Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#26 Old 24th Apr 2013 at 8:46 PM
fuck - swearing works
Advertisement
Scholar
Original Poster
#27 Old 24th Apr 2013 at 8:49 PM
I'm trying to keep it T-rated, you know?
One Minute Ninja'd
#28 Old 25th Apr 2013 at 12:36 AM
It's OK, it seems that most teens say fuck all the time these days anyway. And it's all the fault of the rapid and pervasive spread of social media.
Mad Poster
#29 Old 25th Apr 2013 at 1:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by mithrak_nl
1. Give away your dirty laundry as gift to visitors.
In the Sims universe, just like irl, sims love personal gifts. You can't get more personal then handing someone your dirty laundry. Same as irl. People take it very personal if you hand them your dirty laundry!

Speaking of, the girlfriend of one of my Sims was thrilled when he gave her a gift.

It was horse manure.
Instructor
#30 Old 25th Apr 2013 at 1:25 AM
I'm pretty sure most teens could teach us a thing or two about cursing.

I used to have my sims give nice gifts, but I then found out they react the same way to an apple seed as they do a new car. It's the thought that counts? But really, what's the the thought behind dirty laundry and horse manure? lol
Mad Poster
#31 Old 25th Apr 2013 at 1:28 AM
Well in my case it was because the guy was a horse breeder and the girlfriend was doing gardening. So there was some sensible, logical thought behind it (a miracle for my games). But still. All gift wrapped with a pretty bow and a FOR YOU, MY DARLING <3 IT IS HORSE SHIT is not the best way to avoid disappointment.
Scholar
#32 Old 25th Apr 2013 at 2:52 AM
Can you see what interaction they're doing when they're picking up and dropping clothes?
Scholar
Original Poster
#33 Old 25th Apr 2013 at 11:00 AM
Hmm, how would I see which action they're doing?
One Minute Ninja'd
#34 Old 25th Apr 2013 at 12:13 PM
What I find annoying is sending my sim, under my control, to do the laundry. Watching the sim go from room to room (I put hampers in all the bedrooms and baths if I can), collect most of the laundry, then drop it in the middle of the floor. They never even makes to the empty, welcoming washer to start the freaking load.
Scholar
Original Poster
#35 Old 25th Apr 2013 at 1:28 PM
Hmm... now the maid had started doing it even without a hamper, when I upgraded both machines to clean polymer injection O.o

Selling two perfectly good washing machines and buying non-upgraded ones instead seems to have made her able to do laundry again. Of course, still without a hamper.
Scholar
#36 Old 26th Apr 2013 at 12:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Moraelin
Hmm, how would I see which action they're doing?
If you have NRaas StoryProgression, you can turn on map tags for everyone and you should be able to see what they're doing when you mouseover their tag.

NRaas DebugEnabler has an option on its Sim menu 'Current Interaction' as well.

One of the laundry interactions (I think it's 'Do Laundry' off either the machine or hamper) has them collect all clothes and empty all hampers on the lot before they go to the washing machine. I skimmed the ITUNs for Do Laundry and Clean Up Lot and they all advertise at 200 to maids, neat sims, sims in a dorm, etc. Maybe lowering the advertising on the Clean Up Lot interactions to maids would make them choose the Do Laundry ones instead, and hopefully pick up everything before trying to put it in the machine.
Scholar
Original Poster
#37 Old 26th Apr 2013 at 1:18 AM
Hmm, not sure I want any story progression activated (I finally checked demographics and I'm at 105 custom sims in town now, and I mean people I made from scratch and colour-matched unique clothing for and all; I'd rather not have all that replaced with pasty-faced random-traits grandsons and immigrants), but debug enabler sounds good. Thanks for the tip.
Scholar
Original Poster
#38 Old 26th Apr 2013 at 3:10 AM Last edited by Moraelin : 26th Apr 2013 at 3:21 AM.
The interaction at least when picking them up again is:
DouglasVeiga.aMaidUtild+CleanUp+Definition, ClassMaid2

Edit: when dropping them back down it's:
Sims3.Gameplay.Objects.Miscellaneous.ClothingPileDry+PutDown+Definition, Sims3GameplayObjects

Setting the advertised value on the "do laundry" interaction doesn't seem to have helped any.

Hmm, maybe I should try with a butler too.

Edit: ok, for the butler, picking them up is:
Sims3.Gameplay.Objects.Miscellaneous.ClothingPileDry+CleanUp+Definition, Sims3GameplayObjects

Weird thing, though, is that it used to work...
Scholar
Original Poster
#39 Old 26th Apr 2013 at 4:03 AM
Hmm, using the debug enabler's "Test Interactions" option on the hamper, the following caught my eye:

Sims3.Gameplay.Objects.Miscellaneous.Hamper+DoLaundry+Definition
Do Laundry
User Directed = Pass
Autonomous = Def_TestFailed
Sims3.Gameplay.ObjectComponents.ComeAndSeeComponent+ComeAndSee+Definition
Check Out New Object
User Directed = Tuning_DisallowUserDirected
Autonomous = Pass

Now I have no idea what the fuck does Def_TestFailed even mean. There doesn't seem to be any documentation about that, or Google can't find it.

But if it means what I think it means, it would explain what I'm seeing with a butler, namely that it's not just a problem of tuning advertised values. The butler completely ignores a full hamper even if there's nothing else to do. It's as if the autonomous interaction just isn't there.

I hope some mod didn't disable the fucking hamper for shits and giggles...
Scholar
#40 Old 26th Apr 2013 at 8:32 AM
Might be worth checking your mods for culprits then, especially if it used to work.
Scholar
Original Poster
#41 Old 26th Apr 2013 at 3:41 PM
Well, thing is, that is what I've wasted the last week with. When I was saying that instead of playing the fucking game, I've been playing a stupid meta-game of finding workarounds for EA's bugs... and then for whatever got broken by the fix, it wasn't hyperbole. It's a pretty accurate statement. And I'm finding it increasingly difficult to rationalize playing with EA's dysfunctional turd instead of playing something that actually just works.

It's really not much fun to just remove something, start the game, see if it works, quit the game, remove something else, start the game again, etc.

At any rate, I'm at wit's end about what what could be causing it. It's obviously not disabled in some XML tuning, since that's not what its line says in that report, and also not what I can see with Retuner.

And I don't really have much in the way of script mods, other than NRaas, that I didn't already try removing and it made no difference.

My best guess is that at some point the game just went nuts with a pointer, it overwrote some value it shouldn't have, and now whatever is disabling the interaction is saved in my savegame.
Scholar
Original Poster
#42 Old 26th Apr 2013 at 4:44 PM
Oh. Heh.

It looks like it ONLY worked as long as I had AwesomeMod installed, with the automated Hand Of God option turned on. Which seems to pick up the clothes and dump them in the maid's inventory, bypassing the hamper altogether.

And sure enough, the last save before I removed AwesomeMod, is also the last save when the maid had just started a washing machine cycle autonomously.

So I guess I can stop looking for what mod was causing it. None was. It's just EA's game being broken, as usual. It was a mod that was keeping it working in spite of the bugs.
Scholar
Original Poster
#43 Old 26th Apr 2013 at 6:44 PM
Hmm... I suppose that with the washing machine upgrade, the maid wouldn't be able to do the laundry for a very long time.

TBH, though, I'm still not sure that the real underlying problem in my game is your script, though, since as I was saying, the butler and Neat room-mates do the same pick-drop-pick-drop dance. Plus, she does have Neat (I just checked with NRaas) and she still drops it when the hamper is full (though I HAVE seen her pocket the laundry every other run.) Conversely, without a hamper, I'm pretty positive that she still uses a washing machine even if I have the buff. But you're the expert.

Still, any scripted way to bypass this problem would be very much appreciated. As I was saying, I'm pretty much at wit's end. (Not that it was a long road to the end of my wit, mind you)

That said, I suppose waiting until the buff has ended isn't a bad idea for small families and/or the unmodded game. It's just that in my game there are nine horny girls woohooing each other at the drop of a hat (including the butler and my alcoholic fairy), and they'll produce a hamper worth of clothes within hours. They're not going to wait until the buff has ended to dump another pair of clothes piles next to a double bed or shower :p

At any rate, many thanks for the assistance.
Scholar
Original Poster
#44 Old 27th Apr 2013 at 9:11 AM
Hmm, just as a wild idea, I wonder if what happens is that the hamper isn't exactly full, but is too full for the number of clothes being brought. Like, say, there's still room for 2 piles of clothes, but the butler/maid/whatever is bringing 4.
Scholar
#45 Old 27th Apr 2013 at 10:31 AM
Honestly, I don't bother with hired help. I find it easier to just queue Do Laundry on whoever's not busy and upgrade plumbing to be self cleaning (and when fixed by a sim with the Handiness plumber challenge completed, they're unbreakable as well). Electronics either get made Unbreakable or just get fixed whenever they happen to break.

Otherwise I'd probably never play either.
Scholar
Original Poster
#46 Old 27th Apr 2013 at 11:38 AM Last edited by Moraelin : 27th Apr 2013 at 11:48 AM.
Well, the idea definitely has merit, and normally I would take that route by now. Only problem is that I've got only 1 controllable sim and 7 NPC room-mates. If I start cleaning and fixing after them, then I need to BE a full time maid or butler myself. I mean, seriously, half the time they drop more clothes or empty dishes or whatnot before the current round of picking clothes is finished. It really needs a full time maid, and either I hire one or I play one. Which, honestly, isn't very tempting. For me, anyway.

Edit: that said, really only the hamper seems to be a problem, and only the maid or butler run into that. The other hired help, which in my case means Douglasveiga's chef and gardener haven't run into any problems yet. And really, I don't think I could live without them by now. The gardener alone is invaluable, given how many plants I have in the back yard to cover all the chef's recipes, plus let my vampire fairy get her steady supply of plasma wine. At any rate, they never did anything stupid yet.
Page 2 of 2