently, there isn't even any way to upload content via anything like TS Exchange. As a spinoff of TS series, you'd think EA and Maxis would encourage modding of this game to help generate sales.
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 5th Oct 2011 at 4:48 PM
Just read through the modding threads here on the Medieval list. PM Grim Reefer or Shimrod, or Simmoder. There are several Modders on the thread and they have been busy keeping this game as interesting as is physically possible.

Here's one current right now. http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=457042

http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=457064
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=454991
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=456725

These are just a few.

As far as EA is concerned... Let's just say that I have become a non fan of EA with this game. From the lack of a real exchange, to the problems currently experienced by nearly everyone on their official forum, to the giant rabbit holes that the new "EP" only added to, to making it nearly impossible to get custom content done for this game, bugs in the quests, to yada, yada, yada. I am capable of extending the gripe session for hours and will resist the urge to truly vent my spleen about EA and this particular game. (Besides, I'm really bored by being bullied by EA schmoozers and totally tired of someone shrieking I should go back to playing Sims3.)

There are a number of things I really enjoy about this game, that's the really sick part. I like playing the game. What little there is of it I enjoy enough to actually give up sleep for, it's fun. But there is so much more potential for this game that EA has egregiously allowed to go to waste.

Time for someone else to take up the soap box because I am going to stop here.

Seriously, get a hold of Grimreefer and he can tell you more about the graphics problems involved with the custom content.
http://www.modthesims.info/m/3395902

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 5th Oct 2011 at 5:13 PM
Thanks for the links. What has the developers said so far about mods? Surely, users and modders have pressured them for a response about the lack of support for modding this game?
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 5th Oct 2011 at 6:27 PM Last edited by ladyskye : 5th Oct 2011 at 7:50 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by ripple
Thanks for the links. What has the developers said so far about mods? Surely, users and modders have pressured them for a response about the lack of support for modding this game?

There has been little response from the development team. I did not want to do this, but you did ask. Ok, this is where it gets sticky for EA schmoozers. This is from sad personal experience, is my opinion, and applies only to me BUT...

(DEEP BREATH, Rant begins! Be Warned. )

There was a whole bunch of talk at first on the official EA forum for this game. There were quite a few requests and complaints about the game in general. There were many, many complaints about the total lack of a build function, about the inability to save decorated buildings, about the fact that it was ludicrous to have a knight who wasn't mounted, about a number of bugs in the quests, bugs in the CAS, about how people wanted farmers, gardens, animals, horses, constant mentions about horses. The result was some of the most viscous bullying from members on the forum about and to the people making the requests I have ever seen. None of this was handled at all by EA. People were flamed at, screamed at to go play Sims3, and, a whole lot of other things, some pretty vile. You can say some really nasty stuff and still avoid the censors. No word by or from EA Moderators. Whole pages of threads simply disappeared, the contentious ones and the friendly ones. The people who were bullied simply left that list and never returned.

EA's response was to make a patch that took all the patterns out of the CAS limiting customization to simple coloring book recolors of their textures and even then you couldn't completely recolor a whole outfit. The quests were still buggy, some of them got worse. What they did in the patch was add makeup, sort of, and an ad for the next 'EP'. But that was much better than nothing. Some people didn't like what the patch did, uninstalled the game and then reinstalled without the patch.

In response to the requests on their official forum for more medieval professions, horses, fixing bugs, restoring patterns in CAS, EA released P&N complete with Johnny Depp and Captain Jack Sparrow's 18th century hat (to try to cash in on the release of Pirates 4 on DVD), totally abandoning the Medieval (albeit fantasy) theme that they were so pleased with. People talked about sea battles and pirate battles, nope, no such luck. They didn't even change the look of the single ship constantly at the dock, no new interactions with the dock. No horses, no new village, no way to change the current village, the same tired heroes, same tired buildings in the same immovable places, more bugs, more rabbit holes, really cool birds that do cool stuff, but really, after a while, just get in the way and don't require feeding or much of anything else. Everything still raggedy, patched, slashed, grubby, and dirty looking. No new professions, no animals, no gardens, no spinners, no weavers, no aging of children, in point of fact, nothing that their customers had spent pages and pages and pages of threads asking for. But, we got Johnny Depp, Johnny Depp make-up, a cool Johnny Depp pirate hat, Johnny Depp whiskers, and cool birds (coincidentally the parrots are the best and sadly are in themselves, a kind of rabbit hole), a hand full of new quests (which if you do them out of order, you have to start over to successfully complete the Ambition in Platinum), a few new pieces of furniture, a few more bugs, a nearly impossible achievement list, and more raggedy looking patched outfits, some snifty flesh revealing outfits, and some tattoos that might have been cool with other outfits but really don't fit into the game, and a couple of new traits. But the knight is still on foot, the King is still on foot, it still takes forever to get from one end of the kingdom to the other. Yada, yada, yada...

So EA really hasn't listened to their customers, has provided spotty customer service at best for problems encountered by their customers with this particular game, and as far as I know has provided no support whatsoever for modders or even giving them a clue what programs might work to mod with, doesn't seem interested in providing an exchange of any kind for TSM, and has relied on bullying from their supporters to control complaints on the threads on their own forum. (which has broken threads on it at least once a day.) It has been an adventure in disappointment for someone who has every single SIMS game that EA made. I expected better of them.

(DEEP BREATH here. End of Rant. )

Still, I enjoy the game, the feel of it, the principle of it. If I knew how, I would change it. But I don't.

Hey, EA got my $50 for the first game, $16 for the book, and $30 for the 'EP'. So they must have done something right, huh?

On the other hand, with Grim's core, I found out that with the buydebug on I can put a fish spawner on dry land and have my Sims fish in their front lawn. A little bizarre but kinda cool.

If you can figure out how to do custom tapestries, or furniture, or outfits, may the Elves, the Fairies, God, and all the Little Bitty Angels bless you.

Instructor
#7 Old 6th Oct 2011 at 2:38 AM
The lack of mods for this game isn't EA's fault. When TS3 came out everything was different from TS2. The difference is the number of players and modders who embraced The SIms 3. There are thousands of consistant modders for Sims 3. There are only a few here for TSM.

Also, most modders aren't coders. Most modders require coders to create tools to mod games. There are thousands of coders for TS3, but besides myself, I only know of a couple of people who even try to code for TSM.

I am trying to figure out how to create new objects for TSM, but I get little response from the things I discover. I have a Windows application, which I'm testing at the moment, that clones Medieval CASP objects. This seems to work for most clothes and hair. It is not working right now for accessories or eyebrows.

This tool in itself will only be useful if I can get people to use it. I have suggested ways to mod several parts of what my CASP cloner copies for you, but most people always say it's too hard. These things wont change with tools. If meshing and retexturing are too difficult for TSM modders, or hopeful modders, I don't know that the items you're looking for will ever exisist.

I am an artist as well as a coder, but there is only so much I can do. Besides, I think I have Adult ADD. I am trying to draw more people to TSM modding. Anyone interested can feel free to ask me questions. Sometimes I may seem like a jerk that thinks they know everything, but truely, I want to help people make mods for this game, because I still enjoy this game more than TS3.
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 7th Oct 2011 at 3:28 PM Last edited by ladyskye : 7th Oct 2011 at 4:39 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by grimreefer24601
The lack of mods for this game isn't EA's fault. When TS3 came out everything was different from TS2. The difference is the number of players and modders who embraced The SIms 3. There are thousands of consistant modders for Sims 3. There are only a few here for TSM.

Also, most modders aren't coders. Most modders require coders to create tools to mod games. There are thousands of coders for TS3, but besides myself, I only know of a couple of people who even try to code for TSM.

I am trying to figure out how to create new objects for TSM, but I get little response from the things I discover. I have a Windows application, which I'm testing at the moment, that clones Medieval CASP objects. This seems to work for most clothes and hair. It is not working right now for accessories or eyebrows.

This tool in itself will only be useful if I can get people to use it. I have suggested ways to mod several parts of what my CASP cloner copies for you, but most people always say it's too hard. These things wont change with tools. If meshing and retexturing are too difficult for TSM modders, or hopeful modders, I don't know that the items you're looking for will ever exisist.

I am an artist as well as a coder, but there is only so much I can do. Besides, I think I have Adult ADD. I am trying to draw more people to TSM modding. Anyone interested can feel free to ask me questions. Sometimes I may seem like a jerk that thinks they know everything, but truely, I want to help people make mods for this game, because I still enjoy this game more than TS3.

We shall agree to disagree, because I do find the fault squarely at EA's doorstep. For all the reasons that I stated above. You can add the fact that they failed to adequately use the S3 engine, didn't gauge the importance of the sandbox play that all Sims games featured, the build features that all Sims games featured, or even to utilize the simple features in S1. TS3 and TS2 players have been begging for Medieval worlds for years and the response was a game that can barely be called a SIMS game. The S3 community is not going to flock to a game that is more like a prequel to S1.

Add to that EA's unwillingness or inability to engage their customers regarding the problems, needs, or requests on their own forum or in customer service. Their approach to coding this game was clumsy at best, at worst, negligent (even though their people and graphics may be prettier). As different as S3 was from S2, there was enough familiarity left that the people who modded S2 made a few adjustments and then went on, by the hundreds, to mod S3. They cannot do that with this game. This game is so unlike most of the rest of the SIMS franchise that the majority of S2 and S3 modders couldn't give a fig about whether it survives as a game or not. They are busy modding TSM objects, outfits, and hair for S3. No one is at fault for that except for EA.

I do not notice where there is any indication that people on this forum think you are a jerk or even a know it all. You have given credit to others where it has been due. While you may be driven to find out what makes the game tick, and really want other modders to get involved, modding this game is not something that anyone can expect you to do on your own. Laudable perhaps, but not realistically feasible.

Those of us who can, will try not to let you down with a famine of confidence or lack of persistence. I play TS3 very little now. I may give it one last fling when Pets comes out, I passed on Generations. I always thought of TS3 more as anime, and wanted the customization of TS3 to be combined with TS2. But that's more of a personal preference.

We do appreciate everything you have done, and as one of the senior modders of this game, we will, as a community, continue to look to you for answers our questions. I enjoy this game a lot, but I want quite a bit more from it. I cannot sit back on my ancient, glorified, wrinkled butt and demand that others make it more fun for me when the company that made it, won't or can't.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 7th Oct 2011 at 4:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ladyskye
TS3 and TS2 players have been begging for Medieval worlds for years and the response was a game that can barely be called a SIMS game. The S3 community is not going to flock to a game that is more like a prequel to S1.

I think you nailed it right there. One of the immediate things I noticed about TSM is the lack of customization that we are accustomed to from previous TS games. I could not believe the screen that greeted me when I entered the castle for the first time--6 rooms and no way to build your own castle. In fact, lots and the associated features for home building is completely missing. You can gradually erect buildings but cannot customize their size and layout? This kind of engine limitations cannot be circumvented with mere mods or hacks, and I have to wonder what led to these design decisions, which sets the environment and conditions of possibility for whether a modding community will form behind the game or not. Everything is simplified, like the Sims' needs. 'Quests' are about the only new feature I enjoyed, but it's fairly restrictive unless you have access to the unlimited QP campaign. This game feels like it was designed for a console and intended to appeal to console players......
Test Subject
#10 Old 7th Oct 2011 at 5:29 PM
I can't mod at all (well, I can re-colour meshes really well, I'm a professional artist.. but can't mesh/milkshape or code. ^^; ), but I do have to say that if the lack of EA support, and lack of clothing mods are ignored.. it's my favourite Sims game yet. I wish that more people took to it, and dread that it may wind up being abandoned by EA due to it. Sims 3 is fun, and I love the new system but find that it just chuggs along on my computer, and the lag for nearly everything in it makes me dislike playing it.

I love so much about medieval, the humour of the quests, the feel of the setting, the sword fighting, the pick pocketing, the bards playing, the magic... it's all that I've ever wanted in a sims game and adore it. And, I suck at house building, and even decorating.. so I don't care about the lack of building and am happy to have pre-decorated homes that I can just tweak the furniture with to make it how I like. The 'having to walk everywhere' set up is a bit annoying, but compared to some sims cities it's a pretty small town so I don't mind it too much. I do really want some alternate sim building options though, and hoped that P&N would have had at least one more hero class and more then a couple of traits... but at the moment I'm more worried that P&N may be the only expansion ever for TSM. @.@

Now if only I could figure out how to get the hair/clothing conversions from sims 3 to TSM to work properly. :-/ I think that the P&N expansion added a new quirk to that, but I already had trouble getting that to work anyhow. ^^;
Test Subject
#11 Old 7th Oct 2011 at 9:04 PM
I think this isn't a matter of disagreeing. I think grimreefer and LadySkye are both right. The first one to blame is EA, however, the community wasn't as reactive to this game as we might have hoped (laying too much burden on very few talented people). We expect the community to be excellent, because that's the standard of all the previous Sims games. Can you really imagine playing the vanilla Sims game?

But that's what we've come to expect. This isn't the norm.

No, the norm is creating a complete game. Even Sims 3, for all it's code and intricacies, was an incomplete game. Alone, the gameplay is tedious (skill-raising and job chugging for everyone in the neighborhood gets old); the clothing, furniture and design are limited; the openings for improvement are glaring and obvious (necessitating the need for expansion packs). Depending on your play-style, it has about an hour to three weeks worth of play-time. That is very different from the five hours to three months worth (or longer) worth of playing that the community and the later expansions provides.

The problem with Sims Medieval is that it has 1/10 of what the base game Sims 3 had, and worse, it has very little community to mask it's deficiencies (and the deficiencies of the base Sim game). It was still a Sims game, intended for Sims players, and yet, on its own, couldn't even meet the basic playstyles of building and creating family trees. It is possible with the help of mods now to circumvent the genealogy and kids issues, but it wasn't included to be used in the base game. Eventually even my latest meticulously planned kingdom will glitch and all my efforts in planning and relationships will die. It's inevitable -- I'm not playing the game the way it was coded to be played.

The other playstyle (building) is very glaring. Frankly, I don't think the Sims Medieval people even looked at a picture of a real castle. It isn't even a fairy tale castle, like Neuschwanstein. It's a castle from Fischer Price, ages 5 and up. I don't need absolute historical accuracy in Sims, but they should have put some effort into it. At least, making the buildings from the same geographic area. Italianate, Bavarian, Tudor, Deutsch and a building that should have been French, but ended up as distorted as the Gauldi (without the detail, size or majesty) isn't a good building set. It's terrible. And the fact I can't even add rooms to the horribleness of it is frightening. Aesthetics aside, they didn't create buildings that were sized for the game. You never had room to place beds for families. There were awkwardly shaped rooms for the knight and spy (only division between the rooms for the knight). The game required fireplaces in every location, beds in every location....

There isn't a lot of gameplay either. Skills are pretty mute. It would be wiser to level up one hero and spend the RP on everyone else, than waste time with ten (especially for as many kingdoms as the game intended you to play). There are only interactions with their allocated items, the bath tub, the bed, their other sims, and a few over-sized rabbit holes. There is no horses, no jousting, no festivals, no farming, no actual hunting, and very few careers for NPCs. All quests consist of a hero talking to a number of NPCs who might send them to a rabbithole, ask for a couple of interactions (with objects or people), and then may reward them *usually only for the duration of the quest* with a semi-special item. Even though World Adventures does the exact same thing, it was more interactive. At least, you could go through dungeons and defeat traps and monsters. You didn't sit and wait and stare at the rabbit hole.

Sims Medieval is about as entertaining as Ambition's Time Travel Machine. What's the fun in staring at an object -- when I know I could've actually been in the time machine, in the medieval world, the caveman world, and the future world with my sim?
Instructor
#12 Old 7th Oct 2011 at 10:35 PM
I'm not trying to nit pick, because I ranted too, but this thread is about user made clothing, not what's right and wrong with the game. I've seen several threads go this route, so I'm restraining myself.

User made clothing has nothing to do with EA's code. It is possible to make all kinds of new clothes. Textures can be extracted with S3PE and edited in Photoshop, Geometry can be opened with Registered versions of MilkShape 1.85, and the references can be changed with any hex editor.

Truely the main difference between TS3 custom clothing and TSM custom clothing is a tool that sets the references for you. This is what my CASP Cloner does. Extracts the main editable resources and files that reference them, and makes files that can be loaded into S3PE to create new objects, not default replacements. This is still experimental, and may not work for all objects, but it replaces some of the clone tools used in the TS3 modding section.

It is clearly up to modders and hopeful modders to take the leap, and see what they can do. It's true this game isn't a popular as TS3, so we need as many players to try modding as possible.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#13 Old 7th Oct 2011 at 11:02 PM Last edited by ripple : 7th Oct 2011 at 11:23 PM.
I'm not trying to nit pick, because I ranted too, but this thread is about user made clothing, not what's right and wrong with the game. I've seen several threads go this route, so I'm restraining myself.

I understand. I was just asking off-handedly about why there is a lack of mods and modding tools since if I posted this question in a TS3 forum a few months after the release of the game, people would be pointing me to stickies and responding with links. I didn't mean to unleash a maelstrom. Sorry :p

The thing is, one of the great feature of TS1 was that they never had to release a 'Construction Set' for anything, because a stripped down version of the CS was already embedded in the game itself. Since then Maxis has realized one of the primary attraction for TS games is their 'moddability', so since TS2, they've done many things to encourage modding and resource/custom content sharing, so by TS3, we have the Exchange, we have official modding tools, and we have communities of modders and users built around that.

But in TSM, it feels like they are actually discouraging modding, like a step back, which is why I wonder if at any point in TSM's development, they might have entertained the idea of releasing this game on multiple platforms. Any PC game sequels or spinoffs that end up on console always exhibit these kinds of characteristics--simplified gameplay and limited moddability (like Dragon Age 2).

Sure, for a lot of PC games, the modding tools used for integrating custom content into the game are coded by users themselves, but those games are not being advertised as games where creating custom content is part of the game-play. So I do think EA/Maxis at least shoulder part of the responsibility in this regard. But I am not trying to assign 'blame' here, I really just wanted to try and understand EA/Maxis' 'design decisions', like why they don't allow players to customize buildings like lots (why they don't have lots to begin with....), why they didn't have horses (when it's implemented in TS3 via the Pets expansion), why TSM sims eat soup with their hands . Some of these things would be virtually impossible to remedy by mods (like lots), so it's more of a question of why the lack of support and encouragement for modding and custom content creations via such a limiting game engine, and less of a question of lack of interests from potential modders and meta-modders (who end up having to design mod tools from the ground up, as you have, rather than modify existing TS3 tools).

But at any rate, I think my original question has been answered.
Instructor
#14 Old 8th Oct 2011 at 1:31 AM
It truely is your thread, so any direction you want it to go is up to you. I think EA had high hopes for this game. I think the fact that we got the first "Adventure Pack" as soon as we did shows that EA must have been working on it since the release of the base game.

Who knows at this point if they are working on any other expansions or upgrades.

It seems to me EA tried to create a game somewhat different from TS3. I have seen mods that can be used to make TS3 seem more "medieval". Part of the reason I still like this game is because it's not TS3.

It seems, from the forums, that many people are unhappy with the direction they tried with medieval. I'm sure EA is keeping track of this, and if sales aren't good enough P&N may be the best we get.

While EA makes some terrible decisions, I am glad they took a chance here.

I can tell you, exterior shells can be edited with MilkShape and existing TS3 tools. Interior shells I believe are in the .world files, which can be opened with S3PE if renamed to .package files. These things I need to further investigate.

I've also added a simple demo to my CASP cloner that makes a new clothing object based off of amBodyKingCapeSword. The addition is only a sleightly longer cape, but it works.
Field Researcher
#15 Old 8th Oct 2011 at 2:24 PM
I've played TSM off and on for a few months and I enjoy it for a couple of weeks, then I get terribly bored with it. From the beginning I thought it was just a way to use The Sims franchise name to pull in customers. It really fails to be either the Sims or a real role playing game. There's no building, no real room for creativity, but the quests are silly and since virtually all of them end up in rabbitholes there's no excitement or sense of having done something.

I occasionally have nightmares about this being a sort of trial for what they want to do with Sims 4....
Test Subject
#16 Old 12th Jun 2013 at 6:21 PM
I wonder after all this time if it's possible to convert TS3 clothes to TSM, especially the Sims3Pack files.

Has anyone here found a way?

When I tried googling it, it seems everyone is more interested in transferring TSM stuff to TS3 than the other way around.

I have found a post that someone managed to get a custom dress in, but I have no idea how.
Scholar
#17 Old 12th Jun 2013 at 7:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SweetDalilah
I wonder after all this time if it's possible to convert TS3 clothes to TSM, especially the Sims3Pack files.

Has anyone here found a way?

When I tried googling it, it seems everyone is more interested in transferring TSM stuff to TS3 than the other way around.

I have found a post that someone managed to get a custom dress in, but I have no idea how.

You can edit the casp to get clothing in, but it won't fit right, there'll most likely be gaps at the neck and sometimes the arms will sit crooked or completely bent behind them. You can fix this if you know how to use milkshape.
You can just edit the casp to get TS3 hair in to TSM as well, but again, hair doesn't transfer too well either as TS3 sims have big fat heads, you'll occasionally find a good fit, but you'll need milkshape if you want it to look perfect, but the hair is easier than clothes to refit.
The kids hair seems to be about the same size though, which is nice for giving some much needed variation between them.
Test Subject
#18 Old 13th Jun 2013 at 2:17 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ChickieTeeta
You can edit the casp to get clothing in, but it won't fit right, there'll most likely be gaps at the neck and sometimes the arms will sit crooked or completely bent behind them. You can fix this if you know how to use milkshape.
You can just edit the casp to get TS3 hair in to TSM as well, but again, hair doesn't transfer too well either as TS3 sims have big fat heads, you'll occasionally find a good fit, but you'll need milkshape if you want it to look perfect, but the hair is easier than clothes to refit.
The kids hair seems to be about the same size though, which is nice for giving some much needed variation between them.

I had no idea how to convert casp, but thanks to you I found this tutorial. I'll try to get the clothes in, just to see how it looks like.

I have no idea about using milkshape, have you, or grimreefer managed to make any clothing items work properly (I saw that there's been some talk about it between you before)
Scholar
#19 Old 13th Jun 2013 at 2:46 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SweetDalilah
I had no idea how to convert casp, but thanks to you I found this tutorial. I'll try to get the clothes in, just to see how it looks like.

I have no idea about using milkshape, have you, or grimreefer managed to make any clothing items work properly (I saw that there's been some talk about it between you before)

Grim looks at it to help out others when they have problems, I don't think he has any desire to mesh any clothing himself, he'd like to see someone else do it based on his tutorial and help if it's needed.
My knowledge of milkshape is minimal, I only know the basics. I bought milkshape and then moved off in other directions shortly after.
The person here who's had the most experience and a successful edited mesh is Amaryll.
A re-texture can do wonders to liven up an already available mesh though, if you know how to do that.
Instructor
#20 Old 15th Jun 2013 at 9:30 AM
My best advice, due to the problems with making TS3 meshes work in Medieval, is to modify your own clothing. Really, I can make TS3 clothes work, with the right sources files, and plenty of time, but it's much easier to modify an existing TSM mesh to your preference.

As Chickie said, I don't have the desire to make many sets of medieval clothing right now. You all can imagine far more than I can. I made my tutorial to assist Custom clothing in TSM. Ts3 to TSM conversions don't work quite right, but my Custom Clothing Tutorial does, and it even has some info some TS3 modders would like.

You can, for the most part, make TS3 clothes into TSM clothes, but it will fail when you try to us morphs. I am trying to figure this out, but as is, it's best to make your new clothing based off of TSM clothing.
Test Subject
#21 Old 15th Jun 2013 at 11:58 PM
My best advice, due to the problems with making TS3 meshes work in Medieval, is to modify your own clothing. Really, I can make TS3 clothes work, with the right sources files, and plenty of time, but it's much easier to modify an existing TSM mesh to your preference.

As Chickie said, I don't have the desire to make many sets of medieval clothing right now. You all can imagine far more than I can. I made my tutorial to assist Custom clothing in TSM. Ts3 to TSM conversions don't work quite right, but my Custom Clothing Tutorial does, and it even has some info some TS3 modders would like.

You can, for the most part, make TS3 clothes into TSM clothes, but it will fail when you try to us morphs. I am trying to figure this out, but as is, it's best to make your new clothing based off of TSM clothing.

I created Daenerys Targaryen from GoT so I needed specific clothing for her, that I couldn't have made myself.

Now I have briefly looked at your Custom Clothing tutorial thread, and it seems pretty complicated only to change a print/design, so I cannot seem to imagine how hard would it be to to actually edit the shape/ size/ length etc. For example there aren't many sleeveless dresses in MTS, and my character mostly wears strap dresses, so it was much easier converting TS3 content than making my own.

Unfortunately this forum forbids sharing of converted items without author's permission, and there doesn't seem to be any TSM creators, so we won't get to see any custom content for this game.

It's a shame really, I have just started playing this game (due to playing Sims 3 for a bit and then going back to my Sims 2) and already see many lacks of content that could have been fixed if EA didn't abandon this game after 1 expansion.
They could have brought horses, dragons, and many other things, the list is endless.

Anyway I'd like to thank you and other modders like you who have brought at least some more things for as to enjoy in the game. I am using almost all of your mods I think :p
Test Subject
#22 Old 16th Jun 2013 at 11:13 AM
It's not that difficult to create a new CAS mesh, if you have any experience with creating such things for Sims 3, actually. Otherwise it might seem a bit overwhelming. I have had that feeling when I set out to learn modding for Sims 3, although that was in the time when there were hardly any tools available.

I'm afraid converting clothing meshes from Sims 3 won't be very rewarding. I suspect (I haven't tried, so I cannot confirm it) the morph problem could be solved by rebuilding the files using Mesh Tool Kit, but since in Sims 3 the shoes are seperate meshes whereas in SM they are part of the body you would have to create new meshes anyway.

I am curious, however: I have seen some people share converted store content for Sims 2. Does that mean we are allowed to share such conversions here as well? Was the point not to share converted CC without asking permission of the original creator?