Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Sep 2011 at 8:05 PM
Default Remove the kitchen?
I've only been playing a few days but overly addicted already but had a question about the King's staff being all up in his business.

The second floor of course has the kitchen constantly flooded with staff to the point they steal a meal I cooked before I can get to it. They are up there all hours of the night bathing and cooking.

To make more room for the family and to get rid of the annoying staff could I remove that kitchen entirely and make it into a kid's room? I figure the reception room is right next door so I could just cook up a few meals there when needed.

If there was no kitchen on the main property will the servants (and my npc family) still find a reason to flood the second floor constantly and will they be smart enough to go elsewhere (such as the reception hall) to cook or will they die if there is no kitchen on the main property?

I thought about using more of the entire castle property as one home instead of just the King's central location as the reception hall has a kitchen already and the Knight's section has a war table already so why duplicate these things multiple times? I could instead give the staff their bathroom and other used items downstairs.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 8th Sep 2011 at 9:05 PM Last edited by Hzarg : 9th Sep 2011 at 5:10 PM.
This should not be a Gameplay category, it is WCIF, but whatever.

Try changing the privacy options, by floor click, set to Owner. Might help.

I agree with your playing style, and with what you're saying in theory.
But each profession's home must have a bed, fireplace, et cetera. Because the game does not treat the castle as one building.

Edit: Sorry if I sounded grumpy.
Test Subject
#3 Old 8th Sep 2011 at 9:31 PM
Yeah, each lot needs a kitchen item - I'd maybe move it to the lower left room unless you're using that for other stufff. I have limit to household privacy on most of the rooms (aside the throne), which helps the people flow (it took forever to use the tactical map before). As a note, limit to household doesn't always limit to household in terms of their ability to enter, but it seems to prevent them from using item interactions, which gives them little reason to be there (but allows through-fare). Household for the monarch seems to include the royal advisor, servant(s), build master, and family (and sometimes though not always other kingdom monarchs).
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 8th Sep 2011 at 9:56 PM
I guess one problem is I added the mod that makes the castle more 'royal' with extra guards, advisers, and other staff. I am now seeing the consequences with so many people scrambling to eat all at the same time, crowding around the tactical map, and stuff like that.

I'll try remodeling my castle tonight to better manage the crowding problem and keep most of the people downstairs.

Speaking of crowded castle, last night I found it amusing when I was doing a fishing tournament on my doctor hero, she had the choice of paying the entry free or sweet talking the royal adviser into waiving it. Next thing I know the adviser and doctor are shagging in the King's bed and he walks in and pitches a fit. Gave me a good laugh and she got the fee waived!
Instructor
#5 Old 8th Sep 2011 at 10:41 PM
I've started moving the kitchen to the room under the bathroom, adding two fireplaces and an oven, only problem is, now I've got servants leaving plates of food in the kings room, even with the privacy settings.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 9th Sep 2011 at 3:46 AM
Quote: Originally posted by DarthKitsune
I've started moving the kitchen to the room under the bathroom, adding two fireplaces and an oven, only problem is, now I've got servants leaving plates of food in the kings room, even with the privacy settings.

I put the kitchen in the same spot tonight and made the old kitchen in my King's 'war room'. I do not have the plate issue but I have a table enough to sit 8 people so it seems to be enough seating.

I also did add a small table next to the oven as a place for them to sit a meal when they can't squeeze into the table with pathfinding issues. I use the table myself to place a feast myself because the swarm of sims all get into a fight trying to squeeze together to grab a plate when I put it on the dinner table.
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 9th Sep 2011 at 9:19 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Zanarkin
I've only been playing a few days but overly addicted already but had a question about the King's staff being all up in his business.

The second floor of course has the kitchen constantly flooded with staff to the point they steal a meal I cooked before I can get to it. They are up there all hours of the night bathing and cooking.

To make more room for the family and to get rid of the annoying staff could I remove that kitchen entirely and make it into a kid's room? I figure the reception room is right next door so I could just cook up a few meals there when needed.

If there was no kitchen on the main property will the servants (and my npc family) still find a reason to flood the second floor constantly and will they be smart enough to go elsewhere (such as the reception hall) to cook or will they die if there is no kitchen on the main property?

I thought about using more of the entire castle property as one home instead of just the King's central location as the reception hall has a kitchen already and the Knight's section has a war table already so why duplicate these things multiple times? I could instead give the staff their bathroom and other used items downstairs.

In one kingdom I removed the benches from both side gardens in front of the castle. I moved them to the outside of the garden railings. Then I moved in a spit and a fire place and an oven. I used the space on the other side as a seating/eating area with the small round tables. I put a cask at the outside entrance to the seating area. It sort of functions like a royal beergarten. And the sims sleeping on the benches aren't parked so close to the castle entrance.

You can't delete the monarch's war table. It has functions necessary to the monarch that the knight's version doesn't have.
Instructor
#8 Old 9th Sep 2011 at 9:49 AM
what did you do with the Benches? I couldn't delete them or place them in my inventory.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 9th Sep 2011 at 12:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by DarthKitsune
what did you do with the Benches? I couldn't delete them or place them in my inventory.

You cannot delete the benches, true. But you can move them. They can be moved to just outside the garden railings. They can be moved to just outside the main castle doors. I even moved them to just outside the main castle courtyard in the front so they faced the cliff in front of the castle. You can put them just outside the courtyard stairs. There's lots of places they can be moved to. I move the annoying green plants to more advantageous positions as well. Experiment a little with them. You can disappear them into the raised area of the courtyard too. You will need to use the moveobjects on cheat to do it. But it gives you more options to play with.
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 9th Sep 2011 at 1:28 PM Last edited by ladyskye : 9th Sep 2011 at 1:40 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Hzarg
This should not be a Gameplay category, it is WCIF, but whatever.

Gentle Hzarg; I believe the poster was merely interested in finding out whether he could play without the kitchen or not. I do not believe the poster wanted to know if there was a mod for or how to mod it so it could be played without one.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 9th Sep 2011 at 3:02 PM
I played up until around 1 am last night mainly reorganizing the castle

With 'moveobjects on' you get access to the entire front court yard so that was a tremendous help. Putting stuff to do outside the confines of the interior has spread out the sims greatly. I have chess and game tables out front as well as a pit barbeque and some statues and fountains. Plenty of sims entertain themselves for hours outside vs all huddled up inside.

The first floor left room is now the kitchen with fireplace pot, oven, larder and 8 seating table. I was also able to recess the wine barrel into the wall so it still works, takes up less room, and looks like a custom install job

On the far right room I placed a tub with privacy wall for the servants, large book case, bar, seating, and scribe table for advisers. With all of this on the first floor I have very few sims venturing up to the second floor where the left room is bath, middle room is bedroom, and far right room is the King's war room with map table, scribe table, and all kinds of cool war stuff laying around. Upstairs is set to family short of the war room as it is set for household but usually only one or two advisers venture there.

I was proud of my work after it was all done.