Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Aug 2014 at 6:23 PM
Launcher - black screen
Hey everyone,
i'm having issues with my game - custom content to be precise. Till yesterday everything worked fine - then i was trying to install some new CC and black screen appeared and my launcher didn't work anymore (it stayed black and frozen) , neither did my game. When i was trying to run it i got black screen that didn't load anywhere... I had version 1.63 updates.
So today i moved my CC to new map (without new CCs from yesterday) and reinstalled the game, updated it up to 1.67. So i went to install my old CCs that worked fine till yesterday (something over 3k files). And halfway there the same issue is back (?!) i don't understand why and how since it worked fine before. I moved on hand over 2k files (adding up to 30max in launcher) ofcourse it took me hours and hours... So imagine the pain.

Now i've reinstalled the game yet again and before i do anything even update - please tell me what to do i don't have anymore nervs to repeat the same process and fail for the second time

Thank you!
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 8th Aug 2014 at 7:42 PM
You don't have to reinstall the whole game. You can always move your "The Sims 3" folder somewhere else, rename it and have the game create that folder new.

Since you updated to 1.67, it could be that some of your earlier content isn't compatible anymore. So, that needs to be checked.

Update to latest version.

To test, move your "The Sims 3" folder in "Documents" to another location and rename it.

Start your game, so this folder is created new. If the issue still occurs, it's not your CC. Unfortunately, that's when I don't know what to suggest.
Maybe this can help: http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title...Launcher_Issues
The whole turning black thing could also point to a graphics card issue. But it seems more like a CC issue.

Slowly put your content back in. If it's all sims3packs, don't do too much in one go. The launcher can't handle it well.

Generally, I would recommend using CCMagic if you use a lot of CC. It has a bit of a learning curve but it makes things so much faster and easier to test, install, and uninstall than the EA launcher (Still, install lots, counters, worlds and patterns with the launcher).
http://modthesims.info/d/461888

A tutorial for CCMagic beginners: https://nonasims.wordpress.com/?s=CCMagic
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 8th Aug 2014 at 8:08 PM
Thanks i'll try all that and yes issue isn't there without CC. Just "plain" game works fine and dandy :D
May i ask you what did you mean by "So, that needs to be checked." How do i check it? With CCMagic i guess? Sorry i'm complete noob and not really computer friendly user xD
Top Secret Researcher
#4 Old 8th Aug 2014 at 8:17 PM
Ok, CC issue it is.

This is where you do some reading. And some testing. The good thing is you have a clean game at the moment, so put things back with the 50/50 method as described here.

http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php..._Custom_Content

It might not hurt to read the Basics of Custom Content: http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php..._Custom_Content
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 8th Aug 2014 at 10:26 PM
I have read the basics few times before. But i'll try the 50/50 method and see how it goes - thank you.
I also did the test ride with CC Magic - read the guide, fallowed each step slowly and carefully and as far as i see done everything by the book - except nothing ended up installed in my game... *headdesk*
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 9th Aug 2014 at 5:43 PM
I figured CC Magic out - now it all seems logical and quite easy (i must say guides were confusing to me but some German video saved the day - even
tho i don't understand a word in German xD). My CC's never been so nicely organised i'm out of this world - thank you so much 310175!!
Is there anywhere some kind of list of contents than one can't install via CC Magic? From reading i've found so far: worlds, EA store stuff, patterns, counters , lots (tho some say you can do it), sims.. Thanks again my gaming life took turn for a better :D
Top Secret Researcher
#7 Old 9th Aug 2014 at 5:56 PM
Congratulations!

That's pretty much it. You can even drop packages into the Downloads folder if you want to keep it sorted like everything else instead of all in the Legacy set.

Did you find the offending CC that gave you trouble?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 9th Aug 2014 at 5:59 PM
I did for now everything works smoothly - i even installed all the expansions and it's all good!
Really? That's neat i shall try it thanks. Btw one thing i'm not sure about - does walls and floors go under patterns?
Top Secret Researcher
#9 Old 9th Aug 2014 at 6:44 PM
I don't think so. But it's up to you how you sort things.