Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Dec 2010 at 5:49 PM
Default creating accessories
i was looking for a tutorial on creating accessories, but i can't find one. but if i wanted to make an accessory is it like the same as making clothes (but with lod0) ? can i just take it into my 3D modelling program and do whatever i want with the mesh? also can i add things like a cube or a sphere shape to the EA mesh?

Can i make my own mesh for an accessory? if so after creating the mesh what do i do next? do i need to do bone assignments and stuff?

sorry i have soo many questins :P
Advertisement
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#2 Old 28th Dec 2010 at 6:14 PM
Yup - it's exactly the same as creating clothes. The only difference is that the textures are usually smaller, you need the LOD0, and you usually (but not always) won't need to worry about morphs. Apart from those differences, follow any old clothing tutorial.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Sockpuppet
#3 Old 28th Dec 2010 at 7:18 PM
creating accesoire is a good starting point for beginners, its easier as there are no morphs involved(unless you want them to)
You basicly clone a accesoire that comes close to your idea.
You extract its mesh and import it in your 3d proggy, use it as base for your own creation
It contains the correct comments/boneassignements and gives you a idea how it is done.
Scholar
#4 Old 28th Dec 2010 at 10:04 PM
Hi!
Following this thread, i have a question: if i want to make something for using on forehead (maybe a circlet or a crown), what kind of accessory have i to use for?
Inventor
#5 Old 28th Dec 2010 at 10:32 PM
I always clone earrings when I'm making accessories, then you can re-categorize it as anything you want, like rings or gloves because those are not used very often (mainly rings)
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#6 Old 28th Dec 2010 at 11:37 PM
Yeah, earrings or glasses I'd say... it will work whichever category you use, but I guess people are less likely to want to be able to use circlet and glasses at the same time, as they are likely to want to be able to use, say, a circlet and gloves.

Scholar
#7 Old 29th Dec 2010 at 12:29 AM
Oh thank you Anubis and Whiterider!!!! :lovestruc I think i'll try my first accessory.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 29th Dec 2010 at 2:54 AM
thanks so much! so say i choose an earing, after cloning it and importing it into the 3D programme can delete some of or all of the mesh? like its verticies and stuff because theres no morphs?
Sockpuppet
#9 Old 29th Dec 2010 at 3:13 AM
Quote: Originally posted by StamiNa
thanks so much! so say i choose an earing, after cloning it and importing it into the 3D programme can delete some of or all of the mesh? like its verticies and stuff because theres no morphs?

You only need the comments from the comment box in the meshtab.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 29th Dec 2010 at 4:57 AM
ahh i see i cant thank you all enough!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 29th Dec 2010 at 5:24 PM
just a quick question, how many polys should the average accessory lod0/lod1 be?
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#12 Old 29th Dec 2010 at 5:44 PM
That really depends on what you're making - how complex it is, and how big it is.

Top Secret Researcher
#13 Old 29th Dec 2010 at 7:22 PM
I kind of forgat one thing about accessory making, last time when I made accessory I used Autonum tool since I had morphstate accessory, but do I have to use autonum if there's no morphstates?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#14 Old 29th Dec 2010 at 8:27 PM
i'm making some bangles, a couple of bangles on each hand, it took me little time to make the mesh i just used a basic doughnut shape to make circle bangles, it doesn't look too complex but the polycount is 4608, idk..i think its realy high for some bangles i mean some hair are like 5,000 polys and im sure accessories aren't supposed to reach around the same level of detail as hairs, so do you think i should lower the polycount? my mesh isn't that complex.. Oh and i used 3DS MAX to make the bangles mesh and then i exported it as obj and imported it into milkshape. i need help now, what will i have to do next? will the bangles require bone assignments and stuff does it include morph states? because the arms change when changing from slim to fat. im just really stuck now i have my mesh imported but i dont know what to do now :/
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#15 Old 29th Dec 2010 at 9:07 PM
Yeah, 4k is too high for bangles. Remember to delete any hidden faces (e.g. if the bottom of one bangle is right on top of another, you'll never actually see the bottom ingame, so you should delete it). If you've imported into Milkshape, I suggest going tools -> DirectX mesh tools and using that to automatically lower the poly count - slide the slider until it starts looking ugly and blocky, and then go a little way back up.

Yes, they will need to be assigned to at least one bone or they'll just float in midair. You can probably just assign the whole left bangle to the left wrist joint, and vice versa for the right.

Most EA accessories are just big enough that they fit a fat sim - the hands and wrists aren't affected much by morphs anyway. You can try to add morphs, but I'd suggest avoiding morphs if this is a beginner project, as they are a lot to take in if you're not really comfortable yet with plain old meshing.

If you're not adding morphs then you don't need to autonum - the game will just ignore anything with no morphs, rather than explodinating it as you might expect.