Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Scholar
#26 Old 26th Nov 2014 at 10:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CooCooCoo
I started with 8 sims, 4 females, 4 males. I put them all in the same house and played for a couple o days, naturally sims started interacting with each other and it became clear which sims "clicked" more. This way I made 4 couples and moved them in separate lots. One family is dedicating to fishing, another to gardening and one to sewing. So far i'm having fun, but I will be needing more mods in the future since i'm starting to face some limitations(need more realistic gardening)

Are you aiming to having your hood go for multiple generations? eight seems like a really small gene pool, but I could see how you wouldn't want many more households than that.

Check out my simblr https://www.tumblr.com/blog/tbssimblr

Click the link, you know you want to. ;)
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#27 Old 26th Nov 2014 at 11:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by maxon
1. Load your neighbourhood in SimPE.
2. Use the Sim Surgery tool (Tools>Sim Surgery)
3. Locate the sim you want to change and press the 'use' link in the Patient Sim panel
4. Locate the sim whose appearance you want to use and press the 'use' link in the Archetype Sim panel
5. Press Surgery!
6. Done - don't forget to save.

I also change the name but to avoid confusion when playing another family, I also append their job title to the NPC's name so George Grant's simulcrum is called George Grant Policeperson.

That sounds quite easy. Only thing that concerns me is the name change. I thought you weren't supposed to change a sims first name? I would not be using their genetics.
Also is it safe to do that to sims such as taxi drivers and the social worker?

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#28 Old 27th Nov 2014 at 1:36 AM Last edited by maxon : 27th Nov 2014 at 1:52 AM.
Oh, I hadn't thought about that - I think possibly not but I'll test it. The thing about Social Workers and Drivers is that they are not universals but you can't interact with them (or shouldn't force interaction with them). However, their files are unique to the neighbourhood. Drivers do have names (so I'm guessing that's not a problem since they can have different names obviously. They also have memories). Social Workers, of course, don't (have either as a matter of fact). My sim destined for social work hasn't left college yet (and I've not finished the career). Similarly, my taxi driver sims are still not employed as drivers so I haven't tried that out. There is an issue with renaming ordinary sims but I can't remember the details. It's not too big an issue anyway and renaming ordinary NPCs and townies is not a problem.

Edit: just checked. Social Workers do have memories in fact (which is a good sign - it means their files are normally written to by the game). I have also cloned over my only social worker in Little Carping (hadn't realised I'd got that far) but haven't renamed that one. Ah well, well no signs of problems so far though as we know that isn't evidence. Also doesn't show anything in the Hood Checker but Moo couldn't design it to pick up everything. I'll have to have a poke about in the files and see what I can see. I'm much less skilled with code than Moo though.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Scholar
#29 Old 27th Nov 2014 at 4:10 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
One closed hood I have is a grass roots hippie type island. That has five couples, no townies, but I am not adverse to adding in more CAS sims if need be. They use solar power, have no 'jobs', trade goods and have no cash. The bills and paper don't get delivered. So if your child needs an outfit you would go over to the sewing lady and offer her some fish, milk from the goat, wood or something else and she will make the new outfit.

My new integrated hood will have playables added as needed to run the shops. So far that have the B&B couple (where all new sims stay) Mayor and nurse couple, the farm couple, police station couple, fire station couple, minister and wife couple, restaurant owning couple, bank owner and teacher couple, and just moved in is the post office and receptionist couple. One of the B&B couple is lined up to be a reporter and the Dr's other half is a waiter. The hood is so new I consider these to all be my back story sims and they are all currently or about to have babies and toddlers.

You will find the smaller your population the more they live in each others houses. With my island hood it's nothing to see a neighbour use the bathtub and sleep in a bed or tend to a baby or toddler. They do long distance greats where they wave from the front and back yard or they simply walk in and join the meal. I also made two, brother sister pairs, so some are related or inlaws. I didn't really think how this would work for later marriages. I guess they will need new blood at some point.

Jo in your closed neighborhood how does the sewing lady generate cash for materials? When you sit down to sew or use any of the free time craft stations the game bascially deducts the cost of the materials from household funds. If everything is barter how are you generating cash for materials or things like furniture?

Check out my simblr https://www.tumblr.com/blog/tbssimblr

Click the link, you know you want to. ;)
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#30 Old 27th Nov 2014 at 4:21 AM Last edited by joandsarah77 : 29th Nov 2014 at 1:02 AM.
Good spot. I did give them all some cash to start with. With new sewing projects, that is part of the price. I haven't played that hood in awhile but I think an outfit is about $200? The logs are worth $100 each. The neighbour wanting the outfit would give them the logs, which will cover what she spent to make it. Becks wood tree chopping: http://www.affinitysims.com/IPB/fil...llen-pine-tree/ There are various tress over at Affinity sims. Only issue I have found is sometimes the sound goes wonky. Then on top of the wood they will give her some fish or whatever they have in their inventory that feels like a fair exchange. They also help each other by passing around items like baby cribs.
Plumb Bob Keep now has a weaving workbench and sims can make furniture on it. I've only used it my medieval hood so far but it would suit my hippies to. Only thing it takes that game an hour to load. :/ I'm going out tonight so I think I'll load it up then.

Edit: I loaded up the sims folder with this hood and remembered I also have her sew curtains and sell them back to the air so she can practice her sewing as she isn't at Gold badge level yet. I do the same for any other skill that takes money to practice. That also makes them a little bit of money for things. It's very difficult to have no cash at all.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
#31 Old 29th Nov 2014 at 12:43 AM
using "kill all townies" is supposed to make them starve to death, but all it does is teleport them and spam your game with "Bye, See ya, Gotta Go" messages, and lags them. I don't reccomend it. Just use a clean template
Instructor
Original Poster
#32 Old 30th Nov 2014 at 10:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Snackmister
using "kill all townies" is supposed to make them starve to death, but all it does is teleport them and spam your game with "Bye, See ya, Gotta Go" messages, and lags them. I don't reccomend it. Just use a clean template

If you close them in a 4 wall room with no doors they die in seconds
Test Subject
#33 Old 1st Jul 2016 at 3:38 PM
Default Who delivers the mail and paper?
If u deleted all the townies, who delivers your mail, paper, grocery, pizza etc. whos the nanny? Who checks you out at the store? Im currently in the process of deleting all the sims 2 townies in sims PE and with the bat box, but now im wondering if i should save some or just delete them all? I have almost 1000 sims and my game has really slowed down. I deleted 100 and it seems to have speed up and less lags, so id like to delete as many as i can without curruption

Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
You don't actually need townies. I have a sims 2 folder with no townies and the game plays fine. That is why people use clean and empty templates. Sometimes it's fun to have townies and other times it's fun to have custom townies or just the regular townies, there are no rules. if you set it up right you can have different hoods with all three configurations; no townies, custom townies or regular townies. Coral Bay that I am playing now has no townies. It makes the playables into a very close knit community.
Mad Poster
#34 Old 1st Jul 2016 at 5:00 PM
Only sims on the same lot as your playable effects how the game runs.

If you are not very careful in deleting sims you can ruin your hood.

The safest way to kill off townies is...
1. Get the "Laganaphyllis Simnovorii" otherwise known as the "Cowplant" .
2. Get Teleporting Cat http://www.drealm.info/simlogical/s...Teleporters.htm
3. Teleport the townie to your lot and use the cat to make them selectable and have them eat the cake.

No more townies and this is the safest in-game way to do it.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Mad Poster
#35 Old 1st Jul 2016 at 5:59 PM
Those - the paper girl/boy, the pizza deliverer, the nanny, etc - they are not townies but NPC's and the game generates them as and when needed. So all of them will be brand new.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#36 Old 1st Jul 2016 at 11:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Alicat474
If u deleted all the townies, who delivers your mail, paper, grocery, pizza etc. whos the nanny? Who checks you out at the store? Im currently in the process of deleting all the sims 2 townies in sims PE and with the bat box, but now im wondering if i should save some or just delete them all? I have almost 1000 sims and my game has really slowed down. I deleted 100 and it seems to have speed up and less lags, so id like to delete as many as i can without curruption

Those are not townies, those are NPC's. When you play an empty clean hood the game will pause slightly and make the needed NPC, these will all be original new sims not the regular ones, so no more Dagma the mail lady, it will be a brand new sim. You don't have to have mail or paper or a nanny if you don't want them either. Set the visitor controller to ban them. My stores are all run and staffed by playable sims, so who checks you out at the till? Your friend from down the road most likely. No NPC needed. My nanny when and if I finally get one will be a playable. This method is called an integrated or a self sufficient hood where you use none or only a tiny handful of NPC's. Right now friends watch children although I am about to set up a daycare and toddlers can go there. You can do just about anything with this game with a few mods.

....okay so a lot of mods.

~Call me Jo~
Page 2 of 2