Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#126 Old 5th Mar 2013 at 9:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ScaryRob
While I've got your attention, what's the difference between a Mod and a Hack in this game?

From what I remember, we used to use the term "hack" when TS2 was in its early to prime years. Somewhere in there we began transitioning to "mod"..and ModTheSims at the time was called "ModTheSims2." A lot of games began to have "modding" communities around then, so I'd guess that's why we started to change the term. Maybe just because it sounds more friendly, less pirate-y?

But the terms "mod" and "hack" are used interchangeably for the most part. Although custom content of any type (including stuff like hair and clothes) are "mods"...though they aren't hacks. They are modifications to your game versus hacks of the game code. Hacks are mods but not all mods are hacks. Heh.

You'll notice that in Sims 3 language we've transitioned completely to talking about "game mods" versus "game hacks." It's only in TS2 land that we still use the word "hack" on occasion.
Advertisement
Instructor
#127 Old 5th Mar 2013 at 10:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ScaryRob
While I've got your attention, what's the difference between a Mod and a Hack in this game?

I think "mod" and "hack" are interchangeable for Sims games, and change gameplay in some way. "Custom content" doesn't change gameplay, but still adds something to the game.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#128 Old 5th Mar 2013 at 10:57 PM
I wouldn't call cc hair or clothes 'mods' I even told someone not to call it that as a title on their help thread because some people might not read it thinking it's a hack problem. technically I guess it's a game modification, but most people think mod- hack, not mod- cc items.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Instructor
#129 Old 5th Mar 2013 at 11:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
I wouldn't call cc hair or clothes 'mods' I even told someone not to call it that as a title on their help thread because some people might not read it thinking it's a hack problem. technically I guess it's a game modification, but most people think mod- hack, not mod- cc items.

Yes, that's pretty much what I meant. Way back when we first figured out how to recolor for Sims 2, recolors were called "mods", but I wouldn't call recolors or new meshes mods either (though meshes can cause game problems). It's different from other games, in which stuff that's added, even stuff that only changes visuals, is often called a mod, whereas a hack changes gameplay. I've never seen the "custom content" descriptor except for Sims games.
Test Subject
#130 Old 10th Mar 2013 at 5:47 AM
Default Thank You!
I WAS ripping my hair out - this helped LOADS.
Test Subject
#131 Old 16th Mar 2013 at 3:52 PM
Thank you!! I tried to build an apartment once, but i failed.
Mad Poster
#132 Old 19th Apr 2013 at 10:52 PM
Is there a list of things that should not be/are not recommended to be placed in common areas? I know stereos for one, but anything else?
Mad Poster
#133 Old 19th Apr 2013 at 11:03 PM
Don't place candy/soda machines. I made that mistake with my lot, and it's really annoying for roomies. They keep running up there to browse when hungry, but never buy anything or cook.

I would also advice against hot tubs, since roomies and neighbours pretty much live in it which can get annoying.
Lab Assistant
#134 Old 19th Apr 2013 at 11:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by gummilutt
I would also advice against hot tubs, since roomies and neighbours pretty much live in it which can get annoying.

Conversely, I love having hot tubs on my apartment lots, because it means the neighbors will often hang around to be interacted with.

A thing I wouldn't put in a common area: A dining table and chairs, and probably not counters either. Because when your sim is serving a meal, they will go serve on the common-area dining table and counters as well, which is extremely annoying if all you were trying to do was provide a romantic dinner for a date.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#135 Old 19th Apr 2013 at 11:15 PM
I think it depends on what kind of place you are trying to make. I'm making a hostel for upload right now, so a kind of soup kitchen is in the conmon area as the rooms are just rooms like a hostel.
Why would you not place a stereo or a hot tub? Maybe you might want to electrocute the townies who live there and watch them die from the smustle. I think it depends on the type of apartment and if the neighbors are going to be playables or townies.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
#136 Old 20th Apr 2013 at 5:54 PM
I've got an apartment which is two houses, joined by a kind of bridge on the 1st (American 2nd) floor, which is also how you access the apartments. The houses are then upsidedown; with the living area on the upper floor and the bedrooms on the lower floor. On the lower (ground) floor there is a door out onto a fully enclosed garden. I get an error message every time I try to zone the lot to apartment base. I've isolated it as an error to do with the gardens even though they're fully fenced in - if I take out the doors onto the gardens the lot zones correctly. I'm wondering if it's a problem because the doors on to the garden are on a different floor to the apartment doors, but then enclosed balconies work, don't they?

Has anyone else had a similar problem and were you able to resolve it, or has anyone been able to successfully build apartments with the apartment door on an upper floor, but an enclosed garden as well?

I hope this makes sense.

♫Cuz I don't have a home in this life, I have to roam. Got nowhere to lay my head, so I'll follow you instead, and set my gaze on the place I'm going to. Til then I'm homeless, but I'll roam with you...♫

My Simblr: http://natteryaktoad.tumblr.com
Mad Poster
#137 Old 20th Apr 2013 at 8:56 PM
What kind of fence are you using, and what kind of door?
Mad Poster
#138 Old 20th Apr 2013 at 9:36 PM
Is the house built on a foundation, NatteryakToad?
Field Researcher
#139 Old 21st Apr 2013 at 7:35 AM
No, it's not on a foundation, and the back door is the open me door (the wooden one with a lattice thing in the glass bit of it), and the fence I think is base game - it's the fairly tall solid white one, with a spiky top.

♫Cuz I don't have a home in this life, I have to roam. Got nowhere to lay my head, so I'll follow you instead, and set my gaze on the place I'm going to. Til then I'm homeless, but I'll roam with you...♫

Mad Poster
#140 Old 21st Apr 2013 at 1:17 PM
I would try a different fence. I know the game is iffy about what works and not in apartments. Maybe that one for some reason does not count and it would be considered common area. No idea if it would cause your problem, but that's all I can think of.
Mad Poster
#141 Old 21st Apr 2013 at 1:20 PM
Posting a floorplan might help.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#142 Old 21st Apr 2013 at 1:37 PM
What is the fence enclosing? And is there a gate into it anywhere?

~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
#143 Old 21st Apr 2013 at 2:26 PM Last edited by NatteryakToad : 21st Apr 2013 at 3:01 PM.
The fence is enclosing a small garden. I tried replacing the fence with half-walls, but that didn't make any difference. I've built lots of apartments with enclosed gardens before, but I've never had problems before - only had zoning errors when I've done something silly like leave out a piece of wall or fence, or put the apartment door on backwards. I'll take some pictures to try and make the problem clearer.

EDIT: Here they are:

The apartment is two houses, joined by a bridge, from where they are both accessed.

The apartments are accessed from upstairs, and hence the living area is on this floor, the bedrooms down below.

The gardens are fully enclosed, accessed only by the doors from the downstairs hallway.

Here you can see the Open Me door (I think it's OFB) and the fence. The fact that there is a little bit of wall under the stairs enclosing the garden doesn't make any difference - I've tried replacing it with fence - nor does the fact that it's fence and not wall - I've enclosed the whole thing in half ways too.

Lab Assistant
#144 Old 21st Apr 2013 at 9:26 PM
It looks to me like you will need to use the invisible fence + modular stairs trick within the apartment to get the apartment space to "flow" downstairs into the lower rooms and the outdoors.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#145 Old 21st Apr 2013 at 10:04 PM
Could be the doorway at the top of the stairs, what happens if you remove it?

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#146 Old 28th Oct 2013 at 3:49 PM
*No necromancy intended*

Do apartments that are NOT occupied by playables (as in townies) have to be furnished before moving someone into the building? Or is it fine for me to just furnish the apt that I I will someone into?
Mad Poster
#147 Old 28th Oct 2013 at 3:52 PM
If the apartments aren't furnished, when your playable visits, there'll be no place to sit.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#148 Old 28th Oct 2013 at 4:43 PM
HAHA I've "visited" a neighbor, watched his TV, ate his food, took a shower and a nap. What are neighbors for?

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Mad Poster
#149 Old 29th Oct 2013 at 3:23 AM
I read somewhere that if you don't add the basics to non playable apartments then the residents won't be able to fulfill all their needs. Is that true?
Site Helper
#150 Old 29th Oct 2013 at 3:57 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
I read somewhere that if you don't add the basics to non playable apartments then the residents won't be able to fulfill all their needs. Is that true?
Only if you have a mod which makes that happen. It's not standard gameplay.
Page 6 of 7