Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Theorist
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Nov 2012 at 5:37 PM Last edited by ScaryRob : 30th Nov 2012 at 6:10 PM.
Default Problem placing tiles at edge of street
One of my Lots just got approved and I noticed that several concrete tiles I had placed next to the street were apparently removed when I saved the Lot file.
Here is a picture:

The tiles in question are the ones in front of the double driveway, in between the sidewalk and the street.

This is not a standard driveway. In order to construct the gates across the driveway, I simply put driveway extensions inside the yard, without using actual driveway objects. The outside is just supposed to have concrete tiles along the street to make it look like a driveway.

So my question is, how to I place concrete tiles along the street so they don't get removed when the Lot file is saved?
I've tried placing the concrete tiles using the moveobjects cheat, as well as the locktiles cheat and neither seems to keep the tiles in place once the Lot file is saved.

Help!

Edit: This is how the driveway is supposed to look:

Advertisement
Site Helper
#2 Old 30th Nov 2012 at 6:09 PM
When you place a lot into a neighborhood, the game replaces the road and sidewalk with tiles which match the current neighborhood configuration (for example: T-intersections with crosswalks). Therefore, this is expected behavior and there is no way (that I know of) to change it.

A note about this in your download thread is probably the best that you can do. You can take a look at my Moo's Mews lots to see how I handled this situation.
Theorist
Original Poster
#3 Old 30th Nov 2012 at 8:30 PM Last edited by ScaryRob : 1st Dec 2012 at 2:54 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Mootilda
A note about this in your download thread is probably the best that you can do.

Yes, I did that.
I also painted the area with the "Light Pavement" ground cover, which doesn't get removed if the Lot is moved. It looks craptacular.

A permanent solution would be to use CC ground cover that matches either the "Sid's Cement Flooring" tile or the "Discrete Concrete" sidewalk tile.
Scholar
#4 Old 30th Nov 2012 at 8:55 PM
Or you could place the fences as a gate, and move objects on the full piece driveway into place. Either way the car will teleport to the street, so it dosnt matter.
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#5 Old 30th Nov 2012 at 9:03 PM
Theorist
Original Poster
#6 Old 30th Nov 2012 at 9:26 PM Last edited by ScaryRob : 1st Dec 2012 at 2:55 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by HugeLunatic
Why not just use moveobjects to place the driveway? This will give you the correct look I think you want?

OK, I need to explain this in my Lot thread as well - thanks.

The reason I did not use the driveway object is because I wanted the lockable fence gates.
If you put the driveway object across the fence gates (using moveobjects), it will make the driveway inoperable. It will still let you place a car on it, but if you tell your Sim to drive the car, the Sim will become stuck (freeze). Then you have to go into build mode and remove one of the fence gates to unfreeze the Sim.

What I need to do is go back to the thread I deleted several days ago and explain how fence gates interact with driveways and driveway extensions.
Theorist
Original Poster
#7 Old 30th Nov 2012 at 9:29 PM Last edited by ScaryRob : 1st Dec 2012 at 2:55 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Night Racer
Or you could place the fences as a gate, and move objects on the full piece driveway into place. Either way the car will teleport to the street, so it dosnt matter.

The car will not teleport, because as soon as you tell a Sim to drive it, the Sim will freeze. You then have to go into build mode and remove one of the gate sections to unfreeze the Sim.

This is the complication that caused me to delete the thread I started about all this a few days ago.
What I need to do is make a few screenshots and revisit that thread to explain how this all works - or doesn't work.
I suspect that it is because of this complication that I have never seen anyone put fence gates across driveways.

Long story short, when you make a driveway area like the one in my upload, with fence gates across the front of it, you lose two things.
Firstly, you lose the animation of the car leaving the lot and, secondly, you lose the floor tiles along the street. These are the two prices to pay to have lockable yard gates that keep the neighborhood Sims and stray animals off your lot.
For me personally, the car animation means nothing. The cars are still functional and that's what counts. What irks me is that the cement tiles that I put long the street to make it look like a normal driveway get removed if the lot is moved - but that's a small price to pay for lockable gates, IMO.
Theorist
Original Poster
#8 Old 1st Dec 2012 at 2:03 AM
OK, I've figured out what the problem is/was.

Firstly, Night Racer and HugeLunatic, you are both correct that simply placing a driveway, using the moveobjects cheat, will work - except in one particular instance.

I made a small test lot to try out various things and I had no problem with making a fence across the front of the lot, placing the gates, placing a driveway (using the moveobjects cheat), placing a car on the driveway and having a Sim drive it off the lot. Worked like a charm.
Yet the same exact thing would not work on my uploaded lot. I tried removing nearby trees, shrubs, getting rid of one driveway altogether and everything else I could think of and nothing worked. My test Sim would freeze if I told it to drive the car.

Finally it dawned on me what the difference was between my little test lot and my uploaded lot, and why everything worked in the former but not the latter.

The difference was that my little test lot only had a fence across the front of the lot, with the sides and back of the lot being open.
My uploaded lot, otoh, was totally fenced in on all four sides!
As soon as I removed a single square of fencing anywhere around the periphery of my uploaded lot, everything worked fine!

(So this is similar to completely walling in a lot, which I did recently and which causes the entire lot to go dark because the game (correctly) interprets the whole lot to be inside a room. The only way to get normal sunlight into the lot is by removing a single square of wall somewhere.)

End result:

I deleted the square of fencing in between the two driveways, replacing it with two high hedges. Those two hedges are the opening in my otherwise completely fenced-in lot.
I installed the two driveways and everything is working fine, including the animations of the cars leaving and returning to the lot.

(As an aside, I also had to move the garage forward by one square to connect it to the driveways, but that is not relevant to the issues.)

This game is enough to drive a person nucking futs sometimes.
Locked thread | Locked by: ThreadMover Reason: Outdated / No Replies