Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Jan 2011 at 5:02 AM
Default Costume Mask (Dia De Los Muertos)
I've found every guide there is on creating new costume make-up for your simmies in S3 and followed every step, but it never turns out right. The mask I created either blacks out the eyes or doesn't even show up at all. I used the tiger paint template over and over. The guide on TSR doesn't help, because the creator doesn't say ANYTHING about how to save the files and what to do if it asks you about alpha channels, and the other tutorials told me how to do that, but they didn't tell me HOW the colors of my mask are supposed to show up on the sim's face or how to make it so the mask colors don't cover up the sim's eyes except for a small area. None of them spoke about where the image you create should be transparent so it won't show up on the sim's face. Maybe I'm just illiterate or something, but the directions are a bit hard to follow. Can someone please give me step by step IN DETAIL instructions on how to make a costume makeup?
Advertisement
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#2 Old 4th Jan 2011 at 1:48 PM
If the eyes are black, it's probably because the area of the texture which covers the eyes is white on your alpha channel. Any part of the texture with a white alpha will show up as part of the makeup, whereas any part with a black alpha will be invisible, showing the regular skin or eyes underneath. It could also be that you selected DXT1 when saving - you'll need to use DXT3 or DXT5.

Do you know how to get to the alpha channel? Which graphics program are you using? Which modding program are you using - CTU or TSRW?

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 4th Jan 2011 at 2:32 PM
I am using Photoshop CS3 with the dds plugin for the image editing. At first, I used TSRW to make the initial mask, but after failing with that with a tutorial from TSR, I found the tutorial to do it with CTU, but once again, the mask failed again. The one question that's been bugging me is how the colors of the mask are supposed to show up? I don't want it to be recolorable, but I don't think that's possible?
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#4 Old 4th Jan 2011 at 2:41 PM
It is possible to make it non-recolourable - you would have to disable all four tints in CTU: Sims 3:Basic Face Overlays#Importingwiki. Why do you want to do that, though? It's always better to have things recolourable if possible, so downloaders can get more use out of whatever it is you're making.

If you do need to have some areas which aren't tintable, you would paint the colours onto the overlay itself.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 5th Jan 2011 at 6:23 AM
Well, the mask I am creating was mean't to be for one of my custom sims and wasn't going to be redistributed among the masses. Maybe later, I would have put it out for all, but since it is in a different style (skull mask for the Dia De Los Muertos), I really didn't want it to have recolorable areas.