Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Oct 2010 at 3:56 AM
Default Sims3pack
Hi!
I would like to make a mesh using a piece of clothing of the sets of the Sims 3 Store but I don't know how to do for to open it in CTU or TSRW.
There is a way to do this?
There is a program wich allows to see each of pieces of clothing existing in the sets?

I really do apreciate any help.

Thank you!
Advertisement
Banned
#2 Old 14th Oct 2010 at 2:21 AM
Sockpuppet
#3 Old 14th Oct 2010 at 4:49 AM
Be warned visiting Maty
Screenshots
Scholar
Original Poster
#4 Old 15th Oct 2010 at 2:15 AM
Thank you Tjstreak and Base by your hint and warning!

So, instead the Maty's program, there is another one which will extract sims3pack from a set?

I'm thinking to make a thing:

to copy and paste the set to another folder; convert the set to .package using Sims3pack Muktinstaler; try to open the files in the Postal.

What do you think?
Field Researcher
#5 Old 15th Oct 2010 at 2:17 AM Last edited by potatoehead : 15th Oct 2010 at 2:28 AM.
Oh, don't worry about MATY. It's entirely safe. Comodo is just stupid.

ETA: Ooh, phising. This must be because of the homepage with the fake $39.99 subscription. You'd really have to be pretty stupid to believe that it's anything other than a complete joke.
Banned
#6 Old 15th Oct 2010 at 11:50 AM
Besides, if trying to use store items, you have much bigger problems than the copy protection: you only have one morph.
Scholar
Original Poster
#7 Old 15th Oct 2010 at 12:04 PM
@ Tjstreak: Oh, sure? So can't we ever put our hands on a good base for to make a new mesh? It's a very pity....
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#8 Old 15th Oct 2010 at 12:43 PM
As I understand it, recompressorisor breaks the instances of stuff, so you may run into issues - I don't know if it reinstances everything or just the CASP. Remember that if you want to share what you make, you'll have to either create a new file referencing the Store mesh, or manually remove the meshes from the package - otherwise you'll be pirating the content.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Scholar
Original Poster
#9 Old 15th Oct 2010 at 3:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by whiterider
As I understand it, recompressorisor breaks the instances of stuff, so you may run into issues - I don't know if it reinstances everything or just the CASP. Remember that if you want to share what you make, you'll have to either create a new file referencing the Store mesh, or manually remove the meshes from the package - otherwise you'll be pirating the content.

Oh, thank you Whiterider.

I think I'll give up of this idea.....
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#10 Old 15th Oct 2010 at 4:47 PM
Well, there's no reason not to try - you'll just have to remember to test early on before you expend lots of time working on a beautiful texture.

Scholar
Original Poster
#11 Old 15th Oct 2010 at 5:05 PM
Well, there's no reason not to try - you'll just have to remember to test early on before you expend lots of time working on a beautiful texture.

Thank you so much!!!!!
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#12 Old 15th Oct 2010 at 6:00 PM
I'm sorry for discouraging you initially. I sometimes forget that not everyone sees posts like that as things to look out for, rather than things to avoid at all costs .

Sockpuppet
#13 Old 15th Oct 2010 at 8:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by tjstreak
Besides, if trying to use store items, you have much bigger problems than the copy protection: you only have one morph.

One morph?
Seen a few packages but they all had all necesarry morphs.
Banned
#14 Old 15th Oct 2010 at 8:42 PM Last edited by tjstreak : 16th Oct 2010 at 1:53 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by BloomsBase
One morph?
Seen a few packages but they all had all necesarry morphs.

That has been my experience, at least. But after one or two tries, I really have not messed with store meshes. It also could be the version of Workshop I am using. Select individuals seem to get a more powerful version, while the peons are left with crumbs.

About a year ago, I was trying to modify the rocker outfit using TSR Workshop. I was going to sluttify it: make it shorter, and do an upskirt version. It was going to be a major revision because I would have frankenmeshed the legs with part of the nude bottom.

The mesh sliders did not work, and when I extracted the wso files, they each only had one morph. I was being lazy, didn't care to do all the morphs, so I just moved onto another project.

Looked at the file again today using Workshop 2.0 -- same problem.

There may be a work around I am not aware of. Or maybe I should be using another program -- other than Workshop.

Truth of the matter is, I have a number of other things I want to do and messing with a store mesh is not real high on my priority list for the foreseeable future.

Remember that if you want to share what you make, you'll have to either create a new file referencing the Store mesh, or manually remove the meshes from the package - otherwise you'll be pirating the content.

Not necessarily. This probably would be considered to be "fair use."

A lot depends on what one is doing. A lot of my projects -- sluttifying clothes -- is almost a classic parody (being both humorous and satirical) Parody has always been protected by the fair use doctrine.

But the Sims community is real funny about this. They don't give a second thought to ripping off Disney, Harry Potter, the NFL or prominent artists, and violating the copyrights of those individuals. But they get all huffy when it comes to sims meshes and textures.

Odds are, that if one sticks a new texture on a store mesh, no one would even notice that a store mesh was being used. Probably not even EA. No one would probably care, either -- especially if it looks a lot different from the store item.

And if you modify a store mesh, move, delete or even add new vertices, is it still a store mesh? Or have you turned it into something else? As a general rule, I don't want to waste a lot of time making a mesh that looks like something which already has been done.

After all, all meshes seem to build on the same basic mesh designs, and everything is just a variation of these basic designs. All creators, to some extent, build on the work of others.

The real problem is in breaking the copy protection in the first place. That probably is a violation of the Digital Millenium Copyright Act's anti-circumvetion provisions.
Test Subject
#15 Old 1st Jan 2011 at 5:04 AM Last edited by mfhorn63 : 1st Jan 2011 at 11:53 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by monca533
Hi!
I would like to make a mesh using a piece of clothing of the sets of the Sims 3 Store but I don't know how to do for to open it in CTU or TSRW.
There is a way to do this?
There is a program wich allows to see each of pieces of clothing existing in the sets?

I really do apreciate any help.

Thank you!

***After re-reading your post, I see this is not the info you wanted. Sorry for the misunderstanding!

I hope I am interpreting your query correctly.
I wanted to extract textures from sims3pack files, and found your post. I didn't have any luck with any of the replies, so I went back into TSR Workshop. You can choose to import a sims3pack file, and the various textures will show up.
I wanted to add a crest to a school blazer mod I had downloaded.
Look at the Right side of the TSRW window, and click the Texture tab. Find the "specular" textures for the object you are working with. The procedure for editing them is the same as for adding stencils to clothing. Double-click on the texture you want (any specular defining the object is fine), and a window pops up. Select "Export," and click "Save." Open the resultant *.dds in your grafx editor (I use Photoshop), making sure you have the *dds plugin (available for GIMP and Photoshop). You can edit the graphic directly, or paste a new one into it. Just make sure that the specular and the new edit(s) are on different layers. When you are happy with the result, click to hide the background (original) layer. You should be left with your graphic and a transparent background (that is VERY important). Delete the background layer. Save. If you get a message about too many channels, try deleting the Alpha. Save using the DXT5 choice.
For a stencil, go down the right side of TSRW, until you see "Stencil A." Double-click, and import the edited graphic. Choose "Enabled TRUE." Your new item will be displayed in the main view window.
Export as *sims3pack, move to "Downloads," Install using Game Launcher and enjoy!

If this wasn't what you wanted, at least this way you can export textures from *sims3pack files into *dds files that can then be manipulated as you wish.

Cheers!
Inventor
#16 Old 1st Jan 2011 at 5:35 AM
You can always use Delphy's Sims3Pack Multi Installer and extract the .package. Than open them with CTU/Postal/s3pe and voilá!
Also, you can find the packages extracted from Store sets in your DCBackup folder in My Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3, they will have codes instead of names, so check their dates
Scholar
Original Poster
#17 Old 1st Jan 2011 at 4:33 PM
Thank you mfhorn63 an Anubis! :lovestruc

I'm making some experiments converting sims3pack to .package and i'm using S3PE and Postal to open the files and extract the meshes.

Thank you one more time!