Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Nov 2010 at 12:29 AM
Default How to "recolor" custom meshes?
I am planning on using Aikea's Wall-writing mesh to make a set of wall decals, but I'm not sure of how to "recolor" using her mesh. I imported her .package file into Workshop, and I exported the texture file that I need so I can use it in Photoshop to make my wall decals. I saved the new .dds file and imported it back into Workshop and saved and then exported it to test in the game. When I loaded the game, the wall decal was nowhere to be found.

I can't find any tutorials on how to recolor custom meshes in Worskhop, so can someone please help me? Or if I can't use Workshop to "recolor" custom meshes, can someone lead me to a tutorial or tell me how using s3pe?
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 17th Nov 2010 at 12:51 AM
If the thing is like a painting I wrote a tutorial on how to use S3PE to recolor paintings. It's in the tutorials section. If that doesn't help you could you post a link to her wall decals?
Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 17th Nov 2010 at 12:55 AM
Here is the link to her wall art: http://club-crimsyn.dreamwidth.org/24703.html?#cutid1

Lots of people have used this mesh to make their own wall art, wall stickers (decals), etc... and I'd like to know how they were able to do it. I hope you can help
Alchemist
#4 Old 17th Nov 2010 at 3:45 AM
Well seein' as how the IMG names have been stripped off the thing I'm guessing the tender touch of TSRW has been on this object...lol. Tender touch meaning stuff made with that tool is borked in terms of working with it using anything else...TSR really ought to fix that problem with their tool since all it does is limit what creators can do.

Anyway, my bet is you won't be able to use S3PE for this project. You're prolly best off asking someone who has successfully used TSRW for the purpose you have in mind...maybe the TSRW forum could help?...or the site where others have posted their own wall art made from it?

I'm not sure why you want to use her particular mesh though...the thing is just a clone of the hanging plant. You can clone that and create your wall decals easily since you already know how to work with alphas and meshes.
Scholar
Original Poster
#5 Old 17th Nov 2010 at 4:21 PM
Well, I wanted to use it b/c everyone else that I've seen that has made wall decals has used her mesh. Her mesh is more than just a clone of the hanging plant - the mesh is actually a 2-tile wall that is pretty much invisible (transparent in Workshop), so that when you make wall decals or wall writings, the wall mesh that they are placed on in Workshop is invisible in-game. I didn't want to go through the trouble in learning how to make a 2-tile invisible wall just to make wall decals when there is a mesh out there that lots of people have used successfully. I'm not sure why their wall decals/writings show up in-game, but mine doesn't. I posted on TSR before about how to "recolor" custom meshes with Workshop, but it wasn't explained well to me, so it didn't work.

Are there any other meshes out there that don't use Workshop to make wall decals/stickers?
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#6 Old 17th Nov 2010 at 6:32 PM
Are all these "recolors" really new objects in the catalog? That would be my guess, unless others are actually editing the original to add their "recolors". Could you maybe link me to that post at TSR? I would like to see what they say.

To recolor in TSRW just go to new/import as package, this will automatically renumber it and give you a new object. You cannot edit this in S3PE but you may be able to use the S3PE plugin if you need it. However you shouldn't. Then on the Textures tab change each image included to yours. Delete or add as needed.

I also read (I think from jynx) that if you open the package in s3pe, export all resources, then go new/import and bring all those resources in it works. I have not actually done this myself so can't say for sure, but I -thought- it had something to do with compression.
Alchemist
#7 Old 18th Nov 2010 at 12:09 AM
And if that doesn't work head on back...the object you're describing should be easy enough to just make yourself.
Scholar
Original Poster
#8 Old 18th Nov 2010 at 1:46 AM
HugeLunatic, this is the explanation I received today. I was told to clone a new object to "recolor" Aikea's mesh, but I thought that I had to import her mesh in and then replace her textures with my textures?

http://forums.thesimsresource.com/s...ad.php?t=387222

And this is the previous explanantion I received before when I first asked:

http://forums.thesimsresource.com/s...ad.php?t=386149

It seems they are saying 2 different things.

Thank you HL and Orange - I will keep trying
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#9 Old 18th Nov 2010 at 2:32 AM
Ok both of those say the same thing, but just worded differently. You are technically cloning the original object to make recolors as I thought. The only thing you need to do is clone her mesh and change the textures, you don't have to do anything with the mesh or any other part of the package.

Quick how to:

1. Open TSRW
2. Create New Project
3. New Import
4. Browse to aikea's mesh (you may need to change the file type in the dropdown box on bottom right to find the .package)
5. Enter project name, title, description (good place to credit aikea for original package)
6. Select Textures Tab - all original recolors are here under what seems to be the Multiplier so just change each of these to your own images or delete any.
7. Export as sim3pack then convert to .package if desired.
Scholar
Original Poster
#10 Old 18th Nov 2010 at 11:57 PM
Thank HL. That's what I thought, but for some reason when I tried that before, mine didn't show up. Hopefully it will work fine from now on. Thanks again