Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
#26 Old 17th Oct 2011 at 10:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by whiterider
You can manually fix other people's stuff, using Inge's method and the information in my post earlier.

Crap. Now I need to learn how to mesh and junk...
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#27 Old 17th Oct 2011 at 10:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
...3) Open in S3PE and make a note of the TGI (resourcekey) number of the _RIG you get
4) Open your broken cc package in S3PE and then open the VPXY in Grid.

I apologize if I missed something but when you say resourcekey, I get the choices: Name, Tag, Type, Instance, Chunk Offset, etc ... across the top of the page. Is the resource key the one under "type" or "instance" or something else entirely? My apologies. I didn't see one that exactly matched what you said so I don't want to mess up my files terribly by picking the wrong thing :-) Thank you so much for providing an answer to this patch problem. I would have NEVER known what to do!
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#28 Old 17th Oct 2011 at 10:17 PM
Sorry. The resourcekey (aka TGI) is made up of Type, then Group, then Instance. So you need to note each one of those numbers for the resource in question.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Test Subject
#29 Old 17th Oct 2011 at 10:46 PM
I'm finding problems with CC makeup in CAS (all types but costume makeup) could this be fixed in the same way as mentioned earlier?
Lab Assistant
#30 Old 17th Oct 2011 at 11:32 PM
I'm glad to see everyone is on the case here. I, for one, will not be installing until the Creative Elite have worked out a solution. The cc I've collected is much more important to me than the idea of pets.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#31 Old 17th Oct 2011 at 11:35 PM Last edited by whiterider : 17th Oct 2011 at 11:47 PM.
SquinkyandPink, as far as we know CAS stuff is not affected, and makeup is definitely not affected.

(That's not to say there couldn't be a separate bug affecting makeup - but if there is, it's not this bug. )

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#32 Old 17th Oct 2011 at 11:41 PM
Peter has thrown together a new rig wrapper for testing, in case anyone wants to experiment with it. Thread at http://dino.drealm.info/den/denforu...php?topic=704.0 Not yet suitable for creating content to share, as it is not finished.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Lab Assistant
#33 Old 17th Oct 2011 at 11:42 PM
Give Peter a big smooch for me Inge.

The only reason most people can enjoy this game is because of dedicated people like yourselves.

I try to take one day at a time, but lately several days have been attacking me at once.

Owner - Sublime Sims - www.sublimesims.net
Lab Assistant
#34 Old 17th Oct 2011 at 11:55 PM
That's why we lurve our Inge.
Test Subject
#35 Old 18th Oct 2011 at 12:04 AM Last edited by Gother Lee : 18th Oct 2011 at 12:19 AM.
I just got this game 2 months ago and my instincts told me I was gonna go thru alot of crap if I got pets so I avoided it.

Apparently, EA doesn't give a rats behind of how much bugs and issues will then follow with each of their blockbuster releases. (They just wanna make money.)

I recommend you just wait until 1-2 years with each of their new releases before making a purchase.
Test Subject
#36 Old 18th Oct 2011 at 12:06 AM
Quote: Originally posted by whiterider
SquinkyandPink, as far as we know CAS stuff is not affected, and makeup is definitely not affected.

(That's not to say there couldn't be a separate bug affecting makeup - but if there is, it's not this bug. )

Thanks for your reply I'll look into it further elsewhere <3
Lab Assistant
#37 Old 18th Oct 2011 at 1:22 AM Last edited by lhawk07 : 18th Oct 2011 at 2:15 AM. Reason: Updating
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
Sorry. The resourcekey (aka TGI) is made up of Type, then Group, then Instance. So you need to note each one of those numbers for the resource in question.

Thank you very very much. That worked PERFECT and you are a genius.
Test Subject
#38 Old 18th Oct 2011 at 1:40 AM
Well, that's crappy. I was looking forward to trekking out to get Pets right away, but now I think I'm going to wait a while. What's with EA anyways? They allow CC and then they break it? Doesn't make sense to me. Anyways, thanks for the heads up Leesester and all.

The two most common elements in the world are hydrogen and stupidity. I happen to possess both.
(Underneath spoiler is pretty, helpful links)

Test Subject
#39 Old 18th Oct 2011 at 2:10 AM
Sigh.............Oh christ, can't these people get anything right? I can't believe they did this, they KNOW most people use CC, and they wouldn't be playing the game withOUT it. This is so effin' stupid. Ok, now that my mini-rant is over......

I'm sure I'm gonna sound completely retarded, but I don't even know what S3PE IS. Should I be messing with it, or is it something even I can handle? IF it's safe for me to attempt messing with it, where would I find it, and is this something that needs to be done on ALL, as in EACH and every single piece of interactible CC??? I have 17.9 Gigs of Downloads and 4.3 Gigs of Mods. Should I kill myself now, or assume it'll all be okay when some genius out there provides something that will fix everything for us?
Test Subject
#40 Old 18th Oct 2011 at 2:25 AM Last edited by sci_fi40 : 18th Oct 2011 at 2:27 AM. Reason: Thought of another question
Can anyone here clarify exactly what is effected? I'm a little bit confused by all the information I've been reading. (Both here and on the official forums)

Here's what I've gathered: its building stuff and objects (Even ones downloaded as .sim3packs) that are affected by this update. Basically anything a sim would interact with; Clothes and hairs and other CAS parts should be fine. (Although I've read some people saying those weren't working either.) I can understand doors being broken, but what about things like windows, plants and patterns? Does anyone know if these types of items, which have no interactions, are still functioning? And what about custom worlds and houses?

I'd test myself, but I'm on a Mac so EA hates me, and I can't get this update without completely reinstalling my game. So I'm just waiting until I get Pets tomorrow, and I'll do whatever I need to then.

Also, someone on one of the official forum threads suggested that the change is to allow for some type of pet interaction...which is logical...still annoying as hell, but it is an excuse that makes sense.
Forum Resident
#41 Old 18th Oct 2011 at 2:34 AM
S3PE is here:
dino.drealm.info/den/denforum/index.php?board=19.0
If you read the instruction carefully, you'll be fine, I were computer-illiterate back then when I started using it to re-categorize objects. But with your amount of CC, bloody hell, I don't think it's practical to fix it yourself. I hope there is a batch fix released soon. Inge, Delphy, Twallan...have helped us through many insane patches so all my hope are with them now.
Site Helper
#42 Old 18th Oct 2011 at 2:51 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Aharikido
Sigh.............Oh christ, can't these people get anything right? I can't believe they did this, they KNOW most people use CC, and they wouldn't be playing the game withOUT it. This is so effin' stupid. Ok, now that my mini-rant is over......

I'm sure I'm gonna sound completely retarded, but I don't even know what S3PE IS. Should I be messing with it, or is it something even I can handle? IF it's safe for me to attempt messing with it, where would I find it, and is this something that needs to be done on ALL, as in EACH and every single piece of interactible CC??? I have 17.9 Gigs of Downloads and 4.3 Gigs of Mods. Should I kill myself now, or assume it'll all be okay when some genius out there provides something that will fix everything for us?

If the people who made all your CC are still active they may fix things for you, so you will just need to download them again. It does affect sims3pack CC too, so you will be reinstalling Simss3packs for a while after you clean out everything you have that isn't store content. Delphy may have some luck in creating an auto-fix program, which will fix your packages. All is not lost.

You find S3PE by following the autolink in "s3pe". It's a very powerful tool, and as with any powerful tool you can make a real mess if you use it improperly. But it's not terribly hard to manage simple things, especially if you carefully follow step by step instructions. The big key is to make a copy of the file you are working with, and store that copy safely away from your work area. If you mess things up too badly, discard what you were working on and make a new copy of the original.

You have the step by step instructions in Inge's post. If you want to try fixing things for yourself before the creator gets to it (and a prolific creator has a -lot- to fix!) this would be a good introduction to s3pe. Who knows; this may inspire you to create! (Or inspire a creator to never make anything else for sims 3 until they stop breaking it. )

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Lab Assistant
#43 Old 18th Oct 2011 at 3:15 AM
I don't know what the simming community would do without you guys. I really hope all this mess is sorted out as I've invested a LOT of time in downloading decorations over the years... It would suck to see them all just have to go like that.
Forum Resident
#44 Old 18th Oct 2011 at 3:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Krispykreme1977
(because if you use the simpack of it the game recognizes it as not boughten by me and it dosent show up ingame) so i bypassed this by macking in a .package file then combining the files to one (to speed the game. So if EA fixed the store content, would this also be included cause its store content? Or no?

Piracy is not supported in MTS.
If you extracted the store sims3pack to package, it would not be supported by EA fix.
The underground store discussion is here:
http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/s...opic=18888.1550
Lab Assistant
#45 Old 18th Oct 2011 at 3:22 AM
I sure do hope someone would eventually create a batchfix program similar to the blue lot fixer. Looks like i would have to fix up and recombine my CC.
Test Subject
#46 Old 18th Oct 2011 at 3:27 AM
Thanks so much, noxnoxnox and Ghost sdoj, for your replies. :-) I can't tell you how glad I am to hear the words, "All is not lost"! I am SO keeping my fingers crossed that Delphy (or someone else) creates an auto-fix-thingy. Although I'm sure I could whittle down my CC SOME, I wouldn't want to give too much of it up, so doing it all myself could be a HUGE PIA! This may indeed, be the time to delve into the S3PE though, perhaps for a favorite object or two. ...and you're right, Ghost sdoj, maybe this will lead to some mad-creatin'! ;-) Keep your fingers crossed for a fix everybody. I think in the meantime, I'mma go read those S3PE instructions REALLLY carefully and give it a go. Thanks guys !!!! :-)
Test Subject
#47 Old 18th Oct 2011 at 3:58 AM
Is it just animations that are broken? Or have the objects stopped functioning completely?
In the Arena
retired moderator
#48 Old 18th Oct 2011 at 4:19 AM
It is any object that has Slots, ie any that you approach to interact with and has a menu. Even some that don't have Interaction menus but have Slot placements (like static decor) may be wrong in some manner - sinking / floating / things like that.
Lab Assistant
#49 Old 18th Oct 2011 at 5:28 AM
Default missed word
Is it possible EA will come up with another patch...this affects every creator out there that made custom content. Wouldn't it be better to wait and sit tight...any word from EA? I heard a few creators are trying to come up with a script. Hate to see all the creators panic and come out with new versions when an script will fix it. For now now couldn't we disable custom content and wait for the script geniuses to come up with a fix?
Scholar
#50 Old 18th Oct 2011 at 5:40 AM
Given EA's past history they won't fix CC slots in the next patch as they never have fixed problems with CC in the past. Substantial changes to objects were made both with Sims 1 Unleashed and Sims 2 Pets and it was left entirely up to the creators to fix their CC, in most cases EA didn't even update their own custom objects such as the items on the Exchange, the preorder gifts, or Store content, it was left up to modders like Lord Darcy in TS2, to add slots, update to function with new EP's and SP's and repair non-working interactions and animations that were FUBAR as a result of in game changes. And it has been the same way for TS3 so far, the community had to come up with fixes for blue lots with WA, and broken doors and windows with Late Night. EA didn't come up with the fixes for that people like Inge and Peter, Delphy and Granthes fixed those problems.

This is how EA sees things .... CC that breaks as a result of changes made to the game in EP's/SP's is the responsibility of the CC/Modding community to fix, in other words EA might have broken it but they didn't make it in the first place so it isn't their problem, they only see fixing their own game items as their responsibility (and given how many things have broken w/ EP's, SP's and patches that they have never truly fixed and have left up to the Creating/Modding community to fix like Photography for instance, they don't even see the stuff they make themselves as being their responsibility to fix).
Page 2 of 19