Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Inventor
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Apr 2009 at 3:42 AM Last edited by jewaukeela : 13th Jun 2009 at 2:03 AM.
Default *WINNERS ANNOUNCED!* Para Anoma - a by-name contest
This is my first contest as a host, so please bear with me in case I make mistakes, which I undoubtedly will... : )

Welcome to Para Anoma, a sim-making contest unlike any other! This contest will challenge the new to contests and the veterans, the sim-downloaders and the sim-makers alike. (NOTE: Downloading sims is not allowed and will result in your immediate expulsion from the contest if you do so.)

There will be five rounds in this contest, excluding the application round and the bonus round. The Application Round will be easy, much like all the others. However, it will begin to stretch your imagination and may require some internet searching to find names! Each of the following rounds will bring new ideas and aspects to the contest.

Elimination Policy
There will be no eliminations here, but you should think anyway before entering the contest. If you drop out, you will make me very sad. You do not have to do every round, but if you decide not to do a round or you miss the deadline you will receive a zero. You may make up points by doing a round later, but you cannot get more than 50% of the points back. If this is confusing, ask and I will try to answer. Since there are no eliminations, the winner will be based on the amount of points he/she has accumulated from their round entries.

What Are The Rounds Going To Be Like?
In each round, you will be asked to make a sim with a particular name. You may or may not be given a specific age to make the sim, and you may or may not have other specifications that you need to apply to. You will need a both pictures and a description to accompany each round, but the details of the writing and photography will change each round.

Don’t Worry
Do not worry if these descriptions seem rather vague! I’ll post more specific information about each round a day or two before it begins explaining exactly what you will be doing, how many pictures, etc. etc. Please take the time to read through the instructions thoroughly before asking questions. If you need a question answered immediately, your best bet is to post it on the thread and to PM me about it. Thanks!

Judging
You will be judged on many things in order to assess each round thoroughly. I personally like having a bit of the personal taste of the judge in the mix, so I allowed for that, too.
How does the name fit the person? (personal taste of the judge) /5
Followed the rules /15
Sim creativity and uniqueness /20
Photos /10
Story creativity /10

GENERAL RULES

* While some chatter is fun, useful, and nice to read, if it gets overloaded then I will make a specific chatter thread. If I do, you must stick to it.
* Custom Content usage is limited for each round, with the specifications being posted with the rules for the round.
* Each entry must have as a minimum the amount of sentences listed on the top of the page. No maximum; the more, the better!
* Photo editing is allowed. However, you may not edit anything that you had to create for the challenge, whether in rounds or your application. Some things you can edit: the expression on a passerby’s face, the sky, a flyer, etc.
*All sims must be made in Bodyshop or in CAS, unless otherwise specified.
*You must adhere, at all times, to the main contest forum rules.
* All photos must be taken in-game or by use of printscreen (or a similar program), no bodyshop pictures accepted. Sorry!

JUDGES:
1. dollyrot
2. amymnel
3. Urt31
4. Raindrops757

EJ's:
1. pck
2. alliemarie2323
3. LouBarratt88
4. jewaukeela

LATES:
Aba23: One

Application- 5/4/09 to 5/14/09
Round I (At Their Prime) - 5/8/09 to 5/14/09
Round II (Brothers and Sisters)- 5/14/09 to 5/24/09
Round III (Family Matters)- 5/24/09 to 5/30/09
Round IV (All Grown Up)- 5/30/09 to 6/7/09
Bonus Round (Neighborly, Right?) 5/18/09 to 5/30/09

Michie has offered these three wonderful prizes, thanks so much!

First place winner will receive all three, second place their choice of two, and third place winner will receive their choice of one.
Some of you may remember Leila Swan from the NextTopModel contest. I've decided to put her up as a prize for fourth place. Here's a picture of her:

Make two sims, any age, but with a few rules:

For The Female
-their first name must start with "Ja"
-their last name must end with "W"

For The Male
-their first name must start with "Bl"
-their last name must end with "Y"

For Both

-There is no custom content limit or restrictions. However, you will recive one bonus point for using no CC other than eyes, eyebrows, skin, hair, or clothes
-the two sims may not be the same age
-please give them a minimum of a four-sentence biography. No specifications on what it must contain, but it must be in first person (ex. I was born in New York in 1989.)
-take at least three photos, one with a closeup of their face and the other where you can see their whole body, and then at least one other picture of them at any age. Maximum of eight in-post pictures, no limit on linked photos.
-you must post at least three in-post pictures. If you need to link them bigger, you may. Exceptions may be granted on a case-by-case basis.
-maximum two applications per person. They will be judged separately.
-this website should help a lot with finding the first names
Advertisement
retired moderator
#2 Old 4th May 2009 at 3:26 PM Last edited by boolPropped : 20th May 2009 at 11:58 PM.
Contest Approved
Begins 5.4.09
Ends 6.9.09
  • Do not post replies and/or contest applications before the contest host has checked in on this thread, or your post will be deleted.
  • DO NOT WRITE USELESS POSTS like "Hey cool contest, I think I might join." Reserve type posts and useless posts about coming back with an application will be deleted.

Formerly known as boolPropped
Inventor
Original Poster
#3 Old 5th May 2009 at 3:02 AM
checking in! start joining, guys!
Test Subject
#4 Old 5th May 2009 at 3:30 AM
ill have an app in either tomorrow or the next day
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 5th May 2009 at 3:33 AM
Default HyghTyme - App
Blain: Old English, source of a river.
Mackey: Derived from MacKay, the Anglicized form of Gaelic Mac Aodha ‘son of Aodh’, an ancient personal name meaning ‘fire’.

Blain Mackey

Hello, hello, hello. The name is Blain Mackey. I hail from the not-so-mean streets of a suburb of Austin, TX and I now make my home in the fine city of Washington DC, where I work as a bartender when I'm not writing poetry or playing in the band The Yellow Dogs. We do a lot of politically themed music, which makes us very popular in some circles and very unpopular in others. I know our appeal isn't universal enough for us to go big, but we play music that makes people think, and that means a lot to me.

Jadviga: Old English, hidden weapon.
Shaw: Scottish and Irish, adopted as an English form of any of various Gaelic surnames derived from the personal name Sitheach ‘wolf’.

Jadviga Shaw

Hello, ladies and gentlemen. My name is Jadviga Shaw, and I am the owner of Shaw Imports, a prosperous company headquartered in New York City, with branch offices in Mexico City, San Paulo, and London. I suppose I seem to have something of a dual personality, though I certainly don't have any psychological disorders. I'm a very sweet and loving person in my personal life, and I adore spoiling my three beautiful grandchildren. In the business world however, I'm strict - though I hope fair - with my staff and cutthroat with my competitors. I enjoy both my job and my family. My husband of thirty years died two and a half years ago of a heart attack, and while I can't say I've moved on, I think I've done my grieving and am ready to focus on the happy memories we made together. I've actually had coffee with an extremely interesting man, a journalist by the name of George Trill, a few times now, and I'm hoping that I'll have another chance at love with him.

Test Subject
#6 Old 5th May 2009 at 4:27 AM
when you mean they cant be the same age does that mean one can be a teen and the other an adult? or can they both be adults but different ages like 23 and 24?
Scholar
#7 Old 5th May 2009 at 10:22 AM
I can judge if you would Like : )
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 5th May 2009 at 1:15 PM
I'd love to be a judge or EJ. I'm enjoying the judging more than being a contestant. LOL!!

I'm going there...but I like it here wherever it is
Inventor
Original Poster
#9 Old 5th May 2009 at 3:29 PM
pck - you can always be an EJ, right?
LouBarratt88 - you won't be judged on custom content, that's why there are restrictions on how much you can use.
dollyrot & amymnel - you guys are up as judges, but feel free to take a turn-around and become contestants if you feel like it.
betterthanbarbiie - Yes, the app rules mean that they have to be different age groups, so they would have to be teen and adult. Young adult and adult count as different age groups, by the way.
HyghTyme - I love your entry! The meanings of the names really fit with the characters. Such unique names, too!
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 5th May 2009 at 3:36 PM
hahah... forgot about that. Put me in as a EJ

Identity Crisis - "Reveal your real identity, Mr. Icognita."
♦Call me Mark, or Mr Invincible Volleyball Player :P♦
Inventor
Original Poster
#11 Old 5th May 2009 at 3:56 PM
Yay! Thanks, pck.
Test Subject
#12 Old 5th May 2009 at 4:12 PM
Can I please be a judge?
Test Subject
#13 Old 5th May 2009 at 4:15 PM
I want to join, but I don't know how to post pictures though. There is no button for pictures, only "post quick reply" and "go advanced". Also I am new here, and I have never been in a contest before so if I join will you guys help me if I have questions or troubles?
Inventor
Original Poster
#14 Old 5th May 2009 at 4:17 PM
Urt - of course you can be a judge! That leaves one more judging space open, and 2 EJ spaces.
Waroruri - of course we will help you! We love newbies, right guys?
Field Researcher
#15 Old 5th May 2009 at 4:51 PM
Can I please be a judge?

I've never judged before and this looks really fun to judge!
Inventor
Original Poster
#16 Old 5th May 2009 at 5:05 PM
yep! Thanks! It will be a fun contest to join too, so feel free to hop on over to the other side if you want to. I put you up as judge. That means there are NO MORE JUDGING SPOTS! Sorry, guys. There are still 2 EJ spots open if you'd like them!
Field Researcher
#17 Old 5th May 2009 at 5:11 PM
Thanks Jewaukeela!
Site Helper
#18 Old 5th May 2009 at 5:19 PM
I'm creating a new (semi-themed) neighborhood, and this might help me work on some more of the population I need to make. Do the sims have to be completely human? And does it matter if we have installed default face templates? My husband doesn't want to remove them.

Waroruri: you need to have made at least 5 posts in order to post a picture. Once you have done that, upload your pictures somewhere like Image shack or photobucket. It will show you a list of codes to copy and paste to post your picture. There is a tutorial on posting pictures stickied in the Pictures board.

Correction: it isn't stickied. But the whole picture tutorial board is worth looking at. http://forums.sims-community.com/forumdisplay.php?f=79

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Inventor
Original Poster
#19 Old 5th May 2009 at 5:32 PM
Thanks for helping Waroruri. Also, the people can be any species. Werewolf, vampire, cat, alien, etc. What do you mean by "default face templates"?
Test Subject
#20 Old 5th May 2009 at 5:50 PM
yes, thank you. i will see the post and then i will show my application.
Site Helper
#21 Old 5th May 2009 at 6:46 PM
I don't know where he got them, but I think they are on MTS2. They change the base faces so the townies will look a bit better. They also modify the base faces from Bodyshop and CAS, but it doesn't show as much because they get modified a lot when you are making a sim anyway.

I don't know if these are the ones I have or not.(It was my husband who added them) They give you an idea of how they affect the base faces though.
http://sumomo.modthesims2.com/download.php?t=250376.

But the sliders and (as far as I can tell) the normal Maxis noses, ears, eyes, eyebrows, chins, etc. that you can add to it later remain untouched. By the time a sim is finished there isn't much left of the base template anyway.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Inventor
Original Poster
#22 Old 5th May 2009 at 6:48 PM
yes, then that's fine. should I put you up as a contestant?
Test Subject
#23 Old 5th May 2009 at 8:19 PM
ok thanks, im making my sims now
Test Subject
#24 Old 5th May 2009 at 9:07 PM
Yay! I know how to post pictures now, thank you to the people who Private Message-ed me! so i have my entry. i used custom eyebrows on him, sorry. Also i cant post more than the 2 pictures for some reason, all that appears is a little question box so please dont take off points!

NAME: Jackie Murrow

Hello! My name's Jackie Murrow. I am 14 years old, and I live in Moasica, which is outside of Pleasantview. I live with my mom, Lila, my sister Anne, and my father, Blake Murphy. Blake's last name is different because he's not married to Mom. That's why I call him Blake, not Dad.
Here's my room. I am an artist. I don't go to school much, even though I'm supposed to, that's what the principal says. My mom and Blake homeschool me, they have since I was eight and I got beat up at at school. My mom gets me being an artist. She doesn't like me painting my room and spending all my money on paint and easels, but she deals with it, and says I'm being constructive. She's really wonderful, and I love her a lot. Blake hates it, and he makes sure I know it. Everytime I show Mom one of my paintings, he gets mad and starts yelling at me. Then I go into my room and throw a silent fit. I guess that's what I'm doing in the picture.

(*)*(*)*(*)*(*)*(*)*(*)

NAME: Blake Murphy

Hello. My name is Blake Murphy, and I'm thirty-four. I live in a tiny town just off Pleasantview, called Moasica. I live with my girlfriend of nearly fifteen years, Lila Murrow. We met in college, and I moved in with her when she dropped out to take care of our first daughter, Jackie. I love Lila an extraordinary amount, and I have proposed to her five times trying to prove it. She says that she doesn't want to get married, though, so I try to just live with it.
As you can see, I'm a very laidback kind of guy. I'm not lazy, though. I'm always up and running around after Annie, my younger daughter. She's silly and happy, the exact opposite of Jackie. Jackie is sullen and humorless. I try to encourage her to play football or take a walk with me, but she never wants to do anything active. I would love her painting, but her only subject is herself. All over her walls, stacked in the corner, piled on her desk... herself. I try to be like Lila, though, and just praise her for what she can do. "It's just a phase" Is what Lila says. I hope it is.

(*)*(*)*(*)*(*)*(*)*(*)

NAME: Lila Murrow

My boyfriend and daughter, Jackie, don't get along too well.
I love them both to pieces, but I wish they could walk a mile in eachother's shoes. For example, look at this picture. He's trying to be silly, but all she's doing is rolling her eyes.

I hope you guys like it!
Inventor
Original Poster
#25 Old 5th May 2009 at 11:35 PM
Thanks, waroruri! Darn, you managed to find common names in spite of my rules! Haha, just kidding. I love Blake's hair, it's one of my favorite pieces of CC.

Dollyrot, Raindrops, Urt, & Amymnel - What do you think judges, should we let waroruri go on the basis that she couldn't help but link the photos?

Page 1 of 12